Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2006, 18:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wading Through Flooded Mumbai On Road Experience(Pictures+Video comming up)

Guys i had a scary experience today.Had been to kalina university today at 9 o clock in the morning with one of my friend.It was raining almost the entire night yesterday and dad had warned me about taking our 800 and going but thought that rain might stop soon and waterlogging get cleared out.
Set out from our ghatkopar recidence.Did not seem all that bad just rains comming but there was no waterloggin in ghatkopar.Entered ghatkopar west and as soon as went near fatima high school water was almost till half of the trucks tyres so u can imagine my 800s tyres are about little more than 3/4th gone and i was driving in the middle of the road when an over enthru truck guy starts from the opposite side right in the middle.The edges of the road had even more water.Frantically flash him to move over otherwise my car would have been history.He does not move and starts comming head on and i have to enter the left lane and waster starts comming from the doors inside.Quickly wade through and when i press the accelerator the car is jerking and i can keep the clutch is slipping and car is jerking big time with rapid loss of power.Ride through without anyfurther water logging anywhere.Reach kalina university and stand in the line for 3 hours after which when my turn comes i get to know that i have to go to kherwadi to get some documents made and then only will i get my eligblity form.Run to kherwadi with my friend who was along with me all this while.Get the documents done after waiting there for about 3 hours.Its almost 4.30 now.And start on my way back.The closest route from kherwadi is back to kalina and kurla.Decide to take the lbs marg this time but it is full of traffic for almost a km so change my mind and take the premier road again.Enter the premier road and again water logging till half my car tyre.Slow the car down and stick the car in 1st and rev it to a certain extent in 1st gearwithout changing to 2nd.The clutch pedal is vibrating dont know why.The area is passed without without any problems and heave a sigh of relief.Reach fatima high school and to my disbelief water has reached to even higher levels there.A qualis in front of me has his exhaust,and water till more than its rear bumper.Signal the car behind me to stop and my friend and me are thinking what to do.I ask my friend to get down due to which the suspension will rise a little and we might be able to make it.A bike guy in front of me starts moving and i wait for him to clear and then make a move.In between his bike stalls and he starts pushing it and i thought he will come to the side of the road but this dude starts pushing it right in between with oncomming traffic from the opposite side and i have already taken the plunge in the water.Nail the whole accelerator down and as water rises the sound of the engine completely changes as the exhaust pipe is submerged so is the silencer.I frantically honk this dude to move aside as i dont know how long would my car be able to take all this.He gives a blind eye to my honking and i crawl behind that guy with full throttle down and leaving the clutch little little.My friend is busy taking videos and pictures of all this.Wade through and wait for my friend to come.Acceleration has gone down considerably and the clutch feels like its slipping.Go directly to ravi automobiles and show the service advisor there the car.He says that drive the car and eveything will be fine.He said if water has gone in the clutch it will evaporate.The Buck(stopper) which is present on the clutch which is to check the timing is intact.So i guess water would have not gone inside through there.Then how come the clutch felt if it was slipping?and the engine suddenly lost power after the drive?technical gurus tell me what could have happened and should i check something out?pictures of this incident with videos comming up soon Thanks to my friend jay.
Old 3rd July 2006, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

hI Humyum,that was a good experience for you. Does the car feel any differrent after a few days..

Generally there is ...
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
should i check something out?
I would recommend checking your engine oil and gear oil for water contamination. If they are contaminated, they will appear milky.

Also get your car washed with a jet spray and get the oiling and greasing done.

Cheers!
Falcon
Old 5th July 2006, 19:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey how would water have got into the engine oil bro?its sealed from everyside and if through the way of air filter some water would have gone it would have been toast due to the intense heat due in the cylinder and would have come out from the tailpipe as evaporated water.And if more amount of water would have gone then my engine would have died on the spot.
I just got the small caps(black)caps which are present in the center of the wheel of the 800 sometime before the moonsoon so that waster does not readily enter the wheel bearings.Small precaution pays sometimes
Old 5th July 2006, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

I just received some pictures from a friend...
damn.. thats really bad!!!!

gosh,i've never seen anything like that!! Just curious to know, is anything being done to fix the drainage system? I've heard that its pretty bad,but somethings gotta be done about it..
Old 5th July 2006, 21:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure these pics are not from last years 26th july?
It isnt that bad this year. Or is it?

Drifter
Old 5th July 2006, 22:03   #7
BHPian

humyum,
please post those videos!
and donot donate them to any tv newschannel!
Old 5th July 2006, 23:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Are you sure these pics are not from last years 26th july?
It isnt that bad this year. Or is it?
yes - you are right drifter - these are last years pics. This year, it is not so bad ( until now .... TOUCHWOOD !!! )
Old 6th July 2006, 00:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm really not too sure if these were taken this year- the sheer sight of cars underwater gave me a jolt!
None-the-less,i hope this year isn't as bad,and things are under control.
Old 6th July 2006, 00:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

http://rapidshare.de/files/25032767/MOV00003.3gp.html
guys here is the link to the video.Although we took total 3 video clippings the others are not at all clear so did not upload them.This is the last video that we took while comming back from kherwadi.The truck guy started hammering our cars as soon as he entered the water.The rick in front of the truck is stuck.Note the truck guy driving almost in between where the water is less when he knows that that smaller cars should be given the road to drive in between as his truck will make it anyhow but poor cars like mine might not make it out.Also guys the format is 3gp and the video is comming Slant so sorry for all that.I really though the videos will be nice to post but they aint all that great.

Last edited by humyum : 6th July 2006 at 00:18.
Old 6th July 2006, 00:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Drifter and HKanitkar... I agree...these pics are from last years deluge itself... !
Old 6th July 2006, 10:15   #12
BHPian

humyum,
just saw ur video.
sorry to say that it was not clear enough and besides that it was shot improperly!
my neck is paining too much now!
post some pics pls!

i guess this much water is common in delhi too!

all i can say is that if with this much of rain, mumbai got just this much of flooding, mumbai people are really lucky because in delhi if the Rain-God sneezes even for couple of times, half of delhi gets submerged!
Old 6th July 2006, 15:13   #13
BHPian

yikes! i remember way back in '96 i was in bombay and had to walk through chest high water - but those snaps from last year are pretty gory - its like a burial at sea for those automobiles .

gosh, hope to high heaven's that doesnt get repeated - ever! and yup, i agree, delhi's drainage isn't all that great - with all the fly-overs and underpasses and telcom companies digging up stuff willy-nilly - god help us!

a tip leart the hard way- even if you're in a big SUV and think you can rush through - be careful !! A few years ago I tried to be smart and was surging ahead on the left side of the road along the footpath ( at the mathura road turn from karni shooting range) and plonk! the wheel goes in a massive hole somewhere under the smooth layer of water! some grating cover had collapsed!

result - had to switch to 4L to get out - and thanks to the 'n' number of holes in the footwell of the gypsy - i had stinky carpets !

PS: all the other cars were sticking to the centre of the road ( and some were grinning real wide when they saw me get stuck!)

so guess its safer to go where you see someone else has passed safely!
Old 7th July 2006, 09:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just saw ur video. sorry to say that it was not clear enough and besides that it was shot improperly!
I totally agree. Everything was blurry and shaky, like those Paris Hilton sex videos!

Last edited by amit : 7th July 2006 at 09:48.
Old 7th July 2006, 11:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys about the videos.I had already started the thread and promised that pictuers+videos comming up as i trusted my friends abilities with the mobile of his but:( but after seeing the videos myself i think that mobile is a waste in his hand..sorry again about the videos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks