Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2014, 22:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kerala PWD to standardise speed breakers

On any unfamiliar road, unmarked and unscientific speed breakers and humps are often the cause of many accidents as this catch the drivers by surprise.
Not to mention the heart wrenching scenarios of those underbelly scrapes due to the 'hill' type humps.

Almost couple of years ago, a division bench of the Kerala High Court had even ordered the removal of all speed breakers placed on the National Highways, State Highways and other roads in the Kerala State.

Yesterday, the Hindu had published stating that Kerala State Public Works Department (PWD) will standardise speed breakers and humps in roads maintained by it to ensure that these conformed to the prescribed safety standards. This will be a very welcome news as we can now drive without fearing for that hump which can sprout out of nowhere along a good road.

The guidelines were issued by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to State PWDs.

Kerala PWD to standardise speed breakers-speed-breaker.png
  • Speed breakers and humps shall not be generally installed on State highways and main district roads.
  • It could be made of either bitumen mix or concrete.
  • Ready-made rubber speed breakers/ humps should be installed only at places where the speed would be less than 25 km per hour.
  • Retro reflective road marking paint to be used to make the markings visible.
  • Retro reflective warning sign, 'Hump Ahead' to be provided 40 metres ahead.
  • One row of uni directional raised pavement marker, road studs, at a spacing of 500 mm, to be provided on both sides of the hump.
  • Install rumble strips with thermoplastic paint ahead of speed breakers and humps as a mechanism to alert motorists.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5691934.ece

Last edited by sarathlal : 16th February 2014 at 22:38.
sarathlal is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 06:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Kerala PWD to standardise speed breakers

This would be a very good thing for motorists when implemented. But why is it that I have this nagging, cynical thought that this will not be implemented?
There are ever so many unscientific bumps on some state highways, near schools, places of worship etc - and I feel this would be another of those intentions that would just vanish without a trace in the forthcoming months. Love to be proven wrong though.

Last edited by wilful : 17th February 2014 at 06:02.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:43   #3
e2p
BHPian

re: Kerala PWD to standardise speed breakers

This is a very welcome news indeed and will be a boon for all of us using the roads in Kerala.

My drives are usually TVM-CLT on the highway but some streches are wide, some narrow, some curved and one toll way is there for a little bit of spirited driving. Also to add to that there are motorists who take highways as 'my way's. So altogether the journey is a fun ride.

Therefore it would be good to standardize the roads, especially the highways, as a whole.
Old 17th February 2014, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala PWD to standardise speed breakers

I think the problem is not with the govt installed speed breakers but the local colony/society "authorities"/bungalow owners who feel justified in placing obnoxious shaped speed breakers near their abodes.
Old 19th February 2014, 16:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very welcome news. I'd love to see this expanded throughout the country and implemented effectively.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I think the problem is not with the govt installed speed breakers but the local colony/society "authorities"/bungalow owners who feel justified in placing obnoxious shaped speed breakers near their abodes.
Nope, the problem is with all speed breakers whether built by government or localites, at least here in Mumbai. These speedbreakers are built at the whims of the contractors with no regard to rules and guidelines issued by government agencies. Sadly, even RTO or PWD do not bother to enforce the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Very welcome news. I'd love to see this expanded throughout the country and implemented effectively.
+1 to that. Recently Chennai Municipal Corporation had decided to standardize the speed breakers in the city. Related news in link below.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14010...-breakers-come

A related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...breaker-2.html (Ideal dimensions of a Speed Breaker)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks