Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 19:33   #196
BHPian

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

I have booked a Creta with Myles for the Aug 15th long weekend. Any recent feedback for Myles in Bangalore?
I called them to check their policy for additional drivers. They claim anyone with a valid license can drive and I am liable for any damages caused to the car. They further said that the liability is at Rs. 5000 even for additional drivers. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 23rd July 2016, 09:47   #197
BHPian

Delhi's Voler car and Zoom are good but with limited car options. Also for our upcoming Leh trip we asked for XUV but they couldn't give any assurance for availability. Myles have all the available options as mentioned on their site, but their response always borders on suspicion. We desperately wanted a SUV for our trip and since our Own XUV is already committed for family requirement during the period we decided for Car Rental. Finally better sense prevailed and we rescheduled our trip to enable us to take our own XUV now. However I am keen to try the self driven rental in future for a day or two trip nearby Delhi.
OT- How is the option of driver on rent as offered by driveU. Since my father in law avoid driving in night, I thought of trying this option for night trips. However seeing the unruly behaviour of Ola and Uber drivers in Delhi I am wary of hiring a total stranger to drive own car. What is the liability and what if he just wouldn't wait and moves out while my family is having dinner is slightly of concern. The car company may claim anything on website but ultimately the drivers are going to be from Delhi and I have my own doubts while dealing with total strangers handling my car.
Old 10th August 2016, 07:52   #198
BHPian

[quote=Voyager-1;3963826]

Attachment 1502530

Does Myles reimburse road tax for Andhra?
Back at home, since I had to take my vehicle to Andhra for 2 days, I checked the vehicle documents to see if it had any valid Andhra permit. Didn't find any. I called up the MCC to check if they would reimburse full/part of the permit fees, since it costs Rs. 2600+ and valid for one year. The MCC didn't agree to reimburse any portion of the permit fees. (On the contrary, Zoom car reimburses full permit fees for Andhra). The Myles policy also stated the same. I fail to understand what stops them from reimbursing this fees? This is utterly unfriendly to the customers. So, my car rental expenses just went up by 40%. At the Andhra RTO checkpost, the RTO Inspector himself was sitting at the counter. I requested him to check in their database to see if the car already had any valid permit. There was none. I paid up fees for the next one year and continued my journey.

Hi Voyager-1,

I had to face similar issue while I rented car with KA registration and had to travel to Srisailam (AP). I rented car from Zoomcar and was being told the AP permit charges will be reimbursed.

When I reached Andhra checkpost after crossing Tada in Chennai. I approached the inspector to give me permit for AP. However I was declined the permit.

The RTO inspector told me that he has given many warnings and also a official notice zoom car stating not to rent out car for a person who doesn't have a commercial license. He gave me rule book which states, yellow or travel board car can be driven only by a person who holds a commercial license. Hence it's illegal to give permit since I did not have commercial license.

I reached Srisailam and reached chennai back but nobody stopped asking the permit.

When I brought up this case with Zoomcar rep, he told that next time you rent a car to travel to AP, please inform the rep in advance so that they can whatsapp the AP permit.

I am not sure if this rule exists in Motor vehicles act.

Can Senior members please confirm whether driving travel board car requires commercial license? And If we don't have one, the RTO cannot issue a permit.
Old 10th August 2016, 19:22   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
He gave me rule book which states, yellow or travel board car can be driven only by a person who holds a commercial license. Hence it's illegal to give permit since I did not have commercial license.
I think the RTO inspector is not aware of the different type of registration (Black board) as compared to regular taxis that are yellow board.
I have rented from Myles and Zoomcar a few times and traveled out of state, and I have sometimes had questions from RTO officials at checkposts like "Why are you not wearing taxi driver uniform?" I have simply responded by asking them to look at the number plate of the car and telling them "It is a black plate, not a taxi, it is a self drive rental". Further details about this kind of registration are in the document pack that is provided by Zoomcar and he is welcome to read through it. That has always sufficed.

If the official is still not convinced, you may call the Zoomcar call center and ask the executive to talk to the RTO official. Zoomcar mentions on their website that you should call the helpline number if you have any issues with RTO and their executive will sort it out.

If a commercial license was really required in this case, the business model of Zoomcar, Myles, Voler and a bunch of other such services would have been illegal. I bet that the legal departments of these companies have studied the rule book thoroughly before investing into building these businesses and have a better understanding of the rule book than some RTO inspector at some check post somewhere.

On the other hand, it is really risky to drive into the state without a permit. In case of any checking or any untoward incident with the car, that can put you into a potentially very messy situation.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:18   #200
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a one-week long trip to Kerla later this year. I will land in Kochin and go on the regular bird-watching circuit - Thattekad, Munnar, Valparai.

I need to rent a self-driven vehicle for this; any recommendation for such a service in Kochin?

Nitin
Old 24th August 2016, 14:38   #201
BHPian

Self driven car rentals in Bhubaneswar

Planning for a trip to Puri, Konark and Chilka lake in October. I'm looking for self driven rental cars from Bhubaneswar. Most of the big players (zoom-car, myles, etc.) do not have a presence there. Any pointers appreciated!
Old 24th August 2016, 14:56   #202
Team-BHP Support

Re: Self driven car rentals in Bhubaneswar

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrajdr View Post
Planning for a trip to Puri, Konark and Chilka lake in October. I'm looking for self driven rental cars from Bhubaneswar. Most of the big players (zoom-car, myles, etc.) do not have a presence there. Any pointers appreciated!
Check out Car4Hires. Must be a local operation within Bhubaneshwar and are contactable on 0172 504 6349.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 20:40   #203
BHPian

Natrajdr, are you sure about Myles because I have rented from them in Bhubaneshwar, though I am talking about 2014. They used to have a nice little operation at the airport itself.
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 09:17   #204
BHPian

Guys,
I am planning to use myles car (7 seater) and travel from karnataka (bangalore) to kerala for about 4 days. I read recently that kerala has increased the taxes and especially for Karnataka it is on the higher side. Does anyone know how much I will end up paying. I think myles does not refund the money too.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:52   #205
BHPian

Im planning to use Myles rental next week for a short trip. Have chosen the pickup location as Chennai Airport as it is the closest to my residence (for the chosen car). Have anyone used Myles from Chennai airport, where is their office located in Chennai Airport. More importantly, i will not have an air ticket and will not be able to actually go inside the airport, can this location be accessed by non-travelers?
There is no number listed for the actual pickup location
Old 14th October 2016, 17:19   #206
BHPian

One good thing about Myles is that it is available in lot of locations like Jaipur, Ahmadabad, Goa etc.

I recently hired an Innova from Jaipur for 8 days. Car was running well and pickup and drop was smooth. They could have cleaned the car better and it was banged up a little bit but otherwise I had no problems.

Innova is surprisingly easy to maneuver for a car of this size and I was able to take on some very narrow roads in Pushkar Ajmer and Jaipur during my travels.

very comfortable ride.
Old 29th October 2016, 17:27   #207
BHPian

Used Myles rental this week and the experience was very good.
They had a discount of 25% on the total amount till Diwali. Booked an XUV 500 and chose the pickup point as Chennai Airport. The day before the booking date, received a call from Myles and confirmed the booking details and the pickup location. The cars are located in the Kandhanchavady branch and will be driven down to the respective locations. Since I had read a lot of mixed reviews, decided to pick up the call from the lot so that they can change the car if needed. Asked the person who called me if I can park my Nano in their yard. He agreed and said I can park in their parking lot.

On the date of pickup, drove down to the OMR, Kandhanchavady location. While coming from Thoripakkam, need to take a left after Apollo hospitals and then a left at the 4-rd junc, its a parking lot 3 buildings down the lane. They do not have any signboard, but you can see a lot of KA registered self-driven cars parked inside. Drove in and they had 2 young chaps who immediately started doing the paperwork for the delivery. They took my license and passport, made a copy and returned them back. Needed to sign a paper explaining the fines/charges. Cleaning charges were at Rs.3000, confirmed with the folks that this applies if the car is extremely dirty inside and outside. Also there is a speed limit of 100Km/Hr and they impose a fine of Rs200 for the first time, then 500 and then up until 1000 the subsequent times. The attendant then marked a checklist of the items on the car like Fire extinguisher, Myles branded Umberla, Toolkit, Spare wheel, Vehicle Documents. He explained all of the car documents in details and showed the validity as well. Then he noted down all the scratches on the car similar to how it is being done in a service center. Certain minor scratches he did not note down, but i did take a picture for my reference (more on that later). Then he handed over the car and started explaining details like how the reverse gear needs to be engaged and certain other pointers like this is a FWD car etc. All in all, the folks were knowledgeable and courteous.

The car allotted was a 2015 New Age XUV 500 W6. It had run 53269kms and was in good shape. The exteriors had very minor scratches and the interiors were clean. Only gripe was that vacuuming was not done on certain places like under the driver seat, gear lever cover etc. Learned that their vacuum cleaner got conked off and will be fixed soon. The car drove well, there was a very slight pull to the left at speeds above 50Kms, but not sure it was due to the road or alignment. But this was hardly noticeable. Picked the car at 10:00PM and planned the journey next morning to avoid any last minute surprises. Took the car back home and in the morning checked essentials such as tire pressure, windshield washer fluid, engine oil, all lights and controls. Noticed that the rear left tire had low pressure. Topped up air and started the journey. Tires were in decent condition though with good tread depth. During rest stops checked the tyre pressure and there were no drops.

The journey was from Chennai to Pudukkottai, NH45 was free of traffic after chengalpet. Engaged cruise control at ~97Km/Hr, drove all the way through at this speed. Till Trichy, cruise control can be used. After that the roads are narrow with hectic on-coming traffic. Maintained speeds between 50-80Kms. This is the first time I drove XUV 500 for a long distance, must say the drive was effortless. Knowing that there is a lot of reserve power helps to drop down speeds without second thoughts, getting back to cruising speeds is effortless. Expansion joints are hardly felt, did not have any chances of panic braking, hence cannot comment, but braking was very effective. Driving this car in and around Pudukkottai's narrow streets is a chore, every two wheeler/cycle coming close to you causes rise in heart beats . May be this is due to the fact my daily drive is a Nano.

During the return I was traveling solo, had chances to experience the acceleration and power of XUV (below 100 though) and must say i was mighty impressed. Have test driven XUV earlier but this was totally different. After entering Chennai, due to the mad Diwali traffic, took me ~3hrs to reach OMR from Perungalathur. Dropping off the car was quick and hassle free. The attendant noticed a scratch near the headlamp and bumper that was not noted down during pickup (during pickup the sheet was filled by a different person), thankfully I had a picture of the scratch that i took during the time of pickup and he readily accepted his mistake and apologized for it. Met the supervisor Krishna Kumar who was friendly and asked feedback about the overall experience and the car. Wanted to check-out Vento and Jazz in their parking lot and they readily obliged. Planning to take one of these in the future. Overall a very positive experience and will definitely recommend.

Total distance driven was 754Kms and the fuel consumed ~60Lts. Spent a lot of time in traffic and at least 45mins of idling during the entire travel as i was traveling with a baby.

Last edited by knaveen : 29th October 2016 at 17:28. Reason: removed spaces
Old 15th December 2016, 09:18   #208
BHPian

I came across this website by the name of www.turo.com

What is Turo.com?
Turo is a platform that allows car owners to safely rent their car to complete strangers. Well, not completely, as Turo takes care of identity verification for each driver. But it’s a neat way for owners to make a bit of extra money, and on the flipside travellers can conveniently rent a car for a lot less than through traditional rental agencies.
One can take it as AirBnB for cars where individuals are renting out their rides and in the process making some money.
Seems to be an interesting proposition for people travelling to States and having an itch to take rides for a spin ranging from muscle cars, SUVs and all the way upto Vans.
Pacific is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 15:09   #209
BHPian

Hello guys,

Need help.

My friend is travelling to Tirupati in (Etios rented from Auto ride website) from Bangalore and wants to know where and how the AP entry tax to be paid.

Also, is there any provision to pay this online.

Thanks in advance.

KK
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:39   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
But for someone looking to do Bangalore Mysore and back, I feel a 120 kmph limit is much better to work with than 100.

Suprisingly, zoom offers Fortuner but not Innova at Bangalore. I found that pretty surprising too.
Fully agree. 120kmph is much better a speed limit in the highways, if offered. Driving at 100kmph that too without a cruise control is quite tedious in our highways.

I find myles car options to be better than Zoomcar and the unlimited km option is also better. Zoomcar seem to be very restrictive in choices and pricing.

Most Viewed