Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:03   #271
BHPian

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

Used Myles Duster AWD from Chandigarh for my trip to Mashobra (Shimla) from 26th Jan to 30th Jan 2018. The pick up and drop was smooth and easy. The car allowed to me had done 25000 odd kms and was in a good mechanical condition. However the exteriors of the cars had several scratches and dents and few bits like electronic ORVM was not functioning.

However the Duster had brand new tires, the clutch was good and did its job perfectly through out the trip. I chose AWD because I was expecting snow and it did help me during my drive to Kufri where several cars were skidding and sliding all over.

In all a good experience. My security refund was initiated the next day and hopefully should reflect in my Account soon. INR 250 has been deducted from the deposit since the car was dirty when returned which I have accepted. I did get it washed before leaving Shimla but got dirty by the time I reached Chandigarh. A couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_5437.jpg  

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_5485.jpg  

tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:16   #272
BHPian

Query Post

I with my wife and 1 year old daughter are planning to travel to Coorg from Bangalore.

I will be taking an early morning flight from Mumbai -> Bangalore (pick up the self drive from Airport) -> Coorg(by evening).

Total drive (including roaming and return) is expected to be approximately 800 Kms. This will be covered in a span of 4 days.

Help required regarding:
1. Route from Bangalore to Coorg (any points en route will be nice).
2. Which self drive rental is advisable for ease?
3. What car would be better on this route? (Swift/Figo/Verna/Ecosport)

Thanks.
Old 5th February 2018, 03:22   #273
BHPian

I am going to attend a marriage at Valsad (with family), Gujarat on 20th Feb. Now I am planning to rent a self driven car from Pune for a week. I need your expert advice on the following points

1. If I drive a self driven car from (MH Registered) Pune to Gujarat any tax/ permit I have to buy? If so how much it costs? Also please advice where to get the permit.
2. Have checked various companies offering the self driven cars and found mychoize.com and VolerCars.com are offering cheaper rates. Can we go with one of these companies? Any feed back on them would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Query Post

Help required regarding:

Thanks.
1. Bangalore - Mysore - Coorg is the shortest and safer route. I have travelled on these route last month, except speed brakers (till Mysore) the road till Coorg is good.

3. In my opinion, a Swift is more than enough for this route as the route is mostly well laid tar road. An ecosport will give more pleasure to drive.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2018 at 12:15. Reason: B2B post
ForeRunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 10:22   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Query Post

I with my wife and 1 year old daughter are planning to travel to Coorg from Bangalore.

I will be taking an early morning flight from Mumbai -> Bangalore (pick up the self drive from Airport) -> Coorg(by evening).

Total drive (including roaming and return) is expected to be approximately 800 Kms. This will be covered in a span of 4 days.

Help required regarding:

Thanks.
On the route. Best to refer/post on this thread (Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries) for any recent updates and for any specific questions you have.

The main roads are all in pretty good condition. Unless your destination or your plan involves any kind of off-beat roads, you should be good with any car.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:11   #275
BHPian

It seems that Myles have stopped service in Goa. Even in week days no cars seems to be available.
Old 21st February 2018, 21:45   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Query Post

Thanks.
I am planning a trip of around 900 kms spread over 7 days ex Bangalore Airport till Udupi and back. What company did you choose? I am thinking of Drivezy as they have an Airport pick up and drop. ( Ruled out Zoomcars due to bad experiences on tbhp). Planning to choose the 774 kms package including fuel and the cars available at Airport are Bolt, KUV100 & Xcent. May choose the Xcent.
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:05   #277
BHPian

Planning a trip to Coonoor and Ooty in the month of April, planning to take a self drive from Coimbatore Airport.

For 5 days, I'm assuming it would be at best 300 kms of driving (considering two way distance is 150 odd kms). For those 5 days, I'm getting the following options -

Myles - Post discounting and everything getting a Swift diesel at Rs. 4,500 plus fuel

Zoom - Rs. 8,500 including fuel

Both are for 590 kms, so distance shouldn't be an issue, so wanted to check that Myles seems a better option and have earlier used their services as well without any issues. Have heard horror stories of Zoom, but touchwood haven't faced any issues personally.

Recommendation?
Old 5th May 2019, 12:57   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Planning a trip to Coonoor and Ooty in the month of April, planning to take a self drive from Coimbatore Airport.
Hi Varun,

How was your experience and which option did you go with? I am planning a trip this month end and will appreciate any pointers for rentals and hotels to pick in Conoor, Ooty.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:00   #279
Team-BHP Support

A good friend shares this experience and asked me to put it up on the forum for the benefit of other members:

Quote:
Hi Vidyut,

Appreciate if you can post below message for people looking for self-drive rental car options. This is based on our recent experience with MYLES:-

1) We paid amount 24,662 rental + 5000 security deposit = 29,662rs for Automatic Tata Hexa to Myles. Myles asked us to pick this car from East West Rent A Car A block no 32 ground floor opp wadala RTO Sion, Mumbai, 400037

2) We coordinated with East-West ahead-of-time, to get Insurance documents & Car registration and verified that they were valid.

3) When crossing border from Maharashtra into Madhya Pradesh on 26th Oct, Check-post asked to pay per seat fee(which we agreed to pay = 100*7=700Rs) and show an Authorization/Permit for the car. This Authorization/Permit document was not provided to us. Check-post authorities said that without this Authorization document, car is subject to penalty of 13000Rs. When checked with East West(needed constant follow-up), they kept on saying they will send a soft-copy, but it never came till date; obvious since they did not have it! We called Myles and to our shock they said the following:-
At first they said that we need to co-ordinate directly with East West. Next after a few calls, they said that East West had asked us to not take the car out of state (which they clearly hadn't and anyways, do not have the authority to tell us as we have an agreement with Myles! Myles only restricts cars not to be driven to Leh/Ladakh). Next after a few calls, Myles asked us to look for a hotel near the border and spend the night there.

4) Finally, after being held-up for 3.5hrs at the border (with children & rest of family), we proceeded to drive into Madhya Pradesh and after repeated calls on the way with EAST WEST, they sent us a replacement car next day 27th Oct early morning at 3am. No help provided by Myles here to get car replacement and we were left to fight it out with East West. Infact, we ended up calling Myles atleast 6-7times & they kept on asking for more time to resolve the issue!

5) The replacement car (Marazzo) was a manual, base version. It was not cleaned from outside/inside; gutkha stains on windows & doors!

6) On our return from Indore to Pune, the car started producing a screeching noise (~3:30pm). We were left stranded on the highway and somehow reached a garage approx 15km away. There they said that the brake pads were worn-out and needed replacement brake pads, which were not available locally and we had to hitch-hike on a 2-wheeler on a highway to nearest big town Sinnar for replacement. Unfortunately, no parts available there as well since Marazzo is a new model. We went further 40km to Sangamer and were finally able to find replacement brake pad(cost 2800Rs). Using State transport bus, we returned back to garage in Nandur Shingote and the garage person was kind enough to wait for us until 10pm & replace it in front of us! The whole episode took us from 4pm to 12am. Rest of the family had to return to Pune in a State Transport bus.

Regards,
Parag
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:56   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A good friend shares this experience and asked me to put it up on the forum for the benefit of other members:
Such a sad experience.
All the more reason to buy a car than rent one. Unless companies take care of such incidents, how will anyone have any trust in taking a risk with self drive cars especially while traveling with family.
Old 21st November 2019, 14:07   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Such a sad experience.
All the more reason to buy a car than rent one. Unless companies take care of such incidents, how will anyone have any trust in taking a risk with self drive cars especially while traveling with family.
Rental cars in India are heavily abused . Partly due to illiterate folks who rent it and rest due to bad roads and driving condition. Since you can get a rental car with driver for almost same price, I prefer this over self drive.
Old 10th August 2021, 16:56   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
I came across this website by the name of www.turo.com

What is Turo.com?
Turo is a platform that allows car owners to safely rent their car to complete strangers. Well, not completely, as Turo takes care of identity verification for each driver. But it’s a neat way for owners to make a bit of extra money, and on the flipside travellers can conveniently rent a car for a lot less than through traditional rental agencies.
One can take it as AirBnB for cars where individuals are renting out their rides and in the process making some money.
Seems to be an interesting proposition for people travelling to States and having an itch to take rides for a spin ranging from muscle cars, SUVs and all the way upto Vans.
Has anyone used these services in any of the countries outside India. Are there any such similar services. How convenient and reliable is it for customers from India.
Old 10th August 2021, 18:04   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Has anyone used these services in any of the countries outside India. Are there any such similar services. How convenient and reliable is it for customers from India.
It would take a certain degree of daring or perhaps recklessness to allow random strangers to use one's car; unless it is already beat up and one doesn't care.
Old 20th August 2023, 10:34   #284
BHPian

any feedback for Revv/ Zoom self drive options in Ahmedabad.
Planning a road trip across state for a week.

Most Viewed