Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 21:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

For a full day rental, Zoom makes sense only if you're going to drive those 200 kms (since cost of fuel is included). Carzonrent is cheaper if your driving is lower, and the same price if it's 200+ kms.
There's another twist to Zoom. They have different rates for Mon-Thursday vs Fri-Sun.

If you book Mon-Thurs a Figo is 1,500/day including fuel for the 225kms and a Vento is 1,800/day.

Basically weekday rates are 40% lower than weekend rates.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 21:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Dunno about the other cities (wrt all cars being available), but in Goa the options are huge! Right from smaller & larger hatchbacks (Santro, Beat, i10, Swift, etc) to sedans (Dzire, City, Sonata, etc) to S/MUVs (Innova, Xylo, Tavera and even a Thar!).

The Thar (Crde) comes at a nice 2500 per day tag, and the pick-up location is extremely close to the railway station. These guys seem to expect a lot of business from Goa for sure
But the prices for Goa seem to be ridiculous. Rs. 1,500 for a Santro which you can easily get in under Rs. 1,000.

Rs. 1,900 for a Swift, which again should not be more than Rs. 1,200 with a little haggling from a local guy.

I'm sure the business will do well. There are a large number of people who would be willing to pay the premium to avoid the hassle of bargaining with a local, and to get a clean, well maintained car. I however do not see why I would not just arrange a car from the hotel (referring to the local car rental guys who the hotel staff know) and pay a lot less.

Edit: I just noticed that their website says "the car in Goa will be provided through a partner". The partner could be anyone. This means that there isn't even a guarantee of getting a clean, good condition car.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 19th February 2014 at 21:38.
Old 19th February 2014, 23:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Edit: I just noticed that their website says "the car in Goa will be provided through a partner". The partner could be anyone. This means that there isn't even a guarantee of getting a clean, good condition car.
The cars that they supply in Goa are from the following operators:

Push Car Rentals
Joey Car rentals

both these car rentals have various cars on rent,clean and much much cheaper then the Online website quotes given by myles or carzonrent
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 11:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear that self-drive cars are getting popular in India and happy to hear that the price includes insurance too.

Should be a better option than renting cars with drivers. If one has confidence in his driving, it will be better to drive ourselves than put our lives in the hands of others.

Also helps reduce the number of KM/year in one's own car. The car also seems to boast of features which will be very useful during long trips.

I hope it finds many customers and it grows to be successful like in the U.S.A. Could also open up a lot more cars to the used car market.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone rented a self-drive from Chennai? As per the website, the cars are to be collected from an area called Chitlapakkam.

Google maps shows the distance from Chennai Airport as 7.2 KMs and the estimated travel time is 14 minutes (hard to believe this estimate!)

AVIS allows to rent self-drive cars only 24 hrs after the booking via website or phone. Is there a similar period specific clause for carzonrent as well?
Old 20th February 2014, 13:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

With no limit of kms driven per day does it mean that vehicles like Thar could be rented out to drive to Ladakh? I don't think its economical for a family as a 15-20 day ladakh trip would mean 37500-50000 bucks for the rent part only (fuel separate) but if one would want to drive a Thar to Ladakh without having to buy one it might not be that bad a deal! Especially when one doesn't do Ladakh every now and then.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:45   #37
BHPian

Thanks for the review GTO. Carzonrent has been advertising quite a bit in Bangalore over the last few weeks.

After some half hearted attempts, its good to see the 'Self Drive' business kicking off in earnest in India. However, the challenge will come when cases of fraud and cheating are found and how the companies deal with it and carry on.

Personally, i think the deposit of 30,000.00 in Carzonrent is a little steep given that the car is covered under insurance for all possibilities. However if you are going to be driving only in city for couple of days, it scores over Zoom because you wont be consuming all the fuel.
siddarthbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 18:47   #38
BHPian

Interesting option if I need additional seats in case of visiting relatives but Zoom doesn't have innova/ertigas in Bangalore.

Any idea how does zoom's "Fuel included" work for trips lasting more than 3-4 days? And is there a minimum mileage caculation for fuel for 225 Kms?
Old 20th February 2014, 19:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
Any idea how does zoom's "Fuel included" work for trips lasting more than 3-4 days? And is there a minimum mileage caculation for fuel for 225 Kms?
If you take it for like 4 days and you need to fill gas they will reimburse the bill amount once you send them the bill.

There's no minimum mileage they need but their cars are fairly well tracked and I won't be surprised if they have a way to track fuel level incase someone decided to take some.
Old 20th February 2014, 21:49   #40
BHPian

Thanks GTO for an interesting thread.
I have something to share too, I hired E2O self drive the day they started the services in New Delhi, Booked it online but have to pick it up from airport was a pain. i was given the car at the airport only and all the documents were scanned at the airport itself. Although it was stupid idea to hire it, since from airport to south X only battery came down half way. anyways let me get to a point, when i was sitting in the car at the airport waiting for documents to be scanned. Cop came by and ask me to move the car, then he was the yellow number plate and says its a taxi where is your uniform?...Bang immediately carz on rent guys interfered and mentioned its DL 1N and it does not require uniform. i searched the hell to find more details regarding DL1N details but failed to find. these are black on yellow plates , so for sure there are pure taxis as compared to yellow on black like those private taxis of hotels and stuff. If someone has more information regarding this do share.
keralshobhit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 01:30   #41
BHPian

I just got a quote from Eco Rent a Car for a self drive vehicle for 29 days in Jalandhar or Ludhiana (Punjab):

- Ford Ikon/Etios - 51,000
- Toyota Corolla/Altis - 78,175

Quote includes CDW, GPS, VAT 12.5 %
Quote does not include a refundable security deposit of 60,000
Quote does not include fuel charges (to be borne by the client)
Quote also does not include a non-refundable delivery and collection charges of 21,000

So, that means approx. 2500 per day for a self drive Etios. I'd say it is on higher side.

Last edited by infotech58 : 21st February 2014 at 01:34.
Old 21st February 2014, 09:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
T

Basically weekday rates are 40% lower than weekend rates.
did a small calculation for Vento (since this is a car which is commonly avlbl @ both myles & Zoom

you can see from the comparison,
myles is cheaper by about 2.5k for a 3 day weekend drive of about 900km
while zoom is cheaper during the weekday..

good choices for the customer, though!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-comparison.jpg  

haria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 22:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In recent time, the only black background + yellow font plates I've seen have been on rides used by 5 star hotels. EPCG imports, perhaps?
Not sure if carzonrent is saving some bucks by registering it as a regular taxi vehicle. Any idea if self-drive rental cars are taxed on the commercial vehicle rates or as per the private car rates?

Here is a note from the Push website mentioned below.

Quote:
Legal self driven Cars, approved by Directorate of Transport , R.T.O., Govt. of Goa with Black No. Plate & Yellow Nos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
The cars that they supply in Goa are from the following operators:

Push Car Rentals
Joey Car rentals

both these car rentals have various cars on rent,clean and much much cheaper then the Online website quotes given by myles or carzonrent
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 12:05   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Carzonrent joins the rent-by-hour brigade.

Price inclusive of fuel:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 13202
Size:  71.8 KB
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 14:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After the experience in Delhi, I booked an Innova in Jaipur for a family trip from Myles.
Hello Vidyut.

Have you done a review or a feedback on your experience?
I'll be travelling to Ranthambore in the first week of April. Planning to use Myles for a self drive road trip from Jaipur airport.

It'd be great if you could share your experience. The details would help make the right choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks