Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 11:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I have already used there service in past without any hitch.

I have again booked an innova for my travel. I was discussing this with a friend and he told me i should check if i need a commercial D/L for driving around in a yellow number plate Car.

A small seed of doubt has grown, i called them up and asked. They told me my current D/d would do just fine. Any views ?
This has been discussed in this thread.
The cars are registered for the purpose of self drive rental, so your personal driving license will be sufficient.
Old 17th June 2014, 15:58   #77
BHPian

My dream run with carzonrent continues.

Hired a swift this time for a quick single day dash to Kasauli - Himachal Pradesh from Delhi and back.

As always flawless service and was provided a decently maintained swift with 13000 kms on it clock. Log & pic of car below

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-dscn0145.jpg

Hired at - 0300 hrs
Returned at - 0100 hrs.

Total run of 800 kms.

Commercials
  • Carzonrent charge - 1583
  • Fuel charge - 2200
  • Punjab road tax - 200
  • Himachal road tax - 610
  • MCD toll tax for Delhi - 45x2 = 90
Total - 4683

For a 800 km run, it comes to 5.85 rs/km all inclusive

A quick calculation tells me that taking my own petrol hatch would have been more expensive.

Brilliant deal from carzonrent

cheers
Vishwas

p.s. I have dealt with a different person at carzonrent on each occasion (5-6 by now). Each and every one of them was extremely courteous and professional. The person this time agreed to drop the car at my doorstep as it was an odd pickup time. During return I was dropped back home as well.
vishwaschettri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirugnnanam View Post
My experience with Carzonrent:

I did a trip to Goa from Hyderabad in the first week of May with three of my friends. This was my first time with a self-drive service, so I didn't know what should I expect. Anyway, I read through the terms given in their website, and booked a Toyota Etios for four days from May 1st to 4th. Total booking amount came to Rs. 8649.

Overall, a satisfying first-time experience with Carzonrent.
Thanks for your detailed feedback. Can you please share how much they charged you in full? And was it a diesel car? Is there a kilometer per day limit?
Old 17th June 2014, 16:40   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My experience with Carzonrent:

I did a trip to Goa from Hyderabad in the first week of May with three of my friends. This was my first time with a self-drive service, so I didn't know what should I expect. Anyway, I read through the terms given in their website, and booked a Toyota Etios for four days from May 1st to 4th. Total booking amount came to Rs. 8649.
Excellent feedback on this service. I never even know such a service is offered in India and also at such VFM rates

Can you please share on what basis the total booking amount came to INR 8649?

Is there any price list as per the segment of cars that Carzonrent charges that you can share?
Old 17th June 2014, 22:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for your detailed feedback. Can you please share how much they charged you in full? And was it a diesel car? Is there a kilometer per day limit?
Total value invoiced to me was Rs.8469/- (sorry, earlier in my post, I had mentioned it as Rs. 8649/-. Pardon for the typo). This was only for the car. Fuel charges had to be taken care by us. It is to be noted that the car was given to us with a full tank, and we had to return it with a full tank, which we did.

As far as I understand, all the cars available with Carzonrent in Hyderabad for self-drive are diesel cars. Also, there was no kilometre per day limit. In fact, I asked about this to the representative. I asked him whether there was anything complimentary service (such as free pick-up or drop). The guy replied that the unlimited kilometre they provide itself was a complimentary service that others service providers don't give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Excellent feedback on this service. I never even know such a service is offered in India and also at such VFM rates

Can you please share on what basis the total booking amount came to INR 8649?

Is there any price list as per the segment of cars that Carzonrent charges that you can share?
Sorry, the amount is actually Rs.8469/-. The break-up is like this:
Per day rent for car: Rs.1849/-
Total 4 days: Rs. 7396/-
VAT @ 14.5% - Rs.1073/-
Total: Rs. 8469/-

As I said earlier, fuel charges are extra and are to be borne by the customer; car would be given and should be returned with a full tank. We completed the trip in two tank fulls and a 10 litre top-up of diesel.

For self drive: They have Swift Dzire in the segment as that of Etios. They offer a 7 seater (Innova). Swift VDi in the hatchback segment. In fact, Swift would work out to be much cheaper than Etios or Dzire, I don't remember the exact price for Swift. Maybe, you can check up in their website for current rates.

Oh, I almost forgot. They also gave a grace period of two hours over the scheduled time to return the car. But nevertheless, we returned it on time.
Thirugnnanam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 10:15   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swift VDi in the hatchback segment. In fact, Swift would work out to be much cheaper than Etios or Dzire, I don't remember the exact price for Swift. Maybe, you can check up in their website for current rates.
The price of Swift VDi is Rs 1629 plus VAT per day, around 200 rupees cheaper per day. The only issue with that car is limited boot space, so only one couple can go on a long drive.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:46   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Carzonrent adds Mercs to the self-drive rental list.

Merc & Carzonrent will initially offer the C-Class & E-Class in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai. Carzonrent and Mercedes-Benz will also look at introducing other models into the Luxury Self-Drive service such as the SLK and AMG versions.

In related news, Carzonrent says that 'The Myles brand' will have a fleet of over a 1000 cars in the next 1 year, and grow to around 5000 cars in the next 3 years’ time.

Daily rental:

Mercedes C Class – Rs. 6,500 per day
Mercedes E Class – Rs. 9,500 per day

Hourly rental:
Mercedes C Class – Rs. 900 per hour (Up to 25 km, Fuel Included)
Mercedes E Class – Rs. 1,200 per hour (Up to 25 km, Fuel Included)
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Checked it on the carzonrent website now, below are the items to be kept in mind.

Merc C Class
Rs 6500 / Day
Fare Details
Minimum Billing: Rs 13000/-
VAT (@14.500%): Rs 1885/-
Total Fare: Rs 14885/-
Refundable Security Deposit (Pre Auth from card): Rs 70000.00 (Mastercard and Visa only)
Mandatory Documents
Passport / Voter ID card
Driving License
Credit Card

The deterrent here is the Credit card pre-authorization of Rs 70000. Does any one know what this pre-auth funda is?

Also, what about insurance? is it covered (it is not so clear for the website)?

If i remember correctly, other self drive companies like Zoom do not take this pre-auth credit card.

Also, zoom cars is offering Merc A class at 3900 INR and 3 series at 4500 INR. And if i remember correctly there is no security deposit.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 23rd June 2014 at 17:20. Reason: car name was missingfor the quote
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Pre authorisation must be nothing but they swipe your card for 70000 like they do in USA for fuel. They refund back the amount once you return the car.
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:01   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Does any one know what this pre-auth funda is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Pre authorisation must be nothing but they swipe your card for 70000 like they do in USA for fuel. They refund back the amount once you return the car.
Pre-authorization in this context is the same as "blocking" your card. basically this means that your credit line/ spending limit goes down by the amount blocked. In this specific case, 70000 is pretty high (most users don't have credit card limits exceeding 50K-100K per card, from my experience). That essentially means that if your card's credit limit is 80,000 blocking it for 70K leaves you with only 10,000 to spend on other stuff.

However this is not the same as charging your card. Please refer this link for a detailed explanation in the context of hotel and car rental bookings.

Just went through the entire thread and one member reports that when pre-auth didn't work they asked if they could charge his card for the whole amount and refund it later. So this may be a Plan B that Carzonrent use!

Last edited by noopster : 23rd June 2014 at 19:03.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:27   #86
BHPian

What's keeping me away from Carzonrent is 3 things:

1.> User's liability (No clear terms. Could be unlimited)
2.> The senseless Pre-Auth block (because there is no clear answer on liability, what's the point in security deposit)
3.> The humongous number of negative reviews and fraudulent activities (please see moutshut.com)

The only self drive car rental service that I see worth your money in India is zoom. Hassle free, straight forward and affordable. the biggest plus point is insurance covers everything and you are maximum liable only for Rs.5000/-
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:31   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
The humongous number of negative reviews and fraudulent activities (please see moutshut.com)
If mouthshut is your only source, I would suggest that you look for others. You only find one kind of review on mouthshut: negative. Look what they have to say about our beloved forum:

http://www.mouthshut.com/websites/Te...iews-925045054
Old 26th June 2014, 08:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
If mouthshut is your only source, I would suggest that you look for others. You only find one kind of review on mouthshut: negative. Look what they have to say about our beloved forum:

http://www.mouthshut.com/websites/Te...iews-925045054
A motoring website is a different class than a service you pay money for. It's easy to complain aobut something that was already free, but if someone is complaining after they paid money for it, it kinda deserves to be taken note of.

Having said that, no, it's just not moutshut that is my source, I placed that here because that was the only place with multiple reviews in the same place. There are a lot more around if you google. Just remember that although you are googling, these are real complaints by real people(atleast most of them). Something like not returning your pre-auth amount within the stipulated time for a number of people is amount to a fraudulent activity.

Also, if you look at the complaints, almost of all them have the same pattern which means it's the same thing happening over and over again. Don't get me wrong, there might be a lot of people who are satisfied with the service but looking at the number of similar incidents, it's only a matter of time and luck that the satisfied customer falls into the other half.

For those who have already tried Zoom, you know what I am talking about when comparing a service like Carzonrent

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 26th June 2014 at 08:43.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

For those who have already tried Zoom, you know what I am talking about when comparing a service like Carzonrent
You are correct there! Zoom is much better IMO.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:33   #90
Team-BHP Support

I had booked an Innova in Jaipur from Myles for 3 days in April. Unfortunately I could not travel due to an injury and use the booking. I cancelled a week in advance of the booking date. I got an acknowledgement from them promptly that the payment would be refunded.

I forgot about it and I realised 2 weeks ago that no refund was given on my credit card. Shot off a complaint mail and they replied after 2 days that they would refund the same. One week later I saw the refund.

I haven't a rented a car from them but their refund process is not exactly a smooth. It needs follow up. Though one follow up was enough to get the refund.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks