Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 23:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

Took a Myles (Carzonrent's self-drive service) during my trip to Goa last week. Note that Myles in Goa is served by a partner.

TL;DR: Carzonrent conveniently forgets to update the partner who arranged a rickety car in the last moment, complaints to carzonrent went to deaf ears, next day exchanged the car negotiating with the partner, wasted a few hours + some money in the deal.

Long story: 4-5 days before our trip to Goa, I booked a self-driven Innova in Carzonrent's website. The booking starts 8:30am on Wednesday and extends upto Sunday morning (4 days). Received a call from carzonrent in first morning telling me the partner has been notified and he'll call in due time. Past the scheduled time no call was received, so we call back carzonrent (note that it is very difficult to go thru' their call center because of at least 5-10 mins waiting), who repeat the same story, but this time we insist they give us the contact number of the partner. Calling the partner was an unpleasant surprise - he said carzonrent informed him just now so he doesn't have a car ready in at least next 2 hours. Called back carzonrent who said they'll look into it and call back, which they never did. Negotiated with the partner to drop the car in South Goa (for a charge) because we were already late for day's schedule. The car that came was really pathetic, an unmaintained private (whiteboard) Innova with 163000km on odo, which shakes uncontrollably when cranked as well when on the move, the T-BELT light staring at your face all the time and we could notice 20 defects in 10 minutes. Sending the car back would've compromised the agenda so we carried on South Goa exploration with that. Next morning made 4 calls to carzonrent each of which was closed with a promise they'll call us back, so we decided to work with the partner for a replacement. Though they denied availability of another car initially, later they said an Ertiga or another Innova can be arranged if I care to visit their office and pick up. After lunch at Martin's corner we arrived in their office, and another private Innova arrived after 10 mins. This was in a better condition, but unfortunately the middle row seats have been covered in such a way that it's not possible to fasten seat belts. We rejected, they insisted, however we stood on our 'no (mid-row) seat-belt no ride' ground. They said if I come back tomorrow I can get a Honda City v-tec (he mentioned thrice that it'd be an AT, and finally I told him I drove thousand miles in US so AT is no problem if he gets me one), but we weren't willing to ruin more time. I pointed to a Dzire but he said that's reserved for MiCar (which made me realize that it doesn't matter if I go to carzonrent or micar). Finally we negotiated a XUV 5OO (which was reserved for someone else later in the day) (at no extra charge). However even at 42000 km, there were quite a few issues with the car (I understand it's never been serviced) but thanks to my stars next a few days were fun. When returning (again I paid for a pickup), they try to fleece you with fuel level and imaginary scratches but I had to deny their claim firmly (because had photos of existing scratches taken in mobile during delivery). In the whole scheme of things, all carzonrent did is to take my money.

So, I wouldn't recommend Myles for Goa. If I'm a direct customer of the partner, maybe I'll get a better car.

Bonus pic: the XUV that gave us company thru the trip:
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-20151115_080154.jpg
kousik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 13:47   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Took a Myles (Carzonrent's self-drive service) during my trip to Goa last week. Note that Myles in Goa is served by a partner.

TL;DR: Carzonrent conveniently forgets to update the partner who arranged a rickety car in the last moment, complaints to carzonrent went to deaf ears, next day exchanged the car negotiating with the partner, wasted a few hours + some money in the deal.
]
Thanks Koushik. I booked a myles self drive sonata (they didn't have anything else in Stock ) about a week ago for use over the new year weekend. Debating canceling it and borrowing friend's car in goa following your experience. Only after booking the car, it shows the pickup point for the car as being in Margao.

So much for the 'airport location' it showed before booking.
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 12:25   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Thanks Koushik. I booked a myles self drive sonata (they didn't have anything else in Stock ) about a week ago for use over the new year weekend. Debating canceling it and borrowing friend's car in goa following your experience. Only after booking the car, it shows the pickup point for the car as being in Margao.

So much for the 'airport location' it showed before booking.
Myles or MiCar just runs the website (for Goa at least). They are no help in the field. They'll send you to a local partner and you're at the mercy of that guy. If I realized the same I'd have directly dealt with the partner for better rates and better condition of cars. I don't know if it one off case or who's telling a lie, but the partner said he's informed about the booking when the car was due. Me and my wife together made 18 calls to Myles and got zero help.

If you go ahead with your booking, I suggest you call Myles previous day, get the partner's number to whom they are forwarding your booking to, then work with the partner directly to ensure timely availability of a good quality car, including airport pickup (they'll charge additional money for that) if you need. Remember you can only choose a car if you visit their Margao office, otherwise they may send you a junk and you'll waste a few hours to exchange it later.
Old 25th November 2015, 13:04   #154
BHPian

I was looking to book an Amaze for a trip in December. The security deposit is given as 5k as opposed to the 50k many of you mentioned here.
The terms and conditions seem quite different as compared to Zoom.

Q1: They ask us to give the car with tank full, do we get the car with a full tank?
Q2: What is the actual security deposit? Attaching a screenshot where it says 5k.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-screenshot-1.png  

Old 25th November 2015, 13:22   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I was looking to book an Amaze for a trip in December. The security deposit is given as 5k as opposed to the 50k many of you mentioned here.
The terms and conditions seem quite different as compared to Zoom.

Q1: They ask us to give the car with tank full, do we get the car with a full tank?
Q2: What is the actual security deposit? Attaching a screenshot where it says 5k.
A1: Yes most of the times. If not then get them to mark the level of fuel in the guage accurately in the taking over document and return at the same level
A2: They have reduced the security deposit to 5K recently

If using for the first time then please use my referral code.

LRWXE

Thanks
Vishwas
Old 25th November 2015, 17:28   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
A1: Yes most of the times. If not then get them to mark the level of fuel in the guage accurately in the taking over document and return at the same level
A2: They have reduced the security deposit to 5K recently

If using for the first time then please use my referral code.

LRWXE

Thanks
Vishwas
Thanks for the info!

Haha, I already signed up with my phone number! Do you by chance have any coupons ? :P
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:10   #157
BHPian

In the first week of March, I am planning a trip with my wife to Vaishnodevi and some temples in Himachal Pradesh including Dharmashala.

One option is to do most of the travel by train and hire a taxi out of Pathankot, But I am wondering whether I should hire a self-drive car for one week either from Chandigarh or Amritsar because we have time and I enjoy driving.

Only Myles seems to operate out of these two cities and it looks like there are not many cars for rent - I may have to make the booking online well in advance. Myles has only a Etios-D in Amritsar, while Chandigarh has an option of a Swift D or an Etios-D. The Etios costs slightly more than the Swift to hire. I am going to drive sedately, doing about 100 to 150 km per day and there are only two of us, so I guess it does not matter which car I hire.

Question: Is it worthwhile driving a self-drive car to Katra or is it better to take a train from Delhi to Katra, complete Vaishnodevi, and then head to Amritsar or Chandigarh to take the car and then drive around in Himachal Pradesh?

Do Myles cars have a National Permit or will I have to bear permit costs to enter J&K and HP?

Any other factors I have to bear in mind in taking this decision (whether to take a taxi or hire a self-drive car)?
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:32   #158
Team-BHP Support

Vaishno Devi can be very tiring, especially if you plan to walk all the way (~14 km one way). Do consider the fatigue before you take the final decision.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:26   #159
BHPian

Some days back i got this in my email..
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-capture1.jpg

And today i have finally managed to do this.. I am taking it for a quick spin to Chandigarh this Friday.
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-capture.jpg

To be continued
Old 18th December 2015, 09:49   #160
BHPian

Does Myles allow pick up from one city and drop at another. Say pick up the car from delhi and drop it at Jaipur as they provide service at both location.

I would really appreciate if someone can confirm if this is possible.
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:57   #161
BHPian

Folks, does anyone know the Zoomcar policy in case if they are unable to handover the car to me by the booking time ? Let's say they handover the vehicle only 3 hours later, does it mean that I still have to return the car at the same time as in booking, and they would conveniently deduct 3x10kms from the free-drive allowance ? Or everything remains same i.e. free (included) kms of free-drive (mileage), the fee due, yet need to return as per original schedule ?
Old 22nd December 2015, 20:34   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend i had gone to Shimla to celebrate my 1st wedding anniversary.

As the shimla airport is not operational i rented a self drive car from MYLES at Chandigarh airport.

They only had was Toyota etios with them from airport which i did not want to rent as i wanted to do this road trip in an SUV ( though we were only 2 of us )

So i called in for a Scorpio from their sector 43 branch which they delivered at the airport;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796085.779992.jpg

The paperwork etc was done at the airport within 10 mins itself which is good & a deposit of Rs 5000/- was blocked on my card.

The car was overall in good condition but on my inspection i noticed it had a sensor error which was popping on the instrument cluster and worse the front tyre had a side wall crack;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796156.449854.jpg

I told them straight i cannot accept this car. the person agreed and chose to take me to their sector 43 parking in Chandigarh (which was 20 mins away) where they said they had a 4wd scorpio parked.
After reaching the spot i found that scorpio in the worst condition so i chose to keep the car which had the side wall crack and the sensor fault.

So i left chandigarh at around 1:30 and hit the Highway.

Strangely the car was all squeaky and rattly @ 30k on the odo.

The engine was good for the ghat conditions but the Gearshifts were bad, specially the car was difficult to put in neutral after going into REVERSE gear.

The Highway to Shimla is the beautiful & dangerous, Himalayan Expressway NH22;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796427.732794.jpg
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796450.294574.jpg
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796493.513617.jpg

Our Stay was @ Oberoi Wildflower Hall which was just before Kufri;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796632.909300.jpg

The hotel had the enormous Himalayan ranges in the backdrop;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796686.401742.jpg

Our stay was for 3 days & the car had been booked for 3 days, though while leaving Shimla we got massive jams & got delayed;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_9293.jpg

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796525.813581.jpg

I informed the MYLES staff that il be late and won't be able to return the car on the decided time for which they were pretty cool about and said they would charge a nominal charge of Rs 410 for the extra 3 hours

Like promised returning the car with a tankful;

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450796592.863451.jpg

Total cost for renting the Scorpio from MYLES was Rs 9350/-

Other expenses;

1) Punjab Tax paid aprox INR 300 (which MYLES Staff paid) - I was OK with it as they had an explanation that the new Chandigarh airport is in Punjab, but strangely they asked the same while i returned the car as well. [ This was definitely a GREY area ]
^ The receipt for above was forwarded to me via sms.

2) Parking charges at the airport was Rs 60 (which i paid twice)

3) CAR WASHING Charges (aprox INR 400) were asked from me which was definitely a moment for me & i definitely declined.

Note: Other than a couple of grey arrays i was pretty satisfied with the MYLES service and the attitude of their staff, so yes il definitely RENT AGAIN.

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd December 2015 at 21:02.
karan561 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 16:18   #163
BHPian

Dear All,

I am planning to avail Myles services during my trip to Delhi later this month. I have a question though- since these self drive cars are used and abused owing to the limited liability towards the user, i want to take the car to an authorized service centre before the commencement of journey to be sure if everything is working fine. Would it be possible to do the same. I cannot find the clause mentioning this in the conditions listed on their website.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:09   #164
BHPian

I would like to give my 2 cents regarding a recent trip that I made and my experience with Myles.
The Trip:
  • Bangalore to Kullu/Manali
  • Time of year - December 2015
  • Route taken - Bangalore - Chandigarh via flight
  • Chandigarh to Kullu by self drive rental (Myles)

My experience with Myles
First, I started off by researching on self drive options available out of Chandigarh. I was looking for Zoomcar but could not find any services available from Chandigarh. However, at a later stage during my trip I logged onto the ZoomCar website and saw that they had services from Chandigarh. Not sure if they started services after I booked my Myles car or if it was always there.
The Myles website showed me 3 options, Tata Nano, Toyota Etios and Scorpio. I called them up and asked if there is a Scorpio 4wd available and if it is the new Scorpio which was introduced by Mahindra in 2014. The Myles guy (Nitin) confirmed that it is a 2014 Scorpio. Happy with the feedback, I went ahead and booked it for a period of 5 days.
I was informed at the time of booking that they do not deliver vehicle to the airport and I would have to travel to another location about 20-30 minutes from the airport to pick it up. After a lot of negotiation, Nitin agreed to deliver the vehicle to the airport.

Then comes D day when I landed at the airport. I was in constant touch with Nitin from Myles. He asked me make my way to the airport parking, which I did with family in tow. On reaching the parking, he showed me the vehicle. To my utter disappointment, it was a very old Scorpio and was very basic. Nitin conveniently pulled out the RC book and said , "Look sir, this is registered in 2014...maine aapko vahi bataya." Nitin did not even know that there is a newer Scorpio out there until I asked him to google and check it out. I had a nasty altercation with him. It did not end with that, Nitin continued to argue that the vehicle is not very old and has only 27000 kms on it. I looked at the ODO and he was showing me the trip meter from a previous trip which had 27k on it. The actual ODO had 147000 kms on it. The wheels did not have even the basic wheel caps on.

After some discussion with the family, I decided to take the vehicle and move on. The vehicle was all creaky and probably had worn out tyres which would often make me feel like it is going to slip off the tarmac. The heater would not work, car charger was not working, extremely bumpy. The gear when put in neutral was slanted towards me and it took me a while to get used to the gear changes on this vehicle.

The positives
I drove this vehicle on very bad roads and even to places where no other vehicle could go due to the 4wd option. It certainly was a go anywhere type of vehicle and is best suited for roads up the mountains or rather no roads at all. I was able to drive up highly treacherous slopes filled with ice and snow.

It gave me pretty good mileage (did not calculate). I visited the gas station only once.

Negatives continued...
I drove it for almost 1000+ kms overall. I got stopped frequently by cops because it carried the yellow number plate. Once they saw that I am with family and self drive, they would usually let go. Finally it was time to return the vehicle. I returned it with a full tank at the airport to Nitin. I had to pay Punjab tax and parking which Nitin refused to give in to. Since I had driven the vehicle into the snow, it was covered with mud and slush. Nitin told me that INR 550 will be deducted for a deep wash and if I paid him directly it would be INR 350. I gave him the money and moved on.

Overall, I would have preferred a better maintained and newer vehicle and it would have been great if Myles had been transparent with me on what they are offering. Choice of cars is extremely limited in Chandigarh and the condition of the vehicle I was offered was very poor.

I do not think I will be renting from Myles again in the future....
shiva75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 05:42   #165
BHPian

I am planning to book self driven car for rent for my 11 days trip from chennai to Gujarat. I have booked self driven car from carzonrent in chennai for a trip to bangalore last month. Initially they gave me defective swift VDI with gear-shift issues but later they gave us a brand new swift VDI from another pickup point.

When I checked both on carzonrent and zoom car for the total trip cost is very high in zoom car compared to carzonrent.

Hence I would like to know from all the members here on which company to choose. I would like to book the hyundai creata considering the amount of luggage I am going to travel with which comes to around 36000 + 5000 (security deposit) with unlimited kms.

Whereas there is no hyundai creata with zoom car, hence I would have to go with either honda amaze or ford eco sport. The former costs me around 42000 + 5000 (security deposit) with 3660 kms and fuel amount re-paid but speed limit restrictions.

Ford ecosport comes to around 47000 + 5000 security deposit and 3660 kms.

Hence considering a journey of 3500+ kms from chennai to vadodara and vice versa, please let me know which company to choose.

Also let me know which car to book considering the long journey. There will not be any kids on board however my mom and dad are aged and I will be the single driver throughout the journey.

Will there be any issues with police stopping the vehicle while crossing the state borders since carzonrent are KA registered cars and zoom car are AP registered.

Waiting for valuable inputs from all members.

Most Viewed