Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 17:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore: Detours to avoid Traffic Lights

Living in Bangalore for over 20 years now, it pays to know a few detours that ensure you don't need to wait at a signal for over a minute when you're late for work(or college, in my case). All of us know a few of these gems that we covet and is our go-to-detour when time is of the essence.

The purpose of this thread is to share such detours anywhere in Bangalore. Helps us save time by not having to stop at signals as well as beating a traffic jam, which, though a part and parcel of Bangalore now, is something all of us would love to do without.

I share a few detours I know of:

1) Lifestyle Junction to Vellara Junction: The Cathedral School Signal

This road is chock-a-block with traffic every morning. Recently, I came across a small little detour, which though a few hundred meters longer, will help you save considerable amount of time and irritation.

Bangalore: Detours to avoid Traffic Lights-bypasscathedralsignal.jpg

2) From Madhav Rao Circle towards Jayanagar: Teachers College Signal

Get onto Kankanpalya Main Road, take the right before Trinity Heart Foundation. Then take the 5th left(Which I think is immediately after the Mosque on the right side and will be the only left turn without the Metro preventing you from crossing RV Road) and then go straight ahead and cross RV Road.

I hope this thread is useful.

My sense of direction is pretty bad, so I can never gather alternate routes well.

And those who know any such detours at all, please do let us know!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 14:28   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Detours to avoid Traffic Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
1) Lifestyle Junction to Vellara Junction: The Cathedral School Signal
Nice thread!
Wondering how this detour is useful - once you get onto Castle Street it will lead to a signal at Brigade Road. And if you turn left there, you will reach another signal at Vellara junction where you can go straight towards Adugodi or turn right onto Richmond Road again (back to the road where you started the detour, but you had 2 signals now before reaching here instead of just one near Wood Street/Cathedral school). Maybe I'm missing something here!
Old 31st May 2014, 14:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Nice thread!
Wondering how this detour is useful - once you get onto Castle Street it will lead to a signal at Brigade Road. And if you turn left there, you will reach another signal at Vellara junction where you can go straight towards Adugodi or turn right onto Richmond Road again (back to the road where you started the detour, but you had 2 signals now before reaching here instead of just one near Wood Street/Cathedral school). Maybe I'm missing something here!
This is to avoid the signal at Cathedral School. Once you enter Castle Street, you don't go all the way up to the Signal; you take the left that will take you across Wood Street and then into Richmond Road again.

You won't be using this everyday, but on the days that this road is almost come to a standstill, you'll save valuable time!
Old 5th August 2014, 10:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore :

from PEENYA TO BIAL AIRPORT :

From Jalahalli circle, pass Ayyappa temple , drive straight until Gangamma circle, then Take Left ,

then *** pass through Jalahalli Airforce base *** ,

including its theatre , then take the right fork just after the petrol pump, and breeze past to Mother Diary at Uttur (Yelahanka) to get towards BIAL airport

You could cover all this in half the time avoiding almost the entire ring road, all traffic snarls, railway crossings and most traffic signal junctions.

( bonus: Observe the pretty paintings of various war helicopters & aircraft on the walls , *** a real plane *** suspended mid-air on a frame at the air force base gate , and real aircraft engine and bombs displayed after another kilo metre inside the gates )

Last edited by vinay kamath : 5th August 2014 at 10:25.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:53   #5
BANNED

From Banaswadi to White field.

Take left at Kasturi nagar(Phase 2) Railway underpass and take right.

You will reach Railway under pass which is newly constructed.

This goes to HP Petrol Pump after Tin factory Bus stop.We can avoid all traffic jam at flyover and bus stop.
balechaparka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

While going from Railway station/Ananda Rao circle towards Airport/Hebbal/Gutahalli:

Immediately after getting down the Anandarao circle flyover through the 1st left down ramp towards race course road, do not proceed all the way to the circle near Solitaire hotel, instead, take the straight narrower road before it, besides a public toilet; the road which has a height barrier. This road is called 'Yadava college road'. At the dead end of this road, take left (no right turn there anyways), go under the railway bridge, and at the circle immediately ahead, take a 'U' turn and proceed straight for around 100 meters, past the BP petrol pump. Then, take the first left turn, this time just before the underpass to enter 'Railway parallel road'. Keep going straight, you will finally meet Bellary road a few meters before the BDA flyover. Take left to enter and proceed towards Airport/Hebbal.
Google maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/stIhI
Old 8th August 2014, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
While going from Railway station/Ananda Rao circle towards Airport/Hebbal/Gutahalli:

Immediately after getting down the Anandarao circle flyover through the 1st left down ramp towards race course road, do not proceed all the way to the circle near Solitaire hotel, instead, take the straight narrower road before it, besides a public toilet; the road which has a height barrier. This road is called 'Yadava college road'. At the dead end of this road, take left (no right turn there anyways), go under the railway bridge, and at the circle immediately ahead, take a 'U' turn and proceed straight for around 100 meters, past the BP petrol pump. Then, take the first left turn, this time just before the underpass to enter 'Railway parallel road'. Keep going straight, you will finally meet Bellary road a few meters before the BDA flyover. Take left to enter and proceed towards Airport/Hebbal.
Google maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/stIhI

Please don't encourage this route. This involves going in a 1-way stretch. I know lots of people do it, but endorsing a traffic violation on a reputable forum is not good.
My two bits.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Outer Ring Road -Marathahalli to Kundalahalli Signal (To by-pass the Marathahalli Bridge- Kundalahalli Signal Stretch). Below route in most cases guarantee you to reach the signal in ~15 min. The regular route this is very unpredictable. You still need to cross the signal. But will be able to cross in one go.

Bangalore: Detours to avoid Traffic Lights-route.jpg

Cons:
  • Railway Gate- If you travel at a regular time slot, in most cases it will be possible to predict if it will be closed.
  • Bumpy and Narrow Road-Suitable for Bikes. Car may not save time
Old 8th August 2014, 12:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Please don't encourage this route. This involves going in a 1-way stretch. I know lots of people do it, but endorsing a traffic violation on a reputable forum is not good.
My two bits.
Which is the one way stretch in this route? I don't think there is any.
Yadava college road is two way. So is railway parallel road. I have been using this road since many years and I am absolutely confident that there isn't a stretch which is one way.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 8th August 2014 at 12:26.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Which is the one way stretch in this route? I don't think there is any.
Yadava college road is two way. So is railway parallel road. I have been using this road since many years and I am absolutely confident that there isn't a stretch which is one way.
The one next to the petrol bunk.
My apologies: I figured out the 100 mts in front of the bunk. I was talking of the road to palace Guttahalli.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My two bits.
Yes This road is not a one way. I usually travel in this road to reach BDA office from Anand Rao Circle. Just next to Yadava College I have seen Traffic police waiting to catch the traffic violators but have never stopped any one who is following the traffic rules.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is a route that goes from Arekere, Hulimavu towards Electronics City (joins somewhere near Wipro office) that skips NICE road and all except one traffic junctions in Bannerghatta Road south of JP Nagar ring road and goes via Begur. The only disadvantage is the number of speed breakers. Tried this almost 5 years back when I was living in Bangalore.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:38   #13
BHPian

I used to take this route to avoid the rush after crossing Silkboard Signal towards BTM. Was staying near 20th Main, BTM 1st stage, hence this route worked for me. I could avoid all the rush till AXA signal.
Only flip side is, this could get deadlocked if any of the cabbies/autos try to play smart. But this used to work 8 out of 10 times when I was staying there.
Take a right after Silk board signal. Then get on the small bridge to the left (guess its called dollars colony). This will take you to behind AXA.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...12.9185973!3e0

Last edited by glenmz : 10th November 2014 at 13:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks