Old 13th March 2014, 16:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads

Theft or Destruction which I can think of -

1. Electric wires on the pole in the newly formed layout
2. Cement Tiles on the pavements
3. Sodium Lights are pelted with stone so that they can be replaced with New
4. Stones laid in the drainage are stolen over night

I bought a plot on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore in 2004. It had underground electric cables, telephone cable with junction box for each road, CPVC water pipes for each road, metal sapling boxes, metal street lights and box type drainage with manhole and metal covers.

I traveled onsite and came back after 2 years, everything was dug up and stolen including the telephone junction box as there was not a single house in the layout for 2 years.

Association had to spend few lakhs again to rework all these.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ohh yes, its a big big business, stealing Govt. Property and selling off in chor bazaar !!

I have seen these thefts rampant in every city, every street.
The most recent I came across, were manually operated switches, to control signal for pedestrian crossing.

There was one such manually operated signal for pedestrian crossing set up on Bannerghata Road, in front of Shoppers Stop (Bangalore BHPians would know the area). This place is a nightmare as its just after an underpass and vehicles approach this major commercial area at good speed. I drop my wife at this point for her to catch bus to work.

One fine day, I was surprised to see the signal set up. So we searched and found the a pole with a nice looking switch to operate the signal. We tried it out and got moderate response from motorists. Some old timers on this road may not have bothered to stop. But we liked that the signal was red and we could cross the road safely.

2nd day - Went fine.
3rd day - The switch box was broken open and the switch was gone. All that remained were torn wires.

Few days later, may be 2 weeks later, the switch was in place again. Good move by Govt.
And then 1 day later, it was again gone.

All that stands now at this spot are, 2 speed humps placed back to back within 10 metres. So vehicles are bound to slow down here. Best move by Govt. !!
It is true, these incidents are really sad. In fact these switches that you are talking about cost >10 lakh rupees, there was an article on the same in TOI Delhi. Strict regulation need to be put up against the offenders and the police needs to be more active and fast.
Old 14th March 2014, 00:08   #18
BHPian

Destruction and Theft - Both are right here. More than creating a hole in the government's coffers, these thefts are also a risk to drivers on the road who are used to signage, reflectors, proper medians etc.

However, I have heard that railway sleepers / fish-plates / bolts etc are not that easily traded and hence we see less of them being stolen. Or regular patrolling by the railway gang-men is preventing their theft - not sure.

However, its all about the way how we bring up our future generation.
Old 18th March 2014, 14:44   #19
BHPian

During my recent visit to Jaipur, I could see that the public property was protected to an extent. The road that I was on was the one which goes towards chowkidhani from within the main city.

At the very outset these railings were also not looking new. If this is so, that means that the Rajasthan Government knows the art of safeguarding public property.

I would request our fellow Bhpians from Rajasthan to throw some light on this observation.

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1064.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1065.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1066.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1068.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1069.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1070.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1071.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1074.jpg

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-img_1076.jpg
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 18:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gotta agree that this is an eye-opener. On casual observation, I have always concluded - at the back of my mind that these railings etc get damaged by vehicles and are then pulled off the road by the government who doesn't bother to put them back.

Never thought that it was unscrupulous elements stealing them. Well, no way to protect than police I guess. CCTVs everywhere and swift action.

But cops hardly even go to help someone in an accident - why would they bother with stealing of public property.

Sad but true.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:24   #21
BHPian

It does pave way for incorporating Tamper proof designs into the tender documents issued by Public agencies. Wondering if this is in anyway their priority. Or replace it every second year is easier.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, A small contribution from my side. The pics have been taken at Vijaynagar on NH24 today morning.

The missing cover from lamp-post

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-photo0649.jpg

Tampered Tree Gaurd

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-photo0653.jpg

Railing rods are missing

Theft of Public Property on Indian Roads-photo0652.jpg

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 25th March 2014 at 16:33.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed