Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Does Anticipating preempt sudden actions?
Yes 194 82.91%
No 2 0.85%
Not always 38 16.24%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 14:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anticipation - The hallmark of a Good Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
However there seems to be truly different class of drivers/pedestrians/ citizens however you name them. They always expect that the other person should be more cautious like the Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) rule and such people are ones we should deal with more than just a perfunctory caution.

To illustrate- A pedestrian has all the right on a pedestrian crossing but they should cross when there is reasonable distance from the nearest moving vehicle(but Alas! it shall never be) they guy will choose the most inopportune moment to cross when one can literally see the vapor from the bonnet.
Try telling him and you will get a earful and may land with a ruptured tympanum or malfunctioning eustachian canal.

Cheers
Majority of the accidents is due to lack of judgement especially in an intersection. In such situations preference must be given for the vehicles coming on the main road. Unfortunately this is not so. It is a question of who wins first.
I have seen situations wherein at an intersection, despite the vehicle driver coming on the main road flashing headlights, vehicles in the cross road make an attempt to cross the road. I would say lack of patience.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:56   #17
BHPian

Thanks for starting the thread!

One more rule I've been following on our roads while riding in the dark is to anticipate beyond your vision. Many a times, to our utter shock we encounter pedestrians bang in the middle of the road trying to cross the road. They'll be under the impression that since they can see the head lights of our vehicle, we can notice them too. Little do they know that the illuminated part of the road we actually see is very less.
vikred is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
Thanks for starting the thread!

One more rule I've been following on our roads while riding in the dark is to anticipate beyond your vision. Little do they know that the illuminated part of the road we actually see is very less.
+1 to that mate.

Very true especially if you drive in the slots between 4am to 6 am or 615pm to 7pm. The headlight does no good. Just have to focus and use your eyes as headlight.

Cheers
PS : by the way you can press the thanks button buddy. It is always welcome
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:13   #19
BANNED

Anticipation comes from experience what I believe. And a good driver need not have to be experienced.

I agree with all what is said above. But sometimes there are even craziest people on road with whom anticipation doesn't work.

Once I was driving on bannerghatta road, when I saw this gentleman on an activa on the extreme left side. He was constantly looking back and trying to move towards the right side of the road. My anticipation said he will turn right at the next divider opening. So I slowed down for him to cut me across. suddenly this gentleman took the next left by lane and gone.

Even there are instances with me where people put on the left indicator and takes the right turn. So there are cases where anticipation fails and only luck keeps you safe, is what I think.
PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:28   #20
BHPian

Anticipation or being situationally aware - IMO - are one and the same thing.

One can also call it defensive driving. While others may choose to term it being overcautious. One and the same. Again - In my opinion.

When I am in my Xylo, I have the view of traffic ahead from above a hatch/sedan in front of me. I can see slowing traffic or any breakdown on the road or lane hoggers and start moving to the appropriate lane in advance rather than suddenly reacting when I approach it.

If vehicle in front is having recent registration plates/L stickers, I will anticipate that the person driving might be prone to sudden actions, I will not linger behind.

I might try and overtake on right hand curves but not on left side curves since it becomes a blind spot in case there is oncoming traffic.

Have we not seen vehicles with indicators left on and forgotten about. At some intersections, I make it point to give hand signals - right hand turns only! - Wonder how many people know the correct hand signal to indicate left turn and wrongly assume it to be 'U' turn being taken .
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:34   #21
BHPian

Yes, Anticipation is definitely the signs of a good driver and it would help avoid lot of unnecessary incidents that can happen to you on road. I wonder how easy would it be if everybody does it and drive sensibly.

Many times I have come across auto walas who just make a U turn suddenly after dropping people at a place. Do they ever check the road before making such turns!? The local city buses do the same too, after they start from the bus stop, they just switch from left most lane to right most or vice versa. Hence I always let the big vehicles including the auto walas pass me if they are onto my left or right. Then comes the people who overtake from left especially during a left turn. Why would they not think that there could be a collision if I do a tight turn. It is always better to anticipate what others can do, can guess it looking at the way they are driving and expect what could be playing on their mind and then slow down, let them do it and then move on. If they do it, you will be happy that you judged them right and saved yourself. If they don't, there is nothing that you are losing. A thing not to do in anticipation is to hit the brakes hard, you never know the person behind would be anticipating that!
Old 13th March 2014, 15:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Driving is all about anticipation, concentration, spatial awareness and patience. Unfortunately, most drivers on our roads today lack either some or all of these qualities. Most drivers at some point or another drive in 'assumption' mode (they assume others will watch before turning, brake in time, overtake from the right side, will maintain proper distance, not jump signals, blah blah), and the results are all around us everyday.

If you aren't prepared for the worst in every small or big scenario (like GTO mentioned earlier), it's only a matter of when (not if) something will catch you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
...... Wonder how many people know the correct hand signal to indicate left turn and wrongly assume it to be 'U' turn being taken .
Haven't used it in years (nobody gets it), but remember being taught by my driving instructor.

Isn't a left turn indicated by stretching right arm out and rotating in a forward circle (same direction as wheels spinning)?

Mods: Can you please merge with my previous response above? I responded to the quoted post after submitting my initial response, and can't figure out how to merge them now. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2014 at 17:54. Reason: Posts merged.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 16:30   #23
BHPian

Very practical thread. Very few of the riders and drivers are taught or told to anticipate when they are being taught. This accounts for the multitude of morons amongst the road users.
Anticipation definitely does prevent accidents. I still remember every driver who worked for my dad having their driving style corrected when they joined . He stressed on anticpation. This is the basic key to defensive driving especially in today's chaotic traffic conditions.
Also, flashing the hazard lights to get the attention of an imbecile who is behind you and too busy talking on the mobile to notice that you have come to a complete stop is a good idea. I have used this to good effect when I drive.
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 16:58   #24
BANNED

Anticipation - The hallmark of a Good Driver

Anticipation is a big yes.
I learnt about keeping my foot on the brake pedal as soon as I see brake light in front of me ,even if it's 2-3 cards ahead.
That has saved me a lot of times.
The sudden braking experience is pretty much dissolved now ,save for stupid pedestrians crossing with their headphones on.

All this was learnt from defensive driving videos.

EDIT: As posted above ,I also switch on the hazard light ,if there is something that is dangerous ,like broken roads or sudden stops ,I believe it gets the attention of the driver.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 13th March 2014 at 17:00.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I want to add these points too.

1. When I learnt to drive, my dad gave me this piece of advice - "Always think and drive like you have ONLY morons driving around. And drive so that you make up for their mistakes too"!

2. Regarding someone who wants to cross the road, standing at a distance - If they are restless, have their torso bent to the front slightly & NOT sure footed, they are more likely to attempt crossing the road. On the other hand, people who decided NOT to cross, will have a very stable & calm body language with a straight torso.

3. When you want to attempt a maneuver, especially an overtaking; if you are in two minds, let the opportunity go. That's your mind confused on the success rate of the result and will most likely end up in an un-desired manner. Whenever I have attempted such a thing, I mostly had a close shave.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th March 2014 at 17:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 18:28   #26
BANNED

Good thread and a real need of the hour. Anticipate was the word that my dad would always use when I was learning to drive too. It is always possible to make out a driver who isn't driving in an anticipatory manner just by watching his brake lights.

On highways you would have the inexperienced guy trying to drive fast by going behind the vehicle in front, repeatedly swinging to the right to overtake and braking hard to avoid the car coming from the other side (looks like a sort of jive routine) while you are situated a safe distance behind and are able to see the cars coming in from the other side without swinging out and can put your foot on the gas when you see the clear road ahead reducing the jive dancer to a speck in the mirror before he realises the music has stopped and it's time to stop dancing.

In addition to anticipation which is probably the single most important requisite for a safe drive I have always given these guidelines to folks I know:

1. Know your limitations.

2. Know the limitations of your car.

3. Assume that everyone else on the road knows neither and drive
accordingly.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 18:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever since my move to whitefield, I have learned a lot about anticipation! The best place to practice the same are Kundanahalli signal, Marathahalli bridge and the entire stretch till HAL signal especially during weekday evenings.

Vehicles of all form and fit will try to squeeze through rat hole like gaps and your only weapon is patience and common sense. After a few months of this, I can assure you that you will see a very significant jump in your level of anticipation
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 19:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing works better than anticipatory skills that aides a driver to remain in the safe zone whenever on road. This is something which cannot be taught and will come only with experience. While most of them know the common anticipations on our Indian roads, I would also add that your anticipations are likely to change depending various factors:
  • Which part of the country you are driving- Highway or Town
  • What city are you driving in India
  • What time of the day you are driving – Day or Night, Dawn or Dusk
  • Type of road your are on - Expressway or an old school single carriageway road, or a 4 lane road with a median
  • The distinct character exhibited by the driver – It takes less than 30 seconds to pass a verdict about the driver ahead of behind you
  • Type of Vehicle – City Bus, Private car, Cabbie, LCV, construction trucks, 2 wheelers, Autorickshaws, Long haul trucks, Trailer trucks, Inter city Private and Govt buses etc.

Which part of the country you are driving- Highway or Town:
Highways are fast, Towns can be slower. Passing towns through the highways can me messier and more frustrating! Your anticipatory skills should switch in swiftly soon as you enter a Town or exit towards an open highway. While entering the Town, expect:
  • Speed-breakers
  • Unscientific medians
  • Broken roads all of a sudden
  • Cattle sun-bathing at the center of the road
  • Pedestrian or a group of pedestrians crossing the road
  • Sudden appearances of Cycle’s front wheel out of a median
  • Abrupt stopping of the vehicle ahead on pretext of asking for directions or shopping cucumbers from a road-side vendor
  • Signal lights at Intersections – A few follow while others may not – You always anticipate both type of drivers
  • Non functional signal lights but a cop standing in the corner and giving hand signals – Few confuse signals are not working and continue, few Brake at the last moment spotting a cop
  • 2 Wheelers appearing out of nowhere onto the main road
  • Cabs, Buses, Autorickshaws – Stopping abruptly to pick passengers or turn left or right without indication
A driver who’s just entered a town soon after driving a long distance on a highway must anticipate all of the above (and more)

What city are you driving in India:
Without getting into a debate by naming any particular city and hurting anyone’s sentiments, it is a known fact that each city has a distinct driving style.
  • City that follows lane discipline
  • City that has too many 2 wheelers due to lack of Public Transport
  • Your awareness about the traffic & driving pattern inside that city and your ability to adapt to this
  • The mindset of the populace, the way they react; Hence the way you should drive accordingly, history of road rage associated with a particular place, Mob Mentality, etc

What time of the day you are driving – Day or Night, Dawn or Dusk

There is no doubt that you must drive defensively and anticipate more during dusk due to darkness taking over natural sunlight and your eyes till getting adjusted to this change.

Cyclists with no reflectors, 2 wheelers with non functional tail lamps, pedestrians wearing dark clothes walking on the shoulder etc are hazardous at dusk than during the day

Driving on a highway at night:
  • You MUST anticipate the truck ahead change lane without a reason – Flash your lights always even though your lane is free to overtake that truck
  • You MUST anticipate a stationary truck on the fast lane on a curve next to the median – Stay on the left or center lane on curves , Gives good chances to react
  • You MUST anticipate a truck gradually slowing down on the left lane to make a long U-Turn without indication – Flash your lights
  • You MUST anticipate that the truck driver feels you are approaching him at a difference of mere 10kmph (more than 50 in reality) - Hence flash and Honk (A Honk signals him that it’s not a truck or a Bus but a car)
  • You MUST anticipate every other road user/cyclist/2 wheeler to assume you are doing 40kmph and they can easily cross the road – Flash, Honk and remain in safe lane pro-actively
  • You MUST anticipate a Tractor Trailor with only left hand side Headlight functioning and mind you that’s not a 2 wheeler
– Damn those 400 bucks for bulbs, flash your lights regularly at night-

Type of road you are on - Expressway or an old school single carriageway road, or a 4 lane road with a median
  • Expect Morons on expressways more than regular highways! For most of them, this is a speed testing arena
  • Watch the drivers’ move carefully, check how many times he is actually looking at his RVMs whenever changing lanes
  • There are morons who will overtake you like crazy on 4 lane road and then keep coming out and getting in behind a truck to overtake on a single carriage highway – Overtake such idiots with utmost caution
  • Keep tab on Brake lights of cars ahead of you – This is a good indicator on the driver’s behavior
  • Single carriageway roads are too close to Business Establishments and population – Drive carefully; anticipate merging traffic from bylanes, Honk pro-actively
  • On a 6 lane highway, many times you have no choice but overtake from leftmost or rightmost lane – Always keep all mirrors wide open and anticipate a faster car overtake the same truck from the other side and almost merge into the same lane as you!

The distinct character exhibited by the driver
  • Not wearing seat belts just because he’s out of city limits – He for sure cares a damn for others!
  • Both ORVMs Folded – Stay away or overtake after a lot of signaling, he can swerve left or right at the last moment to give way from either sides
  • Stuffed car full of passengers, driving very slowly on the fast lane – Let him be there, pass him from left and save your life
  • Driver always gesticulating and tilting head towards co-passengers more frequently – He can be dangerous, can swerve anywhere upon listening to a short honk without assessing from the mirror, pass with caution
  • The only car driven at 40kmph on a 80kmph Highway – Yes, he is on a long conversation on his mobile phone
  • Drivers always braking while overtaking – You still need highway driving lessons, Go Home!
  • Drivers speeding up when you want to overtake, Let them go, start driving slow for 5 minutes, Have fun!

Type of Vehicle:
  • City Bus- will surely stop in lane, abruptly
  • Private car- Refer the characteristics exhibited by driver in previous section
  • Cabbie- Can bully you on the highway and mostly at the Toll both
  • LCV- Unless not loaded to brim, they are driven recklessly and can jump onto your lane to finish their overtaking maneuver
  • Construction trucks- Always dangerous all over the country. Can join the main highway at faster speeds, can brake and make a U-Turn from a cut in the median with absolutely no indication, are relatively faster than most of the trucks too
  • 2 Wheelers- They can be sensitive to winds, always overtake them at a distance
  • Autorickshaws- They are like insects let loose from a container, can move in any direction wherever they are, can do a doughnut on the spot where its parked.
  • Long haul trucks- Perhaps the most well behaved lot on a regular highway – They have patience, you exhibit too
  • Trailer trucks-Better than the Long Haul trucks, mostly gentleman – They have more patience, you exhibit more
  • Inter city Private and Govt buses—It’s their regular route! “don’t mess with me attitude”

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th March 2014 at 19:41.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 20:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I want to add these points too.

1. When I learnt to drive, my dad gave me this piece of advice - "Always think and drive like you have ONLY morons driving around. And drive so that you make up for their mistakes too"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When I was teaching my brother how to drive (his first time on the Highway), my tip to him : Always remain prepared for the absolute worse, unexpected thing that the other vehicle can do?
Totally 100% Correct.

Well, To begin with, My Paa told me that a good driver is born when he/she follows the 3A theorem i.e Alertness, Anticipation and Action.

Alertness is required for a good driver to anticipate the danger and then accordingly act. I have been fortunate to have got these age-old guidelines from a person who is from the old school of thoughts.

He also told me, A good driver is not the one who knows the ways of increasing the speed rather a good driver is one who knows how to control the car at any speed.

I am also sharing a principle that I follow whenever I drive i.e I never drive off from front of a animal, child or an old person because one cant predict there reflexes so as a good driver one should always drive off from behind them which gives them time to prepare themselves.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 11:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Every time I stop at a signal, I am paranoid about a vehicle rear ending me. Can we all follow this practice of switching on hazard lights if we feel the vehicle in the back has not noticed that we have stopped. Maybe this can bring down such accidents. Experts please comment whether such use of hazard lights is not against driving rules/etiquette.
Well, by no means am I an expert, but you should follow your instincts as long as it doesn't inconvenience others. For example -

1) Stopping in the middle of the road and switching ON the hazard lights when the traffic is free flowing - Definitely causes inconvenience

2) Stopping due to a red signal and switching ON the hazard lights to garner attention from tailing drivers - Definitely does not cause inconvenience. It is your right to protect your vehicle and its occupants and hence, I don't see etiquette playing any role here.

Most probably, only an idiot and an irresponsible driver will rear end you at signals, unless the vehicle's brakes failed (Ambulance excluded).

If you feel the need to use hazard lights at red signals, please do so

Last edited by Safety is Param : 14th March 2014 at 11:09.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed