Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: Why you should be cautious at road junctions

One of the preventive measure at that junction would be to put speed breakers on all 8 roads of the intersection, preferably about 400 m from the main intersection.

I have seen these kind of speed breakers in Bangalore Mysore highway. They don't make the driving experience any good, but certainly play an important role in slowing down traffic before intersections.
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Part of the blame also lies with the design. Must say, it takes a real dimwit designer to plan an intersection bang in the middle of a curve.
Well, I would not blame 100% on the design and the engineer who approved it. Owing to perpendicular roads and other issues like land acquiring, influence from Political power etc, it would be difficult to get a straight road at a curve.

Some questions that are unanswered still - Are there any speed limit boards there, even something realistic like 60/50 kmph would make at least 20% motorists slow down. I notice that some of the innovas that crashed are too fast.

A highway patrol jeep parked some 200 mts beyond a speed limit sign could add the "fear factor" and make motorists slow down.

Simple solution - Add some rumblers say about 100 meters from the junction
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:37   #63
VKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Are there any speed limit boards there, even something realistic like 60/50 kmph would make at least 20% motorists slow down. I notice that some of the innovas that crashed are too fast.

A highway patrol jeep parked some 200 mts beyond a speed limit sign could add the "fear factor" and make motorists slow down.

Simple solution - Add some rumblers say about 100 meters from the junction
Horrific video , as if they are on a suicide mission. This videos seems to be from NHAI camera so they must be aware of this accident prone junction and must have rumblers,speed limit boards there.

If the people involved don't fear for their life, I have my doubts that they will see the sign boards and fear the patrol jeeps. There are lots to do to make our Highways safe - no doubts proper markings are one of them.
VKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

While I agree that it is poorly designed and located intersection bang in the middle of curve, blame cannot be taken away from those causing accidents. Intersection or no intersection, while rounding a bend, you need to slow down for (a) countering centrifugal force and (b) to look out for any stray incidents of people or cattle crossing leisurely. But none of that happened. In almost all cases, the vehicles came with full force and hit the one crossing or exiting highway. It is as though the driver was hoping the other vehicle to just vaporise or move out of his way in a flash. Total carelessness.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
While I agree that it is poorly designed and located intersection bang in the middle of curve, blame cannot be taken away from those causing accidents. Intersection or no intersection, while rounding a bend, you need to slow down for (a) countering centrifugal force and (b) to look out for any stray incidents of people or cattle crossing leisurely. But none of that happened. In almost all cases, the vehicles came with full force and hit the one crossing or exiting highway. It is as though the driver was hoping the other vehicle to just vaporise or move out of his way in a flash. Total carelessness.
In most cases, accidents happen while watching out for one thing and missing the other altogether. In some cases the two wheeler riders seem to have thought that they can just fly through before the larger vehicles get too close, or with a blind hope that the other party will anyway slowdown.
I had posted this link on the other thread but I thought it is relevant here as well.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Last edited by Guna : 23rd March 2014 at 16:01.
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:14   #66
BHPian

India has one of the world's worst road safety records.
Poor and badly designed roads , poorly maintained vehicles, almost illiterate drivers, drunk driving and then there is this road rage making indian roads hell. Icing on the cake is total lack of trauma evacuation and treatment facilities.
We have yet to go a long way.
At forums like this we can help spread the message using social media. We may also plan activities like road safety meets along with authorities to increase awareness in public at large.
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:50   #67
BHPian

The basic STOP. LOOK. GO. is not followed. So many accidents look like they happened because of it not being followed. I see buses, trucks, cars sometimes slowing down to take a turn or just rushing in. No one is stopping before taking the turn.

Old 24th March 2014, 01:04   #68
BHPian

No matter how many sign-boards are placed, or how many more warning lights are installed, only disciplined and responsible driving can eliminate such accidents.And that is what the Indian drivers lack the most.

One common thing I have noticed is that many bikers who are so used to driving mostly within the city, have this tendency to just go ahead at intersections & other crossings that have no signals, even when they see a bigger vehicle approaching from the other road, expecting that the approaching vehicle would apply brakes and slow down.

Normally within the city, this may work most of the time as most vehicles would be at lower speeds there.But the problem arises when these bikers follow the same practice even when they have to do an occasional highway intersection crossing.Most of the time, the approaching vehicles would be at triple digit speeds and they would be least expecting such a careless crossing attempt from a side-road.

First and foremost, it is this careless, irresponsible and impatient attitude that needs to change.But I think in a country like ours, it is very difficult to inculcate such manners where almost everyone follows the "me first" principle.
Old 24th March 2014, 01:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Strength in numbers???? Nope; not when a big chunk of the 1 billion plus population is retarted.

After every accident; i could not help but ask out loud....... WHYYYYY? Are we really so stupid as a nation? Shows a lot about how much we have progressed. Cave men might actually have more brains than a whole lot of road users in this great country. What a waste of lives.

Bad design or not; floyovers or not - we are accountable for our safety and the safety of our loved ones. Period!
Old 24th March 2014, 09:39   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnimidhun View Post
:

Is there something that we as team-bhpians can contribute to make the driving sense better in this country? The first thing that strikes me is that we can have sub-forum under "Team-BHP advice" as "Driving a vehicle" and collate all our expert's advice into a short parked article.

I can help collate (and hopefully contribute) to this.

Thanks,
Midhun
I had similar thoughts. Guess, we already have threads where such advice is being collated.

Another idea: If team bhp experts can create a one-day workshop for drivers. This can be conducted for newbie drivers or transport services companies etc. like the way there are corporate training programs on soft skills etc. I am sure a lot of people would be interested to attend such a workshop/ program.

Also, some truck/ bus drivers drive idiotically because some of them were never educated properly on traffic issues. The license tests in this country are pretty useless in that sense. If we can run such programs/ workshops for truck/ bus drivers (on a NGO model), I am sure some of us wouldn't mind contributing to such an effort. Even if one there is one less rash truck driver on the streets, we would've helped ourselves and the society in general!
Old 24th March 2014, 11:05   #71
BHPian

Check this ad made by NewZealand Transport Agency.

_raviShankar_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:58   #72
BHPian

Holy Smoke! is what I can think of after I saw this video. I think this video should be circulated on giant screens all through the country so that people are aware of the ways they are prone to death if they don't watch out. Watching this video produced a lull in my lower stomach and is sure to cause the same to those who watch in public!
Old 24th March 2014, 14:17   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

From the video, the ONLY thing I could make out is, the vehicles which took the turning never bother about the "RIGHT OF WAY" for the vechcles in the straight road. Nobody wanted to slow down and wait for a minute before the faster vehicle crossed them.

I see many people blaming the roads and all; but to me, this is NOTHING more than morons and idiots who don't care for their life and others.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 14:43   #74
BHPian

Really Scary.. While we Blame over use of Speed Breakers in Bangalore, I am sure and convinced that this junction in the video needs one in all directions.
Also, I am really surprised why it is not implemented still and why are the authorities waiting for more accidents to happen?
Of course people also are driving like real nuts there, and does not even pass basic common sense test
Old 24th March 2014, 18:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
One of the junctions is on NH7, a deviation to Shadnagar. I frequent this road every time I travel to Bangalore. It is right in the middle of a curve and it becomes too difficult to judge whether a vehicle is going to turn there or keep going straight, especially in the night, and I exercise extreme caution on this road.
This is account from the person who has been there. I put the accidents to bad road design. I have seen plenty of intersections on curve on national & state highways. Most of these places have good visibility, since either
1) the intersection is at a lower level and hence vehicles can see the traffic clearly from a distance, or
2) there is a flyover, which will take the highway traffic over the junction.

Even the bus & truck drivers, from the vantage point of being seated high, couldn't see the traffic from other side. (though I blame the RTC bus for taking right turn from middle lane instead of right turn). I feel the people are paying their lives for bad design.

Traffic light won't help since it is on a curve and by the time time vehicles notice the lights, it will be too late. Speed breakers though might help in reducing the speed, will not eliminate the visibility problem. The high speed crashes might become low speed crashes.

Whatever crash that didn't happen at that intersection is due to people managing to overcome the handicap of poor design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks