Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 17:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner: Insane parking!

Here's a better resolution pic. Don't think it has been photoshopped.

Fortuner: Insane parking!-10311966_1521911931355116_8664166074477519949_n.jpg
Warwithwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

May be the house was constructed around a parked Fortuner!

On a serious note, there are surely some skid marks near the front tyre.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I could not see any visible tyre marks on the concrete (OP). Can you?
Look at the better resolution picture posted by warwithwheels on the third page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
On a serious note, there are surely some skid marks near the front tyre.
This surely has been done with a lot of turns. Hence the skid marks.
If it was done by skidding then the skid marks would be on the rear tyre. Also there is a small slope so skidding is completely out of the question. The only way to do this is n no. of turns and going forward and reverse.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Look at the better resolution picture posted by warwithwheels on the third page.

If it was done by skidding then the skid marks would be on the rear tyre. Also there is a small slope so skidding is completely out of the question. The only way to do this is n no. of turns and going forward and reverse.
Whatever, but I would call them very expensive gates for the house!
Old 28th April 2014, 18:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

If the fortuner had to come out by turning around, shouldnt the length between the walls at least be equal to the diagonal length of the TFort? Else its impossible to drive it in and out of the space since the space is barely as long as the car itself. Once the driver starts turning the car diagonally, at one point it cant be turned further. Guess they used a crane or forklift to move it there. Especially the roof is open. So a person who owns construction equipment etc could have spent a weekend playing with his toys I ve always wished I owned a bulldozer or a similar machine for such random fun.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 18:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If the fortuner had to come out by turning around, shouldnt the length between the walls at least be equal to the diagonal length of the TFort? Else its impossible to drive it in and out of the space since the space is barely as long as the car itself. Once the driver starts turning the car diagonally, at one point it cant be turned further. Guess they used a crane or forklift to move it there. Especially the roof is open. So a person who owns construction equipment etc could have spent a weekend playing with his toys I ve always wished I owned a bulldozer or a similar machine for such random fun.
Yup totally agree .
There is no way this vehicle can be driven out. Diagonally it will get stuck. So impossible!!
Old 28th April 2014, 18:34   #37
BHPian

A wild thought! What if I use couple of hydraulic jacks to move the car into that position? Possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Fortuner: Insane parking!-hydraulic-jack.jpg  

Old 28th April 2014, 18:39   #38
BHPian

It's not at all difficult to do this, it just requires a lot of patience. Like someone here (was it Thad E Ginathom?) said, it just requires a lot of time and a lot of three-point turns. At the end you would just end up with arms that are a bit tired.

I used to do this a lot when I lived in The Netherlands, while parallel parking. I would parallel-park between two cars where the gap was maybe three or four inches longer than the length of my car. Would take me around 15 minutes to park, but was better than driving around for 45 minutes trying to find another parking space that is probably a lot further to walk to.
Old 28th April 2014, 18:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Patience, time and a lot of 3-point turns. Good workout for the arms too
A masterclass in parallel-parking, if true. Bangaloreans can use some of his expertise given our non-existent parking spaces and, ahem, less-than-perfect parking sense
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 18:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

I used to do this a lot when I lived in The Netherlands, while parallel parking. I would parallel-park between two cars where the gap was maybe three or four inches longer than the length of my car
Fortuners dimensions - 4695X1840mm. When drawn to 0.001 scale, here is what is obtained:

Fortuner: Insane parking!-capture.jpg

So, even if the fortuner is rotated on its center axis, it needs the mentioned amount of width to prevent itself from getting stuck diagonally. Now that is being rotated, forget moved forward and backward. If at all there is space, there is around 5cm on either sides. So driving into this space is impossible, that too with a mammoth like a fortuner with a near 6M turning radius.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 19:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

If the authenticity of this maneuver is proved, am sure he can be nominated to the Guinness Book of world records. Here's a world record which claims that a mini was parked into a spot that was 15 cms longer than the length of the car.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th April 2014 at 19:41.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 19:56   #42
BHPian

So most of the theories point to the SUV being slid with the use of something like a roller jack.
But, is it possible to slide it over that hump that too to a higher level? Sliding along a plane surface is acceptable. But taking the car to a higher surface is something which I can't digest.

In parallel parking, one has the space to align side-by-side with the front car and then reverse, but here there's no such space to go ahead. So, how is it possible?

-Bhargav
Old 28th April 2014, 21:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There is one Youtube video shows a guy park his car between walls like this and taking it out. I am not able to locate the same now!

Here is another video
Damn, that's good. I can't park in a normal space anything like that well!
Old 28th April 2014, 22:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Ah yes! Now I see it

Quote:
Yes this is possible. But also, it completely wreaks havoc on the steering mounts and bushes. Not that this particular driver seemed to have cared a whit about empathizing with the car and feeling for it.

Taking the car out, the same way would have been extremely tedious, and despite the power steering, would have extracted considerable muscle wear and tear.

Imagine trying to maneuver your way out of a sticky spot , a few dozen times, by turning the steering wheel from end to end. Not my idea of a sunday afternoon chore !

P.S. : I had once to turn around my Innova on a 6 ft wide one-way lane which I had entered by mistake. First had to backup to a spot that allowed me to position the car perpendicular to the lane (IIRC Innova's length is well over 6 ft). and then the gruelling part of making it point the other way. All the while traffic had piled up behind me, and I was the object of some choice epithets! I can tell you , I was ready to trade places with anyone at that moment!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 23:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Is there a winch installed? He could have reversed into the space and pulled the front using the winch using the window bars as a fulcrum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks