Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 12:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Police come asking about my silver Ertiga

Usually Police do a door to door search for such things( I know as same had happened with a White swift here in Goa last year and I have one). It is usually when it a hit and run case involving police official (not for robbery only) or breaking thru a barracked.
If police need info like this they do have to send you a notice to get the vehicle to the station for inspection.
Please do not send any doc copies or photo of your car till you get a official notice.

Last edited by dinar : 11th June 2014 at 12:22.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

This may not be entirely be a prank :

The two men were pushed into a Maruti Ertiga, which then sped away. “Initially, the passengers didn’t say anything as they thought the police had picked up the men. However, as they were driving away, a passenger noticed that the number plate of the Ertiga was covered with cow dung,” the policeman said. Suspicions aroused, the passenger brought it to the attention of the bus driver, who then called the police control room. An inspector reached the spot and heard the passengers’ accounts. He also took the bus, with the passengers, to the Ramanagaram police station, where the driver filed a complaint.

Source : http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2190086.ece

And how did the cops get your number ? I thought that RTO documents require address proof only while registering the vehicle.

I would say just send them whatever documents they've asked for by courier/post and keep a copy of the acknowledgement. It's better than having to visit the Ramanagar PS personally.

You can get into legal aspects and fight it out citing warrant and all that - but what do you gain ? They're just trying to solve a crime - maybe not the right way but the cops have their own problems in this country.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 11th June 2014 at 12:45.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Errr...is there no concept of civil liberties in this country at all? If the police have probable cause to believe that your vehicle is involved in a crime, it is incumbent on them to procure a warrant to search it (source: years of watching all kinds of American crime dramas ).

I could have understood if the number had been partially obscured and they had a fixed number of vehicles to choose from. e.g. if eyewitnesses reported a silver Ertiga with number KA01-CD-25** where the last 2 digits are obscured. In such a case they could reach out to the RTO and get a shortlist of the (maximum 99, probably less) vehicles registered that fit. Even after that it is cops' job to fine-tune the shortlist based on known criminal activitiies of people on the list and other criteria.

But...sigh!...this is India, no? Best bet is to do as they say or they may come and harass you some more since you are raising suspicion on yourself. High time this country put some basic civil liberties in place, starting with Miranda Rights. Though, on a lighter vein, it is hard to imagine our cops saying "You have a right to remain silent" to anyone. I'd settle for "You have a right to not have a confession beaten out of you"

If you have the resources, have a lawyer contact the station inspector and get full details of whether this is legit in the first place and what they hope to achieve by getting this plethora of documentation from largely innocent people. Seems like extremely lazy policing if you ask me.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guess they may have some identification items for the car.

Sorry, but whats that "negotiation" ?
Ha ha, It went like this:
Me: Hello, this is regarding your call to my dad about the silver color Ertiga
He: Yes, when are you coming with the details
Me: Do I have to come? Can't I send it via registered post? It's 60kms from where I stay.
He: Actually, you are supposed to bring the vehicle and come, can you send the pictures through someone? (He forgets we are all not working for govt offices, where we can send a constable/peon to do the chilar jobs)
Me: (I didn't want to unnecessarily rub him the wrong way by asking about warrants, etc) It's the same as sending it through a courier. I can ensure you get these pictures tomorrow.
He: There's also a declaration you need to make about the vehicle whereabouts on the said date.
Me: Any other information?
He: Yes, when was the car bought, who all have access to it.
Me: I can ensure I sign such a declaration and send it along with the pictures.
He: (After a long pause) Agreed.

And 160 bucks later, the documents were on their way.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is really a sort of online crime solving for the police. Idea telecom should use this case in their ads, how the police can solve major cases just by phone. What an Idea Sirjee! Or maybe even Amul Macho, where Saif Ali calls up all the persons matching description of a case and finds the culprit - Bade aaramse.

Hope this is the end of the matter for you, OP.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 13:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
He: There's also a declaration you need to make about the vehicle whereabouts on the said date.
Yes, because a guy who used the vehicle to commit a grave crime would truthfully provide the info to the cops who would then swoop in and arrest him [/sarc]

Quote:
What business is it of anybody who has access to my car? This is really setting a bad precedent. I sincerely hope the same notice goes to a well-connected/influential guy who makes a big hubbub about it and scares them away from such tactics going forward. Because frankly that's the only way I see this nonsense being nipped in the bud!
Old 11th June 2014, 13:59   #22
BHPian

Would recommend to be careful here.Very bad experience from the police some time back. Do not give any documents to police without the presence of a lawyer. In my case a friends car was charged in a hit and run case without any validation (the vehicle didn't move that day). An old lady expired on the road hit by a car .In the FIR it was written as swift and after they saw the vehicle in person,they changed it to Innova . Somehow they got the number right !. The driver gave his license copy to the police station and in the end he had to cough up Rs 3 Lac as settlement.
commonman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 14:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called this guy... and after some negotiations, he agreed to me couriering him the pictures, along with a declaration stating where the car was on the said date, who owns it, who drives it, purchase date,etc.
The address is to the Ramanagar Town Police Station. There were specific angles he's requested in the pictures, including those taken from inside the car.
I hope that is the end of that.
Maybe I should stop watching all those crime stories!

Quote:
Ha ha, It went like this:
Me: Hello, this is regarding your call to my dad about the silver color Ertiga
He: Yes, when are you coming with the details
Me: Do I have to come? Can't I send it via registered post? It's 60kms from where I stay.
He: Actually, you are supposed to bring the vehicle and come, can you send the pictures through someone? (He forgets we are all not working for govt offices, where we can send a constable/peon to do the chilar jobs)
Me: (I didn't want to unnecessarily rub him the wrong way by asking about warrants, etc) It's the same as sending it through a courier. I can ensure you get these pictures tomorrow.
Me: I can ensure I sign such a declaration and send it along with the pictures.

If you do send a copy of the documents verify that you address the envelope to the SI of the station and send it Via "registered speed post only"

keep records of everything also make sure you get a delivery receipt from the local post office

EDIT - how did you send it?

Last edited by Captain Slow : 11th June 2014 at 14:08.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:

I would have simply told him, my residence comes under so and so police station. Please give me FIR against which you need a verification, I shall produce it police station near my house. He should contact this police station for all the info, and done with it.

Even if police has a warrant they must come to your house and get the info. They can't ask march of individuals unless they have solid evidence.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 11th June 2014 at 14:24.
RaguHolla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
If you do send a copy of the documents verify that you address the envelope to the SI of the station and send it Via "registered speed post only"

keep records of everything also make sure you get a delivery receipt from the local post office...
That should be the one with "registered post with acknowledgement due" to get a receipt in return.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 17:15   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That should be the one with "registered post with acknowledgement due" to get a receipt in return.
+1, this should be the ideal way to send such documents.

@triedeverything:

Any update on the issue?

Anurag.
Old 15th June 2014, 10:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
There were specific angles he's requested in the pictures, including those taken from inside the car.
It is not as if a vehicle is having birthmarks

If they have any identifying characteristics within the cabin, then they must be expecting some really lazy robbers.
Another odd thing is, why do they want the papers in the first place? Can't they get it online from the respective departments??

No wonder it takes years for them to conclude on any investigation. Also, all the more reason to be extra cautious buying a used car.
Old 15th June 2014, 20:09   #28
BHPian

No further updates folks. It was sent via a courier. Didn't hear back from them.

I was talking to a senior officer in the police and mentioned this incident. He said that this is a common practice by investigating officers. Some of them do this to ensure they have a good amount of 'work' to 'show' as effort to their bosses.

Good luck to whoever is expecting a 'refund'.
Old 15th June 2014, 23:16   #29
BANNED

Quote:
No further updates folks. It was sent via a courier. Didn't hear back from them.

Good luck to whoever is expecting a 'refund'.
Yes, I guess this issue and noises made were to only collect documents of the suspecting vehicle. Your Ertiga didn't turn out to be the red marked car so you didn't get any feedback later on it.

Relax buddy.

Anurag.
Old 16th June 2014, 00:42   #30
BHPian

All the different state police departments have different ways to investigate different crimes. A lot depends on funds and freedom wielded by the junior officers.
We need to appreciate that they may be looking for a needle in a haystack and they certainly don't have a magnet in their hands!!
At the risk of empathising with the police, I still feel that one can't really run down their 'archaic' methods since their training, education and pay is not the same as their western counterparts.
Anyways, lets hope they catch the bad guys soon..

Most Viewed