Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 44 Toll Plazas in Maharashtra to be shut down

Whatever philosophy has been put forth by some members behind the PPP model and the need to pay tolls, one must equate this with the condition of the road.

The recently closed down Mumbra toll is a classic example. The entry and exit portion of this road on the Kalwa to Mumbra stretch and the exit portion towards the Kalwa stretch have been in permanent bad shape. Monsoons make it worse but no repairs are carried out to fix the road. So while you pay toll for the whole year, you never get to use good roads for the entire year.

Same story for the Kalyan Dombivli Shil road. Here just before and after the toll plaza there are three intersections, within a span of 500 metres. These invariably create traffic jams, compounded by the queue at the toll plaza. Before the toll, I could drive from my home to Shil phata in 15 mins, 20 max. Now if I can scale the same distance in double the time, I consider myself lucky.

So in effect these tolls do not offer any value, but actually bleed you more in terms of time and fuel wasted.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:00   #47
BHPian

The entry and exit portion of the road at Gove Toll Booth on the Kalyan Bhiwandi route is pathetic to say the least. I've had quite a few arguments with the fellows manning the booth regarding the condition of the road despite collecting toll. They are shameless to say " Rasta main kya kharabi hai, accha to hai". Sad part is when I stay put at the toll plaza adamant on not paying the toll, people behind start honking telling me to move on.

The bridge at durgadi on the same stretch is atrocious. It is a two lane bridge on one of busiest stretch connecting NH 222 to NH3 / kalyan to bhiwandi/thane/Mumbai. There is a perennial jam on both side of the bridge. How could the planners commit such a blunder.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Toll Free roads likely in Maharashtra for cars and SUVs

Finally some new which will bring a smile on every one's face.

Yes you read the heading right. It is very likely that the cars and SUVs will be exempt from paying tolls in Maharashtra. This initiative is in lines with the present government's poll promise of making Maharashtra a toll free state. The con side of it is heavy duty vehicles will not be exempt from paying toll making the daily essential commodities more dearer as an additional levy is being planned in the offing to offset the reduced income from cars and SUVs.

There are 91 toll collections across the state with 23 handles by PWD and majority rest by MSRDC which includes the Bandra Worli Sea link, Pune Expressway etc. MSRDC has strongly objected to this move. Its a wait n watch as of now.

The best part would be if the above gets implemented the entry points for Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane would be toll free and this will be a big relief to the these cities.

More details in the link:
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...n-maharashtra/

Mods; Searched the forum for related, but couldnt not find. Kindly merge if such a thread exists
Old 18th March 2015, 16:16   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toll Free roads likely in Maharashtra for cars and SUVs

If this happens in reality, I pity all the political party sticker and flag manufacturers now.

In fact the sale of white Shirts,Kum-kum & Aviator Sun glasses also will significantly drop all over the state.

I also forgot to add that Neolite that manufactures beacon lights must now seriously think of getting into toy business!

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th March 2015 at 16:17.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 16:52   #50
BHPian

I don't think they are easily going to let go with this cash cow (scam cow) called tolls. Even if this happens there will 100 morons like MSRDC, contractors etc who will start shouting against this. They will then file a case against this which will be pending for ages.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 16:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Just got a Whatsapp message though could not confirm it yet:

"Effective from 1st April, 2015, Only Commercial vehicles will have to pay tolls.
Family Cars are termed as toll free."
This is applicable only in Maharashtra

Any validations/confirmations on this???

Also announced:
"Maharashtra Govt slashes electricity rates.Less by 12% for Feb'15 &19% for March'15.These rates are applicable till MERC approves new rates."

Refer to the below tweet:
https://twitter.com/dev_fadnavis/sta...94868757782528
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 17:15   #52
BHPian

I sincerely feel it's a great initiative from Maharashtra. I would be happy if other states follow. I salute every single person behind the idea of toll free India.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative if its true. For far too long, the people of Maharashtra and especially Bombay have been systematically looted by a corrupt administration. IRB has been the principal beneficiary of such largesse having bagged the collection of entry/exit charges at all entry/exit points to Bombay without a tender.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Just got a Whatsapp message though could not confirm it yet:

"Effective from 1st April, 2015, Only Commercial vehicles will have to pay tolls.
Family Cars are termed as toll free."
This is applicable only in Maharashtra

Any validations/confirmations on this???
[/url]
Has been doing the rounds in the news for some time. See below article a few days back...
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...endra-fadnavis

Will be announced soon, if not already done, I expect. Though I do not think they will be able to remove toll at highways operated by NHAI, which form the bulk of the toll collection outside the Mumbai metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloprasad View Post
I sincerely feel it's a great initiative from Maharashtra. I would be happy if other states follow. I salute every single person behind the idea of toll free India.
Personally, I have mixed views on this. While it is good to rationalise the toll system, removing toll tax completely will effectively put an end to the possibility of any investment by private sector or bank lending for road construction. This will mean that all the road construction works will have to be funded directly from government funds, which frankly means that road building activity will fall off by a minimum of 60-80%. The government just does not have the ability to spend this kind of money from its own resources. The significant development of national highways in the last 15 years or so has primarily resulted from significant investment through private sources and banks. Trust me, driving on highways today (across most parts of the country) is a breeze compared to the situation before 2000.

I would personally favour a more rationalised system where:
- no toll booths within metro or major city limits
- no toll booths on state roads (NHAI should pay out a share of the highway toll collected within a state to the respective government)
- collection on highways at entry and exit points (where you are charged based on the distance covered) rather than at various intermittent points
- RFID/ prepaid card system for automated toll collection
- no VIP treatment (even the chief minister's car should be liable)

As a consumer, I would not mind paying for the toll as long as it improves the overall efficiency of the travel and the money collected is used for the purpose of road development and not diverted elsewhere.

Last edited by reverse_gear : 18th March 2015 at 17:37.
reverse_gear is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 17:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Mods; Searched the forum for related, but couldnt not find. Kindly merge if such a thread exists
There is an existing thread on this topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...shut-down.html

I think the 2 threads can be merged.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is beyond stupid - why should the commodities for the retirees or village people become expensive because highway junkies like me are no longer paying toll for the roads I'm driving on?!

The solution to jams is electronic toll collection, something NHAI has "mooted" since 2010 including a report by Mr Nilekani, as is done the world over.

This is turning the clock back on infrastructure development. Worse it incentivises the government to construct all sorts of unviable infrastructure because economics is no longer in the picture. Sad.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 18:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is beyond stupid - why should the commodities for the retirees or village people become expensive because highway junkies like me are no longer paying toll for the roads I'm driving on?!

The solution to jams is electronic toll collection, something NHAI has "mooted" since 2010 including a report by Mr Nilekani, as is done the world over.

This is turning the clock back on infrastructure development. Worse it incentivises the government to construct all sorts of unviable infrastructure because economics is no longer in the picture. Sad.
+1. My fear is that if this continues, the government will actually stop spending money on road development and we will be back to the situation 20 years back.
reverse_gear is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 18:10   #58
BHPian

Welcome move if true! The cascading effects on inflation are still to be seen/calculated and not to mention we may see agitation from transporters.

I am also a little sceptical whether this will be implemented any time soon given that different government agencies are involved. There is no single state / national agency involved. There is MSRDC, NHAI, MEP, IRB, etc. Some private players as well who have won contracts.

I would really like it if they just stop the toll levied at Mumbai entry points. The amount is INR 35 one way but it hurts way more than anything else!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 18:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
As a consumer, I would not mind paying for the toll as long as it improves the overall efficiency of the travel and the money collected is used for the purpose of road development and not diverted elsewhere.
Hello BHPian

Toll free India is a good initiative. Toll free doesn't necessarily mean government fund for the roads. I think most of the toll roads atleast 5 year old should have taken back the investment from the project. Maintenance of the roads can be done with the road tax paid. Also most of the toll booth operate even after the agreement lease has expired. If such above things are regularized the general public will be benefited without increasing the burden of the government. Whereas nowadays only the person who takes the toll booth contract is getting benefited. Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 18:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloprasad View Post
Hello BHPian

Toll free India is a good initiative. Toll free doesn't necessarily mean government fund for the roads. I think most of the toll roads atleast 5 year old should have taken back the investment from the project. Maintenance of the roads can be done with the road tax paid. Also most of the toll booth operate even after the agreement lease has expired. If such above things are regularized the general public will be benefited without increasing the burden of the government. Whereas nowadays only the person who takes the toll booth contract is getting benefited. Thanks
This is not true.
1. National highway roads typically recover the cost of the financing in 20 years, quite often the shortfall in toll collection actually extends this period beyond 20 years. The loans themselves have a tenure of 15 years. State highways rarely recover the construction cost as the traffic is dismal (incidentally that is also currently the case for the Sealink in Mumbai).
2. I am not sure what you mean by agreement lease of toll road. The national highway contracts are standard contracts which have a defined time period. All toll agreements (except some of the old generation ones) have SPECIFIC PROVISION THAT THE TOLL CAN BE TERMINATED IF THE PROJECT COST HAS BEEN RECOVERED THROUGH TOLL. This has rarely happened since we do not have 20 year NHAI toll history on most roads, but you may remember that this provision was invoked to disband the Gurgaon toll plaza some time back.
3. I agree with the point about toll booth contracts being awarded non-transparently and resulting in revenue leakage. But this is actually a very small proportion of the toll collected on roads in the country. Mumbai residents will probably feel it more because of the entry point tolls all around, but this is hardly the case anywhere else. The tolls on NH roads are collected by the operators who have built the roads using private funds and not by any collection agency.
reverse_gear is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed