Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 19:30   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 44 Toll Plazas in Maharashtra to be shut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
India and US have road networks of similar size. But US has way more money to spend on roads.

India : 4.8 million KMs (Second highest in the world)
US : 6.5 million KMs (Highest in the world)

While in terms of Money, US economy is 8 times that of India (GDP : ~16 trillion vs ~2 trillion).

So, obviously India has lesser amount of money that is available to spend on roads per km.
More importantly in the US, almost all the funds are spent in building upkeep and improvement of the said roads, in India at most 10 percent of allocated funds are actually used to construct roads. Rest goes in bribing all kinds of officials the Mafia and buying land from farmers.
Old 24th March 2015, 21:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
More importantly in the US, almost all the funds are spent in building upkeep and improvement of the said roads, in India at most 10 percent of allocated funds are actually used to construct roads. Rest goes in bribing all kinds of officials the Mafia and buying land from farmers.
You forgot political parties. They take up most of the share in India. Do a simple google search and you'll see the linkages between the Ideal Road builders, HCC and our political leaders. IRB and HCC are 2 of the major beneficiaries in tolls in Maharashtra.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed!! With the toll plazas for Private Vehicles being abolished in Maharastra on 1st April(foolish me!!), pretty disappointed to see that no such thing was implemented.
Was sort of believing it to happen this time!!
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:47   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
I stay at miraroad as soon as I hit the nh8 toward mumbai there's dahisar check nakka we pay Rs. 35 and then take right towards link road. So for some 600 meters of travel on the western express way we have to pay 70 rs on a two way journey which is really irritating.

I agree ST!

I too stay in Mira Road and 2 mins away from the Dahisar Checknaka (Srishti, Sector 3).

Its such an eye sore - when you pay such heavy toll and you drive on roads which are concrete, tar and paver blocks. Secondly the promises that each government makes on removal of toll plazas to garner votes and when voted to power go into hibernation, only to wake up again in 5 years.

But I have given up on any change being brought in for the welfare of the common man.
saildrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:10   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I agree ST!
I too stay in Mira Road and 2 mins away from the Dahisar Checknaka (Srishti, Sector 3).

Its such an eye sore - when you pay such heavy toll and you drive on roads which are concrete, tar and paver blocks. Secondly the promises that each government makes on removal of toll plazas to garner votes and when voted to power go into hibernation, only to wake up again in 5 years.

But I have given up on any change being brought in for the welfare of the common man.
I had previously heard that they were to provide toll exemption to people living within 5kms of the toll, so technically Miraroad residents should be exempted. I tried asking them but they neither agreed nor exempted me from the toll.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra to shut down 12 tolls
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46874919.cms
Old 10th April 2015, 14:39   #82
BHPian

So, this is what has been decided for now...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...-state-2076342

Quote:
Taking a step towards fulfilling his party's promise to make Maharashtra toll-free, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Friday announced the closure of 12 toll plazas in the state while exempting private light motor vehicles and buses of the state transport corporation at 53 toll plazas from May 31 midnight.

Making a statement in the Legislative Assembly, Fadnavis said the decision on the levy of toll at five entry and exit points in Mumbai and on Mumbai-Pune Expressway would be taken after the high level committee headed by Additional Chief Secretary (public works) submits its report on July 31.

Out of the 12 toll plazas, 11 belong to the MSRDC and one of PWD. While of the 53 toll nakas where light motor vehicles and state transport buses will be exempted, 27 belong to PWD and 26 are of MSRDC.

The BJP had promised a toll-free Maharashtra if elected to power after the Assembly polls in October last year. However, the party after forming the government had taken a U-turn saying it had never said so but assured that it would provide some relief to people.
Looks like this will impact ~10% of the total toll collected by the state. So while it protects most of the government revenue, the major bottlenecks (i.e. Mumbai entry points) are yet to be sorted out. If they decide to cancel that toll, it will mean serious loss of revenue for the government. Also, national highways (which come under NHAI) will continue to charge toll.

There was another report in today's Bus Standard that the extension of the Sealink in Mumbai has been scrapped because of opposition to toll collection.

Quote:
Widespread opposition to the proposal of toll collection has prompted the Maharashtra government to cancel three sea link projects worth Rs 16,000 crore.
Old 10th April 2015, 15:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Thats some relief but why wait for two months for the order to come into effect? The big fish are the MEPL and the Mumbai Pune Expressway. If these are done away with, then only a noticeable difference will be seen. I don't think the govt is easily going to let the go the cash cow.

Did any one notice how for the past couple of months, the Mulund toll on the Eastern express highway has converted two lanes of toll collection going to Thane to four further down the road to avoid traffic build up at the toll. The way the overhead cables are hanging, the roads squeezed to accommodate 4 vehicles in place of two is despicable.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:21   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats some relief but why wait for two months for the order to come into effect? The big fish are the MEPL and the Mumbai Pune Expressway. If these are done away with, then only a noticeable difference will be seen. I don't think the govt is easily going to let the go the cash cow.
I personally think Mumbai Pune Expressway should not be exempt. They will need the revenue to maintain the road and signage. If not, that road will become a killer road. In any case, it is not a road which people use on a daily basis. They can lower the cost if need be. But completely removing will make this road a "killer" road even though it is already close to being one.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I personally think Mumbai Pune Expressway should not be exempt. They will need the revenue to maintain the road and signage.
The toll collection for Mumbai Pune E-way is till end of 2019 whereas MEPL is till 2026 (as read in newspapers). Ideally if the revenue earned was used for road repairs and said signages, then I would have welcomed it. But even after recent rise in the toll rates, there are some (or may be many) stretches which haven't got the required attention. The same logic applies to Mumbai roads too and we have seen monsoon after monsoon what happens to the condition of the roads.

I am for the tolls but provided they really serve the purpose. Tolls created/existing out of political conditions should not be accepted. My personal view.

Can you imagine its been 10 years+ since Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai people are paying a premium of re 1 for every litre of fuel sold in the region to fund the flyover & road constructions?

Last edited by ghodlur : 10th April 2015 at 15:39.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally think Mumbai Pune Expressway should not be exempt. They will need the revenue to maintain the road and signage. If not, that road will become a killer road. In any case, it is not a road which people use on a daily basis. They can lower the cost if need be. But completely removing will make this road a "killer" road even though it is already close to being one.
Do you have any statistics to buttress your claims that the Bombay Pune Expressway will become a "killer road" if the toll is abolished? By the way, just what is your definition of a "Killer road"?

Do you believe that the current maintenance of the road is upto the mark and that there are no fatal accidents as of now?

In my opinion, the Bombay Pune expressway will never be made toll free since its a cash cow for IRB and Maharashtra's politicians. But, it was blatantly illegal of the Maharashtra government to levy a toll on the old Bombay Pune road. They did this only to bail out IRB, which claimed to be making losses due to the large volume of traffic on the old road. Now, pray tell me why should any government bail out a private contractor who has supposedly bid for toll collection based on an open transparent bidding process?
Old 10th April 2015, 16:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Do you have any statistics to buttress your claims that the Bombay Pune Expressway will become a "killer road" if the toll is abolished? By the way, just what is your definition of a "Killer road"?
Nopes, no such statistics.

But who will pay to maintain the road?

Imagine a road without proper reflectors, road side barricades, lane markings, police patrolling etc. Already there are lots of accidents on this road due to various reasons and the most being over speeding.

There are four tunnels on this road which requires heavy maintenance. Who will pay for its upkeep, like lighting, ventilator fans, evacuation lanes, drainage etc.

During monsoons, there are cases of rock falling at the ghats. This section is reinforced by steel wire mesh nets. The mesh needs to be changed every few years. Who will pay to do that?

When this road first started, there were lots of cases of dacoit cases. Cars were waylaid by armed robbers and occupants assaulted. Do you know when it stopped? After a police patrolling unit was raised. It was partly funded by the toll collection.

At present we have a lovely experience of travelling on this road. It is safe too if we drive safely and cautiously. If we pay, we can question deficiency in service else we can just crib.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:14   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ideally if the revenue earned was used for road repairs and said signages, then I would have welcomed it.

Typically bulk of toll collection is used to meet the financing cost of rod construction. The cost of repairs and maintenance is relatively small. Incidentally, if I remember correctly the term of toll collection for Mumbai Pune expressway was extended to end 2023.

Of course Mumbai entry points is the one exception where there is no correlation between the toll collection and construction cost.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think every major city has some kind of entry tax/ toll. Same goes with Mumbai, though I am not happy to see one more toll that came up recently in New Bombay area.

I am happy though, that the travel time has been cut down due to the road completion in New Bombay, compared to last year.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 17:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nopes, no such statistics.

But who will pay to maintain the road?

Imagine a road without proper reflectors, road side barricades, lane markings, police patrolling etc. Already there are lots of accidents on this road due to various reasons and the most being over speeding.

There are four tunnels on this road which requires heavy maintenance. Who will pay for its upkeep, like lighting, ventilator fans, evacuation lanes, drainage etc.

During monsoons, there are cases of rock falling at the ghats. This section is reinforced by steel wire mesh nets. The mesh needs to be changed every few years. Who will pay to do that?

When this road first started, there were lots of cases of dacoit cases. Cars were waylaid by armed robbers and occupants assaulted. Do you know when it stopped? After a police patrolling unit was raised. It was partly funded by the toll collection.

At present we have a lovely experience of travelling on this road. It is safe too if we drive safely and cautiously. If we pay, we can question deficiency in service else we can just crib.
Firstly, I'm not cribbing. I'm pointing out the sordid facts about how the Mumbai Pune Expressway toll contract was not done in a transparent and fair bidding.

Secondly, even though it is currently tolled, there are still landslides every year. I wonder how that happens since the current toll operator is doing such a splendid job in maintaining the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think every major city has some kind of entry tax/ toll. Same goes with Mumbai, though I am not happy to see one more toll that came up recently in New Bombay area.

I am happy though, that the travel time has been cut down due to the road completion in New Bombay, compared to last year.
Err, I beg to differ, the new toll booth near Kharghar takes about 30 mins to get through, so my travel time has gone up actually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks