Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 18:52   #91
BHPian

Re: 44 Toll Plazas in Maharashtra to be shut down

Great news !!!
Maharashtra government has decided to scrap toll for light motor vehicles and state transport buses at 53 toll tax plazas in the state
Besides, 12 toll plazas in the state will be shutdown permanently by next month
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mahar...ehicles-753854
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 00:30   #92
Senior - BHPian

.... and we have our first casualty of the populist approach: 16000 cr of sea-link projects cancelled in favor of a coastal road. Its another matter that both options are expensive projects (while the city's lifeline remains the overcrowded local trains)

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0800413_1.html

The Congress-Nationalist Congress Party government in the state had proposed these sea links — Worli-Haji Ali sea link (Rs 5,000 crore), Bandra-Versova sea link (Rs 6,000 crore) and Nariman Point-Haji Ali Sea Link (Rs 5,000 crore) — as part of the Western Freeway Sea Link. However, the proposal to collect toll has encountered enormous opposition from the fishermen, and members of the ruling as well as the Opposition parties and non-government organisations have expressed doubt over its viability.

The government has now decided to implement the 35.6-km coastal road connecting Nariman Point in south Mumbai and Kandivli in the north.

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th April 2015 at 00:32.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 20:19   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan_cruise View Post
Rather than removing tolls, can't the government introduce smart cards for toll collection and reduce the tolls amount.

Here in Dubai, we have a smart tag called 'Salik', which we have to recharge like a prepaid mobile connection. Vehicle passes through a toll gate, toll gets debited from the tag.

No stopping,No waiting,No fuel wasting involved, you just drive through. The toll charges are 4 dirhams for a car (64 rs).

While, it may seem less, considering the number of cars travelling to and fro, the amount comes upto a high figure.

But of-course the roads are good so people don't mind paying 4 bucks per journey.

The traffic (dubai->sharjah and back during rush hour) well the less i say, the better. Imagine mumbai traffic minus the honking.
Such systems already exist at many locations in India as well and soon most of the remaining toll plazas will have them as well.
Old 21st April 2015, 18:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Can we have a list of the toll plazas where LMVs are exempted for paying Toll?
I believe the Govt, has identified 53 of these.

Also, which 12 toll plazas have been abolished?
Any update on the 5 entry point toll for LMVs. I guess they are evaluating the options and decision is by June? Any updates on the likeliness of scrapping them?
Old 1st June 2015, 12:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Its first June and have been getting some mixed reactions on the social media websites about the tolls. One of my office colleague coming from Airoli was asked to pay the toll whereas my friend coming on the same route did not pay anything. Similarly office colleague crossing the Vashi toll did not pay anything today. A few friends have been updating about not paying anything while crossing the dahisar toll for the past two days. Now totally confused about the status of these tolls. As per the recent announcement, 53 tolls have exemptions for private vehicles and state owned vehicles, 11 tolls closed whereas decision on MEPL was awaited till 31st July 2015.

Can anyone confirm whats the update now??
Old 1st June 2015, 12:09   #96
BHPian

Crossed the Kharghar toll last night shortly post midnight. Massive bursting of crackers and they were allowing all vehicles to pass.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Crossed the Kharghar toll last night shortly post midnight. Massive bursting of crackers and they were allowing all vehicles to pass.
This was known and is among the 11 tolls which were closed. The confusion is regarding the MEPL's. I guess some vehicles are taking advantage of this confusion and categorically denying the toll. Poor Toll staff, they too are a confused lot.
Old 5th June 2015, 00:15   #98
BHPian

Kamothe toll was exempting cars but on NH 4 just after the second exit of lonavala while coming from Mumbai I was asked to pay 30 Rs at the Kusgaon toll plaza. Now this is in contrast to some other reports. There is absolute lack of clarity! They even had some kind of notice which mentioned "as per latest notification received on June 01, 2015 no exemption has been granted at this toll booth"

Anyone have a complete list of tolls which have an exemption / have been shut?
Old 5th June 2015, 09:22   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Kamothe toll was exempting cars but on NH 4 just after the second exit of lonavala while coming from Mumbai I was asked to pay 30 Rs at the Kusgaon toll plaza. Now this is in contrast to some other reports. There is absolute lack of clarity! They even had some kind of notice which mentioned "as per latest notification received on June 01, 2015 no exemption has been granted at this toll booth"

Anyone have a complete list of tolls which have an exemption / have been shut?
The toll exempt roads are only state roads maintained by PWD and MSRDC. The toll exemption does not apply to NH roads anywhere. Toll exemption also does not apply to some select toll booths like Mumbai entry points, Pune expressway, Bandra Worli Sea Link and maybe one other road.

In your case, Kamothe toll plaza was under MSRDC and Kusegaon under NHAI. So the latter will continue.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 10:02   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think States have any jurisdiction on removal of NHAI tolls.

MH & TN have the highest number of NHAI tolls, as of June 2015. (In addition to local/state/private tolls)

# source: NHAI website http://nhtis.org/tolllist.htm

44 Toll Plazas in Maharashtra to be shut down-tolls.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th June 2015 at 10:03.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 15:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

I really love Kerela in this regard. The tolls there are ridiculously low (Rs. 3/ Rs. 5 etc.) and they don't have long queues either.

Coming back to Maharashtra, I am searching for a list (or better still a map view) of tolls which are valid in the state.

Does anyone have this?
Old 7th June 2015, 08:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

I,am a Pune-Mumbai_pune weekend commuter.I din't pay any toll at the Kamothe toll.That makes me richer by 60 bucks(30 bucks one way). I have heard in due course of time even the Airoli toll will be scrapped.At the expressway I saw a placard displaying " The expressway does not have any toll exemptions".
Old 14th June 2015, 13:11   #103
BHPian

An update on toll-
A local newspaper reports that, the Government of Maharashtra, on 26th of May 2015, had decided to exempt LMVs from payment of toll on certain plazas in the State, one such plaza being the Sion-Panvel toll plaza. Now as expected, the toll collector has approached the Mumbai High Court.
While hearing the case, the Chief Justice asked the State Counsel to enlighten the Court, as to how is the Government going to fund the maintenance works if there is no toll collection, and on what basis has the Government exempted LMVs from payment of toll. It has taken a view that toll collection is necessary in order to provide better roads to the public. During the course of hearing, the Court has also said that if the Government does not re-consider its decision, the Court itself will have to intervene in it.
Old 14th June 2015, 14:00   #104
BHPian

Does the 'honorable court' not know we pay an exorbitant one time tax on private vehicles and on top of that we have to pay toll too . Does the court see no reason in this ? The government has erred by awarding toll contracts to private players and not keeping a check on them , and now the court wants to hold us responsible ?
Old 15th June 2015, 11:29   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Does the 'honorable court' not know we pay an exorbitant one time tax on private vehicles and on top of that we have to pay toll too . Does the court see no reason in this ? The government has erred by awarding toll contracts to private players and not keeping a check on them , and now the court wants to hold us responsible ?
Don't blame the court for this fiasco (I am actually surprised they are able to come to conclusions this fast!!).

Govt calling in private operators to built, own, operate roads means that Govt either:
(a) collects insufficient money via road/registration tax
OR
(b) collects sufficient tax from you, but squanders it on hare brained schemes and public projects. (Which fetches them votes from you)
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed