Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

My car has gone to service center. Used Uber first time. Have already used twice since yesterday.

1. Yesterday evening
2. Today Morning

Had got 3 (200 bucks each) coupon.

Is there any other way to get coupons (other than your referral using Uber first time)?

Seems, I am getting addicted to this.

With 200 bucks discount coupon, I am getting Innova rides at rates cheaper than autorickshaw to my home.

Also, what is the factor it takes to have a unique ID? Can I register using same mobile number and same credit card as a new member and then avail those 3 coupons again?
Old 28th September 2014, 23:49   #137
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Hey GTO, I didnt realize you reviewed Uber and other services. One of the other perks of being on Team BHP for users like me, I guess. Thanks for the review; am now looking forward to using this service with more understanding. Specially liked your pros and cons around costs, plus fixed time / usability comparisons. Thanks again!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:41   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Uber's surge pricing concept might have been accepted in the USA, but I doubt it will be in India.

For one, Uber is cheaper than cabs in the USA. Second, Uber is already an expensive service in India.

This surge pricing makes it very pricey. Saw it for the first time last evening. What's more, UberX is hardly ever available in Mumbai!!

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-20141001-13.18.32.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
what is the factor it takes to have a unique ID? Can I register using same mobile number and same credit card as a new member and then avail those 3 coupons again?
I think, as customers, we should be reasonable & appreciate a good service, not try to fleece the provider of that service. If you've already used up those coupons, why try to find back doors to use the coupons again?

I don't agree with this line of thought. If you find the service to be good (which you clearly do), please pay for it so that the business actually survives. NOTE: This isn't about Uber; it's about every product & service out there.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2014 at 23:03.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:13   #139
Team-BHP Support

Remember the stories of how Meru/ Easy Cab drivers are under a ticking timebomb of having to pay Rs 800 // day with no time off, Call centre drivers driving for 12 hour shifts?

Just wanted to share this article on Uber and how the drivers benefits

More here
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Just wanted to share this article on Uber and how the drivers benefits

More here

The article is bang on with the conversations I have had with two Uber drivers in Bombay. Both of them own the Innovas they are driving - one had spent 3 years with a 5 star hotel and the other had been a normal rental car driver. They both talked about how Uber had changed their lives - given them more control over their working hours,better income, and most importantly on time cash flow. They were both also very polite, and had a sense of pride in what they are doing. And of course, Uber has made my life easier too - I have always managed without a driver and usually have to plan my meetings with time for parking - with Uber, I am now more willing to leave my own car back in the office.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:54   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Once in while I think I could be a Uber driver during idle time That's how much they have changed the perspective
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 16:48   #142
BHPian

I am a big fan of this service. Have used it multiple times in Pune and Hyderabad (Airport drop from hotel). The service is excellent.
Yesterday mom wanted to go out in the evening with me (after office!) I was tired and the route which we were supposed to take has medium/heavy traffic. Ordered an UberX (Dzire), when we arrived was billed zero (300 credit for inviting a friend). Return was with monthly groceries and an Innova (UBlack) came to pick up. Was charged 90 bucks for the return journey (with the remainder of credit offset).
I intend to use this for my office commute some time - esp. when there is traffic and parking issues expected.
Old 5th October 2014, 13:35   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Once in while I think I could be a Uber driver during idle time That's how much they have changed the perspective
There was a thread on reddit the other day about a guy booking Über and getting picked up in a Tesla Model S. Wow. That prompted a discussion on how owners of luxury cars who don't mind making some extra cash on weekends are signing up with Uber big time. Sadly this option is not available in India since you will need a commercial taxi driver license to even sign up.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:42   #144
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Got a 4-day old Aria last night! What a refreshing change. Long time since I sat in one....a wonderful product, if only Tata hadn't messed up the pricing & reliability.

Asked the wife to guess who built the car we were riding in. When I told her, she couldn't believe it's a Tata!

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-20141005-23.48.08.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:51   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
There was a thread on reddit the other day about a guy booking Über and getting picked up in a Tesla Model S. Wow. That prompted a discussion on how owners of luxury cars who don't mind making some extra cash on weekends are signing up with Uber big time. Sadly this option is not available in India since you will need a commercial taxi driver license to even sign up.

Be glad that this option is not available in India. Given that most luxury cars are in the possession of drivers all days, you may find that drivers start moonlighting on Uber without the owners even knowing what's happening. You already have examples of drivers taking leave to work with tourist taxi agencies on peak demand days, while that is a bad enough, a situation where your luxury car and petrol are used to help the driver earn would be far worse.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 11:54   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Be glad that this option is not available in India. Given that most luxury cars are in the possession of drivers all days, you may find that drivers start moonlighting on Uber without the owners even knowing what's happening. You already have examples of drivers taking leave to work with tourist taxi agencies on peak demand days, while that is a bad enough, a situation where your luxury car and petrol are used to help the driver earn would be far worse.
I can understand the leave part, it's been happening for long and nothing can be done about it. However I hope a simple Vehicle Ownership check by Uber is enough to prevent drivers taking their Owner's car for Uber rides.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:42   #147
Team-BHP Support

Uber, the taxi hailing app which kicked off its services in India by offering luxury cars such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW to its clients, seems to be replacing them with more economical cars like the Toyota Innova, Corolla and Honda City.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 20:19   #148
BHPian

I'm hoping that Uber "re"introduces the premium luxury cars as "Uber Black" (possibly at a premium price point), while rechristening the hondas and toyotas to a less premium name (Uber XL?) giving the customer the choice to choose what they want to pay for. They have 5 different "variants" in new york, so why not here?.

Ideally I'd like the option to choose from:
Uber X - Economy Cabs (D'zire etc.)
Uber XL - C (and maybe entry level D) segment cars
Uber Black - The Uber Luxury germans
Uber SUV - The Innova
Uber Black SUV - Luxury SUV'S (from the humble fortuner to the mighty q7)

I think the ability to allow customers to specifically request an innova (instead of say a honda city) is a huge missed oppurtunity for Uber.
adisag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 07:34   #149
BHPian

Hi,

I havent used UBER in a while & wanted to know whether the payment terms are same as before or we have to wait for an OTP to complete the transaction? I believe there was an issue regarding this which the RBI took up as UBER was using a foreign gateway for their transactions.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:19   #150
BHPian

The way the transaction is carried is still hassle free. No OTP/PIN required still. This is in Pune though. Don't know about the other cities

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks