Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2015, 04:43   #706
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

While using Uber Premium, have you come across any situation where the local auto-unions have created problems for the cab drivers? I guess this isn't a common sight at airport but more so around railway stations and those Volvo stops.

Recently, an article on Facebook went pretty viral where the person shared his experience about this in Pune. At Sangwamwadi bridge where many Volvos end their journey, local auto guys thrashed the driver and even abused the passenger. The passenger had no choice but to travel by the autos. As always, the auto guys denied going by meter and charged a bomb to the passenger.
Purely, a case of hooliganism and ransom.

I've experienced this at Pune Railway Station (in December 2014) where the cab driver requested to call up only when I am out of the station and requested to stand somewhere far away from autos. But, the driver only spoke about arguments with auto drivers and nothing beyond that.

If such occurrences can be in control at the airport, the authorities can surely control the same at railway stations and popular intercity bus-stops.
Old 19th July 2015, 19:50   #707
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

I ve used Uber some 4-5 times this last week. Mostly for inner city/ CBD commutes. Just to save myself from driving in Bengaluru traffic.
The cost per trip, irrespective of peak or non peak hours, came to about 85-125 range.
Far better than an Auto Rickshaw.

However, the downside is that most of the Uber GO cabs that Ive used here are filthy, smell horrible, have dirty or dusty seats and despite the AC etc, frankly, these are not really vehicles for fastidious people. The standard of maintenance of these vehicles leave a great deal to be desired - at least in Bangalore.

On the contrary, every single Uber Ive used outside of India, has been superb.

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2015 at 14:34. Reason: Lets not generalise all cab drivers with derogatory terms
Old 19th July 2015, 19:56   #708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, the downside is that most of the Uber GO cabs that Ive used here are filthy, smell horrible, have dirty or dusty seats and despite the AC etc, frankly, these are not really vehicles for fastidious people. The standard of maintenance of these vehicles leave a great deal to be desired - at least in Bangalore.
Why even bother with Uber GO? I only use UberX. The difference is Re.1/km. The per minute cost is same.

I use only Uber X as it's available more easily and the cabs vary from Etios, Verito to Innova, Fluence, Ertiga.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 21:53   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service. EDIT: Banned in Delhi after Rape case

I have actually had a very decent experience with UberGo as well. Checked my trip history: most of my last few rides were on Go, and all rated 4 or 5*
Old 20th July 2015, 00:59   #710
BHPian

In Kolkata were not clear what seggregates uber go and x. I've got dzire in both and almost each and every uber here are dzire... Apart from indicas and indigo's which ply as uber go. But from cleanliness perspective never felt much difference in both
Old 20th July 2015, 06:30   #711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Why even bother with Uber GO? I only use UberX. The difference is Re.1/km. The per minute cost is same.

I use only Uber X as it's available more easily and the cabs vary from Etios, Verito to Innova, Fluence, Ertiga.

I would happily use UBER X or even UBER Black but for the general non - availability in these classes of vehicles when I need them!

Uber GO seems to be plentifully available on the other hand. But by George, most of those cars are really dirty, dusty and smell horrid. Invariably I am overcome by a sneezing fit whenever I use one of these Uber Go vehicles!

Perhaps, I should just battle the traffic and parking woes in my own, clean, nice smelling car!
Old 20th July 2015, 08:45   #712
Senior - BHPian

Most of the cabbies operating Ola mini have also taken on Uber go, so that pretty often order an ola and then order a uber for your friend and the same fellow cancels your ola booking & then shows up for your friend with the uber because his is an airport drop, yours is a short haul local trip.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:10   #713
BANNED

So this week I did use UBER X a couple of times.
Was lucky to get a brand new car with a very nice driver to whom I gave a 5 Star rating.

I used the car to go to a place. Completed my work in a few minutes. Ended the trip and re-booked an Uber X and I was pleased to see that the same cabbie accepted the return journey.

So it was almost like my private cab for both the onward as well as return journeys!

Very good quality. Uber X gets my vote over Uber Go any day.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:56   #714
BHPian

I have been using Uber for the past few weeks. Specifically for drop and pick up to and from railway stations and intra-city. All the times, we used both Uber X and Uber Go. We received good conditioned cars ( a lot of them new) and since payment is done via PayTm no hassles whatsoever.

Only in one case, the driver asked for some "chai-paani" when we got a drop late in the night. My father in law was generous enough to give him 10/15 rs but we got an update from Uber that we need not pay such tips.
Old 29th July 2015, 18:46   #715
BHPian

I've been using UberGo twice everyday to commute to and from my office for the last 15 days here in Delhi / Noida.

I've mostly got Etios / Dzire as most of my rides. And they've all been exceptionally clean and nice-smelling The biggest car I got was an SX-4 once and the worst was an old Indica (which was still acceptably clean and possibly the only option at 11 PM one night) out of 24 trips. Surprisingly Swifts have been very rare. There have been a few WagonRs and even an i10 once !

I once got an Eeco too! I took it since I was in a hurry. But the ride was very bouncy. After that, I've cancelled two trips once I saw that I'm getting an Eeco.

I've never used Uber in Bangalore though that is my base location. Looks like I'll have to call an UberX in Bangalore going by the feedback here.

Their customer support is very good though. Three times, I've got my fare reviewed because the route taken was not the optimal one and I'd ended u[p paying more than my usual commuting fare. All three times, the customer care responded immediately after I submitted my feedback through the app and resolved the issue (refunded the amounts to my PayTM wallet).
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:25   #716
Team-BHP Support

Uber is planning to expand its business in India with an investment of US$ 1 billion over nine months. The company is of the opinion that online ride hailing is likely to grow at a fast pace in the country. India has become the largest market geographically for Uber outside the US.

The investment will be used to improve operations, expand into newer cities, and develop new products and payment solutions. It will support 2,00,000 more jobs.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 14:07   #717
Senior - BHPian

So did anyone see/use the "cash" mode till now?
I got the email from Uber, but yet to see the mode in the app.
Old 31st July 2015, 14:35   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So did anyone see/use the "cash" mode till now?
I got the email from Uber, but yet to see the mode in the app.
Seen and used.
Click on Right Arrow on right side of set up location.
You will see either card or paytm at the bottom just above fare estimate and promo code.
Tap it.
All choices of payment modes will display. Choose the radio button against mode as desired.
Old 31st July 2015, 16:02   #719
BHPian

Any idea when does the credit card option come to iOS users for Uber?
Old 31st July 2015, 16:28   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Any idea when does the credit card option come to iOS users for Uber?
Already there. Total 3 options, cash, PayTM & Card. Oops, oversight, mind was thinking Android.

Most Viewed