Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2017, 00:12   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Every time I have used an Uber, the driver has requested for a 5 star rating.
Yep, though the highly ranked drivers (4.7+) do not ask since they are confident about their ability to make passengers happy, this irritating statement is said by the drivers who don't know the basics of customer treatment, they just drive in their own clunky manner and ask for a 5.0 rating, they apparently found this method easier to up their ratings without the subtleties and details which are needed to be done in terms of service.

Quote:
Unlike most BHP-ians who are particular about the way a driver drives, the rest just want to reach their destination as soon as possible. They don't care if he is jerky, drives aggressively or anything. They reach, driver asks to be rated 5 stars, they rate him 5 stars and go on their merry way.
Exactly, many people just get in, and be themselves and allow the driver to be himself all through the journey and both cancel each other out. This is the sole reason for unexplained high ratings for a driver to whom I'd not give even 1 star.

Quote:
Regarding the car being dirty or smelly - most of the time we choose UberGo which we know is the cheapest option available and similar to a regular taxi in terms of cleanliness, so don't have high expectations on that front either unless the car is an extreme example.
I used UberGo initially, they were far from satisfactory so now on the rare occasion I want their dreadful services I choose UberX only, over 60% of the X vehicles are poorly maintained as well, by that I mean soiled seat covers, usage of fabric home doormats (YES!) on the rear seats, unclean footwells and downright, terrible driving. As usual once in awhile a gem of a driver does show up and with them the experience is absolutely flawless and can be worth remembering, even. Majority of the drivers are just morose and go about trying to chase a target while a few come along with a smile and do it just for a satisfaction and they can easily make more money without aspiring for it.

Quote:
Personally though - I wish there was a way for Uber/Ola to monitor how the driver drives (speed limits), and behaves when not on a trip (such as refusing a destination).
Would be way too intrusive, as the only way is a live camera stream from the front. Overall because of just too many people jumping ship to become UBER drivers, the experience and general view of such services have gone down considerably. I've had the following bad experiences which if Uber comes to know of, will easily ban these drivers :

1) Asking for full ratings.. though only 5-6 have asked so, politely.

2) Asking to "change destination" aka empty running - over 2 dozen times I've been asked this question, whether I'd change the destination to their location of choice so that they can fulfill their target. Many times they did it themselves by just pretending to end trip and quoting a random fare (much lower than expected though).

Not really, big problems but again, not ideal behavior either for cabbies who have the convenience of getting fare through online requests without the empty burning of fuel, they are a little better off than the rickshaws.

The software of UBER has its share of problems too :

1) Mapping fails 6/10 times, suggests a wrong route, delays a pick-up etc etc
2) Always asks to track location, keep asking, I ain't giving the permission.
3) Inaccurate fare estimates.
4) Doesn't save destinations automatically for quick selection.
5) Needs network to pull out the destinations saved list.

Overall they are not satisfactory now and deteriorating by the day. I'm glad I've stopped them for a large part. I choose only the 4.6/4.7+ drivers when they're available, they are worth even a 50% premium. Uber X/XL have gotten me many interesting, spacious cars including Duster, Innova & Sunny.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st January 2017 at 00:14.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 20:17   #887
BHPian

Banned by Uber for life before using one!

I have been privileged to be banned by Uber even before I could take my first ride!
I had installed and signed up with Uber about 2 years back, when I had to contribute 200/- to their wallet (or provide credit card, which I didn't want to).

Now, when I tried the app last week, it tells me that my account is disabled. Luckily it allowed me to email customer support. Rest is history!

I'm banned for life, for some unpardonable sin, which cannot be corrected by any living or non-living being on the planet as per the mail I received.

On further pestering, I got another mail indicating that I am using a banned device! After that, Uber support gets into an infinite loop (copy paste loop) with the the same responses.

Now the Uber's wallet is no more, and along with it, the Rs.200 goes to Uber bottom-line. Uber support does not even reply on this money! They could be a bit courteous with a Thank You, even if their supercomputers wont allow a refund!

Anyone knows what are the possible sins that can cause this ban, even before I could use their service? Also, what happens to the Rs.200/- I paid them?

BTW, I had moved from a Redmond designed phone (Lumia) to a Beijing designed one (Lenovo) about a year back. I'm wondering if Uber software didn't like this?
Attached Images

Last edited by samm : 24th January 2017 at 20:20.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 21:46   #888
Senior - BHPian

does uber have its own wallet? as far as I know they use paytm - if you can log into your paytm account, you can use the money for something else
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:57   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
does uber have its own wallet? as far as I know they use paytm - if you can log into your paytm account, you can use the money for something else
When they had launched, they had only credit card payment. Later they introduced their own 'wallet' but just for uber payments. Subsequently, they made several changes in their app, and payment systems.
Old 25th January 2017, 12:24   #890
BHPian

Re: Banned by Uber for life before using one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I have been privileged to be banned by Uber even before I could take my first ride!
Couple of more screenshots of emails sent by Uber. They are so customer focused, that even though I'm banned for life, I'm allowed to contact them (HOW? WHY if banned?) for any ride issues that I might encounter!

Still no update on the Rs.200 contribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber3.jpg  

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber2.jpg  

Old 14th March 2017, 06:51   #891
Senior - BHPian

In today's Selfie centric world, how could Uber be left behind? TOI reports that drivers will henceforth be required to take selfies while logging in to their account. Please read this excerpt:

Quote:
Uber rolls out selfie-based safety feature

Soon, taking a selfie will be a part and parcel of your rides with Uber. But it'll be the drivers who have to click themselves.

The cab aggregator has rolled out a real-time ID check that prompts drivers to share a selfie before going online.A release from Uber on Monday said this will help ensure the driver using the app is the same as the one the company has in its records. Officials say the feature, which uses Microsoft Cognitive Services, will be effective in protecting both riders and drivers.

The security feature was launched on Monday in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Kolkata. Officials said it'll be introduced in other cities subsequently. The idea is to prevent fraud and protect drivers' accounts from being compromised. It also protects riders by building another layer of accountability into the app to ensure the right person is at the wheel.

“This will go a long way in keeping our riders and drivers safe,“ said Joe Sullivan, chief security officer, Uber...

The technology involves verification of the driver-partners too. The company claims it has a zero-tolerance policy towards any abusive behaviour on its platform. “We recruit driver-partners with valid documents, after a comprehensive background check and a mandatory soft-skill training,“ said Sullivan.
A very clever move to ensure biometric identification of drivers.

Full report at: http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...14032017003018
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 07:58   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Now, when I tried the app last week, it tells me that my account is disabled. Luckily it allowed me to email customer support. Rest is history!
I faced the same issue last week when i moved from Hyderabad to Chennai. I was using Uber in Hyderabad with office number which i surrendered now. In Chennai, when i tried register with my personal number, i got message that my account is disabled. When i wrote to Uber support, they said i have violated their terms of usage. Wondering even without using the Uber once, how i can violate their terms. This number is with me even before Uber is launched in India.
r_devakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 08:09   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm banned for life, for some unpardonable sin, which cannot be corrected by any living or non-living being on the planet as per the mail I received.

On further pestering, I got another mail indicating that I am using a banned device! After that, Uber support gets into an infinite loop (copy paste loop) with the the same responses.
Is this for real? Why on Earth are they against certain devices? I didn't understand the logic behind this. Did you try speaking to them instead of mailing? You can try tweeting this to their CEO. That might do the trick. Even though it is a small amount, how can they ban your account and just do away with that cash!

Did you try google to find a reason? It must have happened with others too.

Last edited by drmohitg : 14th March 2017 at 08:10.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:24   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
In Chennai, when i tried register with my personal number, i got message that my account is disabled. When i wrote to Uber support, they said i have violated their terms of usage. Wondering even without using the Uber once, how i can violate their terms. This number is with me even before Uber is launched in India.
Seems like you are also in the same boat of sinners! I changed my phone, you changed the SIM. Uber's super computers wont understand both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is this for real? Why on Earth are they against certain devices? I didn't understand the logic behind this. Did you try speaking to them instead of mailing? You can try tweeting this to their CEO. That might do the trick. Even though it is a small amount, how can they ban your account and just do away with that cash!

Did you try google to find a reason? It must have happened with others too.
Uber doesn't allow to contact them by any easy means; rather, I couldn't find a way. Even for mailing, I got a link (or mail.. dont remember) when I clicked some button inside the app to contact them. I need to reply only through that link/mail. I could not find a mail ID to send a direct mail. I couldn't find a phone number as well. (Update - did find a contact page on uber site, but not sure if this will yield any better results)

I did tweet Uber support, and also posted to their FB page, NO response.
Will try tweeting their CEO now. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by samm : 15th March 2017 at 18:25. Reason: added an update
Old 15th March 2017, 18:40   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had installed and signed up with Uber about 2 years back, when I had to contribute 200/- to their wallet (or provide credit card, which I didn't want to).
Not using the app for two years after installing it and not providing credit card details may have raised a red flag in their system. It must have thought of you as a Transport/Police officer/regulator trying to trap Uber. You may have been Greyballed here. Please read this:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57459112.cms
Old 15th March 2017, 21:41   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like you are also in the same boat of sinners! I changed my phone, you changed the SIM. Uber's super computers wont understand both!
How will the app work if you change your SIM? Isn't it connected via your number? Although I am sure there must be an option to change the number based on verifying the Email ID.

I have myself changed 2 phones since downloading UBER ( although the same number) and haven't faced this issue.
Old 21st March 2017, 16:15   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Not using the app for two years after installing it and not providing credit card details may have raised a red flag in their system. It must have thought of you as a Transport/Police officer/regulator trying to trap Uber. You may have been Greyballed here. Please read this:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57459112.cms
Probably yes. But it did work for quite some time, though I didn't use the cab. Now, knowing Uber, I will never ever give any critical info to them. Good that my contribution was limited to 200 INR, and not my credit card! Anyways, I don't think using or not using Uber is going to impact my life. So I didn't bother about it much. Uber anyways doesn't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How will the app work if you change your SIM? Isn't it connected via your number? Although I am sure there must be an option to change the number based on verifying the Email ID.

I have myself changed 2 phones since downloading UBER ( although the same number) and haven't faced this issue.
Obviously, I assumed, the phone number was updated in the system. Otherwise, the error should have been different, not a ban, I guess.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 11:59   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who may have gotten an update request in their Android/iOS for Uber today, heads-up > it is an absolutely horrendous update, the whole look of the software has changed and Oooober has made slight tweaks to the method of setting pick up and drop-off destinations, subtly forcing people to absolutely enable GPS tracking by making the manual process cumbersome.

Nice try! Oooober, you are treading a fine line here by making people choose your way instead of allowing them to decide on their own, that is the very reason I cancelled a cab immediately after the booking happened and here's the message I get - "You may be partially charged for the ride since the *something I don't remember* has begun", I cancelled immediately and this is the message I get?

Increase charges, increase pickup timings (it shows 3 minutes on app while the driver happily is smoking somewhere or eating food and he picks up the phone in the most cavalier attitude possible to say he's coming and STILL comes after 5 minutes (the distance is not more than 200 meters), arm-twist people into enabling GPS and arm-twist people into pooling by offering ridiculous rates.. nice try.

I've already emailed the company, if they don't keep their customer focus intact they are going to lose. Travis Kalanick likes to squeeze people's heads eh, let me try and squeeze their profits then.
Old 6th May 2017, 13:37   #899
BHPian

Read this rather interesting news article about Uber charging Rs 5,325 for 6-km ride from a techie in Bengaluru. Surely it should have been a technical snag, but it is really annoying to think about the ordeal faced by the passenger and his wasted time.

Link to the news article

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 6th May 2017 at 13:38. Reason: spelling mistake corrected.
Old 6th May 2017, 15:46   #900
BHPian

The latest update does not allow to book a ride from point B if I am at point A.

Most Viewed