Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 21:09   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Must say, Uber has definitely expanded its fleet size in Mumbai. I've used the App about 4 times in 2 weeks and each time, irrespective of time & location, my cab arrived in 10 minutes or less.

This afternoon, I had an Innova down my place in 5 minutes!
From dad's office in downtown area he has never had to wait more than 5 mins for a cab. From home the max has been 18 mins. They are really ramping up. And they have added in the app destination point. The driver doesn't even ask where you want to go if you enter the destination sometimes! The destination feature also has a very good use for Uber. It helps them plan where the cabs need to be. On the app, the driver can see hot spots where he should be waiting to get a guaranteed booking. One of the drivers showed it to my dad. They are extremely happy with Uber.

My dad's driver went for a week holiday and never showed up. It's been more than 2 weeks and my dad doesn't miss him one bit. Earlier with Meru and Ola he used to struggle booking a cab, getting cancellation and then deal with cash/change. Drivers were sometimes rude, talking on phone throughout the drive or just poor hygiene with unkempt vehicles.

Last 2 weeks he has used Uber every day to go to work. Not one complaint. He doesn't use the expensive Uber black but prefers the Cheaper Uber X for daily commute. Till now he has got Etios the most, followed by Dzire and a couple of times Ertiga and today a Chevy Enjoy. On the way back he actually does grocery shopping with the uber cab waiting. 20mins of shopping is like 20 bucks extra.

Only negative is during peak hours before 10am you don't get cabs easily and even if you do it's on Surge pricing.

Basically my Altis has not left the basement in 2 weeks and my dad hasn't felt the need to look out for a driver either.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th September 2014 at 21:11.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 10:58   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The driver doesn't even ask where you want to go if you enter the destination sometimes! The destination feature also has a very good use for Uber.
Umm, I've never used the destination feature. Actually, I don't see it in the Mumbai app either!

Quote:
My dad's driver went for a week holiday and never showed up. It's been more than 2 weeks and my dad doesn't miss him one bit.
A chauffeur away on leave is actually the reason behind this review . If my driver wasn't away in the months of April & May, I wouldn't have used Uber enough to be able to write a detailed review on them.

Yes, totally agree. Full-time driver's absence doesn't bother us anymore.

Quote:
He doesn't use the expensive Uber black but prefers the Cheaper Uber X for daily commute.
Uber X still not launched in Mumbai.

Quote:
20mins of shopping is like 20 bucks extra.
I thought it's 2 bucks a minute? Is Bangalore cheaper?
Old 10th September 2014, 11:05   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Uber X still not launched in Mumbai.

I thought it's 2 bucks a minute? Is Bangalore cheaper?
That's what Bangalore has a huge price advantage plus we have Uber X and Uber black.

Uber X is base fare of Rs.50+Rs.15/km+Rs.1/min. On top of this Bangalore gets a flat discount of 25% on the final bill amount.

Take a look at yesterday's ride summary including a 20mins shopping break.
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-screen-shot-20140910-11.04.34-am.png
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
My dad's driver went for a week holiday and never showed up.
Imagine your dad ends up getting into a Uber taxi driven by the same driver That would be an anti climax!

Quote:
A chauffeur away on leave is actually the reason behind this review . If my driver wasn't away in the months of April & May, I wouldn't have used Uber enough to be able to write a detailed review on them.

Yes, totally agree. Full-time driver's absence doesn't bother us anymore.
Its a boon for the taxi drivers in the current boom. No wonder its really tough to get private drivers; not to mention the salaries that have gone over the roof.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Umm, I've never used the destination feature. Actually, I don't see it in the Mumbai app either!

Just updated the ios app yesterday and this feature (drop destination) seems to be activated in Delhi.

Yet to try it though. Did you get the update on the app?

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 10th September 2014 at 12:12. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:29   #96
BHPian

Reached bangalore early morning today (6AM) and requested a cab to a railway station. The innova was 7-8km far and would've taken 16 mins as per the app.

The driver calls and tells that since the pickup point is quite far, he'll start the fare from his current location. I decline and ask him to cancel. Two minutes later he calls and asks if I can give him 50Rs by cash for diesel.

Such cheapness
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 17:09   #97
Team-BHP Support

Uber ditched my dad today. Their app stopped working and from 4pm today afternoon the app isn't even opening.

I tried booking an ola cab for him but the cab driver was so rud eon the phone.He couldn't find my dad's office after 20mins of circling. I told him to ask and he said cancel the booking I cannot find your address.

Clearly it's uber or nothing. He is now going back with a colleague.

But man, disappointed the app had this sort of issues. Imagine the cabs idle with no riders able to book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Reached bangalore early morning today (6AM) and requested a cab to a railway station. The innova was 7-8km far and would've taken 16 mins as per the app.

The driver calls and tells that since the pickup point is quite far, he'll start the fare from his current location. I decline and ask him to cancel. Two minutes later he calls and asks if I can give him 50Rs by cash for diesel.

Such cheapness
You need to take this up with Uber. Please mail them. Driver cannot cancel. You may have been charged Rs.100 cancellation charge as well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th September 2014 at 17:10.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 17:25   #98
BHPian

Quote:
You need to take this up with Uber. Please mail them. Driver cannot cancel. You may have been charged Rs.100 cancellation charge as well.

Uber's customer service sucks too. Been over a day and no reply yet.
Didn't get charged on my card. The whole affair probably got over in less than 5 mins from the time of booking (which is their free cancellation window).
Old 11th September 2014, 17:41   #99
Team-BHP Support

I think there was a down time today, app was not working and amidst i messed up my password. Requested a reset, took a while and app also started working when the mail reached my inbox.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:50   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried UBER and it wasn't an UBER experience as it is made out to be -- premium cars, drivers dressed in whites, courteous drivers opening doors etc. Maybe it was in the early days but as they scale and grow, it is no more a premium feel. It felt like how Meru used to be in it's initial days. Nothing premium about it.

I got Innova as one of the uber black rides and this is how dirty the seats were:

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-img_20140906_110425.jpg

The booking process was smooth & driver came on time. No issues about that but that's the minimum expected from a taxi service.

Issues: You can't see what all promo codes you have in the app. You should have the capability to choose which code to apply for which drive. At least i didn't see that capability or couldn't get to use that.

I had issues on coupons that they applied and it is NOT a transparent process. Sent an email on the experience and after 4 days got a generic reply that we have noted the issues, forwarded to driver department & your feedback is precious to us.

Overall a NOT SO UBER EXPERIENCE -- with the taxi feel/billing/customer service.
khan_sultan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 19:12   #101
Team-BHP Support

@ Vysakh - Good that you reported that guy!!

Quote:
If you cancel before 5 mins = no charge.
If you cancel after 5 mins = you get charged.
If the driver cancels (after 5 mins?) = he has to pay the penalty.

So basically, if its been >5 mins and the driver is making excuses, get HIM to cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Issues: You can't see what all promo codes you have in the app. You should have the capability to choose which code to apply for which drive. At least i didn't see that capability or couldn't get to use that.
Basically once you've already signed up (ie. they've motivated you enough to enter your Credit Card details) you can forget about any other promo codes working!

All the "Get 300 off" and "500 Rs credit" stuff is usually only for NEW users. Sure, occasionally there might be a special promo that comes along, but now that you've gone from prospective to current - no more juicy 'free credit' promos for you!!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th September 2014 at 19:13.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 19:28   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
=========
Basically once you've already signed up (ie. they've motivated you enough to enter your Credit Card details) you can forget about any other promo codes working!

All the "Get 300 off" and "500 Rs credit" stuff is usually only for NEW users. Sure, occasionally there might be a special promo that comes along, but now that you've gone from prospective to current - no more juicy 'free credit' promos for you!!

cya
R
I had those 2 "250 off" first 2 ride coupons. The email said that you don't need to do anything and these coupons will be automatically applied to your first two rides.

Now, few days later, totally unrelated to this, i had got 2 "750 worth of uber coupon each" from my bank as part of their quarterly offers they send.

I added these 750 coupons from "website" and it showed a message like -- 'congrats.. you have unlocked coupons etc..' and I could see 2, 250 coupons & 2, 750 coupons in the promo section of the website.

Now in my first 2 rides, I assumed that UBER will apply the 250 worth of coupons but buggers applied 750 worth of coupons and I had planned short rides assuming that 250 credit . So felt not so nice. Agreed that i didn't have to pay but the way they doing these promotions (or co-sponsored promotions in partnerships with banks/etc), any 2 promotions should not be in conflict with each other.

Now, I could see the 250 coupons in the website in addition to some 25% off promotion (till the dates that 250 worth of coupons were valid)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 09:53   #103
Team-BHP Support

Something really funny. My dad got a Rs.300 uber coupon (looked like a credit card) from the driver.

He was quite pleased thinking it was because he was a regular user. I tried applying the coupon and it told me it was only valid for new users!!!

Why would they even give an existing regular customer a coupon for first time use is beyond me. Looks like their main goal is to increase the user base.

If they keep doing this, people will just any number they have and try to register with all of them.

What was disappointing is not a single coupon for existing customers. Even after using so many times, they haven't really rewarded customers for their loyalty.

This way they will have a massive amount of users but majority would have used only once.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:53   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Why not register your mom or some other family member as first time user and book the ride? Then you can have your cake and eat it too!
Old 13th September 2014, 11:37   #105
BHPian

Yep, following an app update it asks for destination as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you cancel before 5 mins = no charge.
If you cancel after 5 mins = you get charged.
If the driver cancels (after 5 mins?) = he has to pay the penalty.
Do you get an email for the cancellation charge?
Asking because I cancelled a trip last week. I had ordered a car, car was 26 minutes away and it didn't move for 10-15 minutes. I was getting late, so I cancelled and drove down. (Cancellation was way over 5 minutes)
I didn't complain to Uber because I thought they didn't charge me, assumed it was a problem from their end.
I got no email from Uber regarding any cancellation or any fee for that day. Will take a look at my card statement carefully and report back.

Also, Uber X started in Toronto a couple of days back. For promotion purposes, DJ Deadmau5 signed up as an Uber X driver and gave rides in his McLaren 650s in downtown Toronto.

Source:
http://http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/...n_5805094.html

http://http://www.theverge.com/2014/...as-uber-driver

Last edited by promit : 13th September 2014 at 11:42. Reason: Adding youtube link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks