Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 11:43   #736
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure if you've typed X when you mean Go?

If so, I've experienced the same (got a Swift Dzire as an UberGo - when normally it is an UberX).

Asked the driver, and he said they had the option of downgrading (or double-listing?) their car in the app -- which he had done since he wasn't getting enough business as an UberX.
Yup they can now be listen in 2 segments at the same time. So before I use an uber, I quickly go one segment below depending on who is closer to see if the same car is listed in the lower segment. I then book the lower segment, and enjoy my trip in the same car at lower rates
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:25   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So before I use an uber, I quickly go one segment below depending on who is closer to see if the same car is listed in the lower segment. I then book the lower segment, and enjoy my trip in the same car at lower rates
There is absolutely no guarantee that the closest vehicle will take your trip.

Today at 05:30am, the closest UberGo was 1 km away and on my side of the road facing me but the UberGo who took me was at that time 5 km away and he needed to take a U-Turn to pick me (adding 2 km for him without starting the meter).
Old 21st August 2015, 14:35   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure if you've typed X when you mean Go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
No, I meant to type X itself. I thought that the Honda City would be part of the higher priced Uber Black, and cars like Dzire, Etios, Manza would be part of Uber X. Hence was surprised when I got City as an Uber X.
I got a Skoda Rapid as Uber X last night. Pleasant surprise since an earlier Dzire driver called me and asked me to cancel since he wanted to go back home in the other direction. Driver was a good chap too. Told him I had a Vento myself so his cab felt very familiar except that I was sitting in the back!

About the Dzire driver who asked me to cancel, I tend to now take a more charitable view since Uber has built a fair amount of equity with me now. Strictly speaking it isn't allowed but the guy made a genuine request so I agreed.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 15:02   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Strictly speaking it isn't allowed but the guy made a genuine request so I agreed.
I am wondering if he wanted to go the other way, why did he respond to the booking call in the first place?

BTW, day before, I called an OLA cab .. the driver was very polite and he even suggested me to try Uber as it works out cheaper for me. He subscribes to both services and take up whichever comes first. I asked, if I get Uber at discount wouldn't he lose out on profit. He mentions that Uber will give him incentive for the remaining, so he will not lose anything. So, I wondered how is Uber going to profit out of it. Is it a temporary ploy to gain the market share? Or is this some different type of business plan?
Old 21st August 2015, 15:07   #740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
There is absolutely no guarantee that the closest vehicle will take your trip.
The closest (/closer?) cars have 15-18 seconds to accept your request, failing which it moves to the ones further away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I am wondering if he wanted to go the other way, why did he respond to the booking call in the first place?
You'll find your answer in this post : link
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 15:27   #741
BHPian

UBER Experience - On 18/08, in Chennai at 10.30 PM, after picking up my brother in law, sister and 3 kids, the driver asked them to get out of the car and also cancel the booking after realising that the drop off point is in the outskirts(Tambaram) of Chennai. Brother in law has placed a complaint with UBER, who is yet to attend to it.

I live in Jayanagar, Bangalore and have used UBER several times and never had any problems with them. The users of UBER are at the mercy of the driver. If the transaction is lucrative, the driver may choose to attend, else you're out.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:46   #742
Senior - BHPian

Uber joins hands with Bharti Airtel to provide free in-car Wifi:

Quote:
As a part of the deal, Uber users get access to free 4G Wifi in Uber cabs starting with Mumbai on Saturday and an additional payment option Airtel money on the app. Drivers get subsidised mobile devices and data plans, the company said.

The drivers will use their existing 4G enabled handsets on iOS or Android and turn them into a WiFi hotspot. Users will just have to click on 'UberWiFi' as an option and they will be logged on to the internet.
Source: ET Auto
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 17:52   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Uber Launches a new category UberSUV in Bangalore. Helps to ensure you get a 6 seater when needed. These were already available as part of Uber Black, but you would not know if you are getting a SU/MUV until after you book.

Quote:
Today, we're thrilled to announce a new way to get around Bangalore - UberSUV. By selecting UberSUV, you are guaranteed to get a bigger vehicle that seats up to 6 people or carries more luggage. These vehicles will still be available on UberBLACK, however for a guaranteed larger vehicle - UberSUV is your friend. Sample cars include Toyota Innova, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and similar vehicles. UberSUV comes out of the same garage of vehicles as UberBLACK at the same price!
The other interesting update. For UberGo and UberX, if your trip exceeds 15km, for every additional KM, there is a per km charge of Rs 14 for Uber Go and Rs 16 for Uber X.

Quote:
Starting today, to justify partner economics, there’s a marginal change in pricing for longer distance trips. After 15 KMs, you will be charged an additional fare for every KM that your uberX and uberGO take you, as follows:
Wonder if this is to discourage airport bookings. Belandur to the Airport is 50km and ~75 minutes. Today in an UberX I would pay 40+50*8 +75= 515. With this new fare it would be 40+50*8+ 35*16 +75= 1075

This will bring it roughly in line with a regular airport taxi. Actually more expensive.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th August 2015 at 17:56.
Old 25th August 2015, 19:27   #744
Team-BHP Support

http://newsroom.uber.com/bangalore/2.../vardistfares/

This is the news article. They have jacked up the prices big big time for longer trips. Airport trips are no longer economical with Uber.

Are they discouraging long trips and forcing customers to take short trips? Not sure why. They seem to be giving more incentives to do more number of trips instead of doing one trip that takes more time.

For 50kms trip to airport, I was paying around 600 including airport toll with UberX. Now it will be 40 (base) + 15*8 (first 15kms) + 35*16 + 90 (approx time) + 120 (toll) = Rs.930.

Almost 300 bucks more now.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 19:37   #745
Team-BHP Support

Is this limited to Bangalore only ?
Old 25th August 2015, 19:52   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
http://newsroom.uber.com/bangalore/2.../vardistfares/

This is the news article. They have jacked up the prices big big time for longer trips. Airport trips are no longer economical with Uber.

Are they discouraging long trips and forcing customers to take short trips? Not sure why. They seem to be giving more incentives to do more number of trips instead of doing one trip that takes more time.
Thanks for sharing this article Viddy.
I hired an Uber to go from Banashankari 3 stage to Whitefield on Sunday (23rd August) and this is maybe a 30km trip.
The cab driver asked me to end the trip once at St. John's, next at Phoenix and finally to Whitefield. I ended up paying more than usual but this helped the driver earn some 800/- bonus and so I obliged.
So, what if we break the journey to the airport by ending the trip in the middle and booking it again and continuing? You can do that sitting in the same cab Maybe that still works out cheaper.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 25th August 2015 at 19:53.
Old 25th August 2015, 20:05   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

For 50kms trip to airport, I was paying around 600 including airport toll with UberX. Now it will be 40 (base) + 15*8 (first 15kms) + 35*16 + 90 (approx time) + 120 (toll) = Rs.930.

Almost 300 bucks more now.
Is the Rs 16 the per km rate after 15 km or an additional rate per km after 15 km. My understanding after reading the article was that the 8 rs per km will be for the full distance plus Rs 16 for every km after 15 km.

Quote:
After 15 KMs, you will be charged an additional fare for every KM that your uberX and uberGO take you
So based on your example, it would be

40+50*8 (total distance at 8 per km)+ 35*16 (excess after 15 additional charge of 16 per km) +90 +120= 1210 Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is this limited to Bangalore only ?
The email I got said Bangalore. So I assume it is for Bangalore and is a clear cut move to discourage airport drops.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th August 2015 at 20:07.
Old 25th August 2015, 20:39   #748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is the Rs 16 the per km rate after 15 km or an additional rate per km after 15 km. My understanding after reading the article was that the 8 rs per km will be for the full distance plus Rs 16 for every km after 15 km.
So based on your example, it would be

40+50*8 (total distance at 8 per km)+ 35*16 (excess after 15 additional charge of 16 per km) +90 +120= 1210 Right?
Their wordings are a little vague but I can see that they have put in bold After 15kms not for the entire trip.

The example from MG road to airport is close to that fare rather than full fare distance being at 16Rs/km.
Old 25th August 2015, 20:51   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Today in an UberX I would pay 40+50*8 +75= 515. With this new fare it would be 40+50*8+ 35*16 +75= 1075
I think it's more like 40 + (15*8) + (35*16) + 75 = 795
Old 26th August 2015, 07:53   #750
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Thanks for sharing this article Viddy.
I hired an Uber to go from Banashankari 3 stage to Whitefield on Sunday (23rd August) and this is maybe a 30km trip.
The cab driver asked me to end the trip once at St. John's, next at Phoenix and finally to Whitefield. I ended up paying more than usual but this helped the driver earn some 800/- bonus and so I obliged.
Since there is a base-fare as part of the total-fare, the effective per km charge (including base-fare and per-minute) becomes lesser and lesser as the trip distance increases. So, breaking the same journey into 3 would mean effectively more pay-out from you as compared to single journey. Of course, this is before the new development of "additional rate beyond 15 kms".

Quote:
So, what if we break the journey to the airport by ending the trip in the middle and booking it again and continuing? You can do that sitting in the same cab Maybe that still works out cheaper.
Cheers,
Deepak
Did you try this? Logically if you end a journey from inside the cab or from just outside the cab and request a new ride, the same driver would get the ride-request him being the closest to your current location. But, that's logically. In reality, does it work that way?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks