Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 11:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic Pileups & ways to avoid them

I was initially confused looking at some of the responses here ..had to read the first post again to ascertain whether this thread is about driving in the rain or is it about avoiding pileups i& crashes involving multiple vehicles

Parag has covered almost everything . I think the best way to drive is being defensive and assume everyone around you are newbies . Most of the times its worn out tires and poor understanding of the vehicle's capabilities under various conditions that lead to these pile ups .

The RVM is an important life saver in these situations . If you maintain sufficient distance ahead of you wrt the vehicle speed , even if someone is tailgating , you can try evasive manouvers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Question coming from a newbie driver. I understand that you must keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you but what can you do about the tailgating cab moron behind you with no inch to spare. Imagine a scenario with little or no space to overtake, how am I supposed to ensure that my tailgate doesn't end up crushed like a tin can?
If you do not have enough gap ahead of you , then thats your fault unless its bumper to bumper traffic. Pumpingthe brake pedal much in advance to warn the driver behind you is always helpful especially when you decide to follow traffic rules and stop on seeing an orange light .

You can also get rearended at our signals . Whenever you have stopped at a red light in the night and you realise that there isnt anyone else behind you , it always helps to 1- Keep looking at your RVM for any vehicle approaching you from behind 2- keep your foot on the brake pedal always so that your brake lights are on . At times , I have even used the hazard lights whenever I realise that the vehicle behind me isnt slowing down3- Never stop in the middle of the road , if possible on the left or on the right . But never in the middle . I would say parking on the RHS is also dangerous as most drivers on our roads like the divider and keep driving as close to it as possible . 4-Watch out on the road for other vehicles and be ready to cross the red light if you realise this vehicle may not be stopping at all

Same way when entering toll booths . I always slow down much before the toll booth and also ensure that the driver behind me is also slow . Try and avoid entering a toll lane with a truck behind you , you never know if its gonna stop

Having said all this and having considered myself an expert , the amaze got rear ended by a drunk driver in city traffic . I saw this LCV tailgating me and honking continuously as he saw this gap ahead of me which I had kept . Suddenly this car ahead of me brakes in the fast lane and I realise this LCV is going to hit me for sure . I brake and this makes that LCV driver also to brake but at the same time i let go off the brakes to use the gap ahead of me . The tempo still hits me from behind but I end up with a scratched bumper and a broken tail light . Had I not maintained a gap ahead of me , I would have needed a new front as well .

About rains or fog , driving with with parking light ( not the hazard lights )on helps as your tail lights are on and you are visible to others around you
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 16:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic Pileups & ways to avoid them

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I was initially confused looking at some of the responses here ..had to read the first post again to ascertain whether this thread is about driving in the rain or is it about avoiding pileups i& crashes involving multiple vehicles

Dear Satya
The intention of creating the thread was out of the fact that I saw a 6 car pile up on the Eastern express highway on Tuesday.

Just wanted to pen down some generic already known facts about everything, yet nothing in particular.

Correctly mentioned, Parag has compiled a mini report completing my synopsis

Last edited by Stratos : 20th June 2014 at 10:45. Reason: Corrected the Quote
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but which point exactly hasn't been discussed before in these threads -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ing-rains.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/safety/prepa...dian-road-trip

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...t-driving.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...iving-fog.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...kes-avoid.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-drivers.html

Simple rule, don't tailgate and avoid rear-ending someone. Avoid somebody else tailgating you and avoid getting rear-ended. This is the biggest contributor to any traffic pile-up, for remaining possibilities (and how to prevent them), please go through the above threads and in all likelihood, you'd find the answer.
Old 19th June 2014, 20:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The topic was pretty simple - On how pile ups happen and how bad they are when it rains.

We are discussing what are the typical reasons behind it but eventually I see that we are having discussion on almost everything!

Most of the pile ups in rains is simply because one doesn't know to operate the basic elements of a car.

Though there is no connection It also happens that those who rip their car under broad daylight literally struggle and keep their legs on Brake pedals at night.

Drivers must get accustomed to different environments!

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th June 2014 at 20:44.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 21:10   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The topic was pretty simple - On how pile ups happen and how bad they are when it rains.

We are discussing what are the typical reasons behind it but eventually I see that we are having discussion on almost everything!

Most of the pile ups in rains is simply because one doesn't know to operate the basic elements of a car.

Though there is no connection It also happens that those who rip their car under broad daylight literally struggle and keep their legs on Brake pedals at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Sorry but which point exactly hasn't been discussed before in these threads
+1 to Parag,

The topic did start focussing only on issue but it diversified into many.

Pile-up's, I feel is due to lack of common sense and blindly following the driver in front. Most of the drivers are either busy talking to co-passengers or staring at the mobile (read as WhatsApp) so the attention given to driving related activities goes down so when there is a pile-up the successive cars that contribute are all causes of panic braking.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th June 2014 at 21:11.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

@ Fine69
Exactly. There are innumerable threads already available on this topic in the forum. Yet this thread sort of summarizes the entire dos and donts.

Pls. refer to my earlier statement in the post itself:

"I suddenly wanted to pen down some thoughts on this topic though this is something which might be elementary to the motor gurus in this forum."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks