Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 01:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
It is a very incorrect notion that heavy sheet metal and strong bumper that does not deform means that a car is safe. I have nothing against manufacturers using heavy sheet metal. I love the tank like build quality of my dad's Palio.

However, we need to understand that thicker sheet metal that does not deform on impact simply means that the energy generated due to impact is being transferred to the cabin and other parts of the car.

In a relatively mild collision, like the case being discussed here, the passengers get away safely as there isn't enough impact/energy to cause damage to the cabin. But in a case of a severe collision, a car with good crumple zones will cause the entire car (except the cabin) to deform severely, channeling the impact along the sides and protecting the occupants.

However, a car designed with crumple zones will crumple even in a minor collision and will thus give a feeling that poor sheet metal is used.

I am not implying that cars using heavy sheet metal do not have good crumple zones. A car with heavy metal and good crumple zones is a bonus. e.g. Polo. The only point I am trying to make is that a polo with good sheet metal will look bad if it collides with an old Ambassador as it will crumple along the crumple zones to reduce/ prevent impact of collision from getting into the cabin.
I wouldn't totally agree with you on this.

Thicker sheets does mean a slightly safer car at lower speeds.

Today I saw a small Toyota Liva rear end a mighty SUV 500. The XUV didn't take too much damage, other than a couple of marks on the rear bumper and the boot door having an average ding there wasn't any other damage.

Now the interesting thing, The Liva took the hir pretty well! The front bumper was misaligned a bit but absolutely zilch damage to the Hood or any doors etc.
Old 1st August 2014, 18:47   #62
BHPian

Alto back home!
So I claimed the insurance and got the work done. The work done by C.G Motors (Rabale, Navi Mumbai) is amazing. They carry on accidental damage works on every brand except Toyota. I would recommend it to people staying nearby.
The wheel arch was deformed slightly and no damage to suspension at all. The hatch door was fully painted which cured even some rusting that was taking place. The car looks factory finished. No paint mismatch at all.

The breakup of the invioce

Bumper (black) : 1155.56
Bumper holder : 52.44
Monogram(Maruti Suzuki) : 92.89
Monogram(Alto K10) : 119.11
Monogram(Vxi) : 28.44
Consumables : 125.00

Labour
Denting labour : 1655
Painting labour : 3400

Total Amount : 7450.00

The insurance was not cashless so had to pay the complete amount at first. The amount sanctioned will be reimbursed in the bank account soon. No idea how long will it take because, New India Assurance. I am very happy with the work done
Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results-img_20140801_145947171_hdr.jpg
chinmaybaikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 19:29   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats , your car looks as good as new. The work done is neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
The breakup of the invioce
You missed out on the Team Bhp sticker Set! You lost your IDS and LTD stickers so add rs 325 more to the costings!!
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 20:34   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Congrats , your car looks as good as new. The work done is neat.

You missed out on the Team Bhp sticker Set! You lost your IDS and LTD stickers so add rs 325 more to the costings!!
Yeah I am very happy with the work. The workshop guys are very friendly and happy to help. I preserved the LTD sticker though. Will paste the Gbhp sticker on the hatch door I guess.
Old 1st August 2014, 20:54   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
They carry on accidental damage works on every brand except Toyota.
Any idea as to why? Something to do with paint?

Quote:
No idea how long will it take because, New India Assurance. I am very happy with the work done
Well, in my case, I got reimbursed when I went to pay for my renewal. But, it was back in 2004.
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:34   #66
BHPian

Congratulations on getting the car back. A neat work done.

Please do follow up with the insurance agent for the reimbursement.

Drive safe.
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any idea as to why? Something to do with paint?
The supervisor said its because Toyota has no counter sales, so they find it difficult to find the spares and panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations on getting the car back. A neat work done.
Please do follow up with the insurance agent
Thank you. And sure I will follow up.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:23   #68
BHPian

Got reimbursed quickly Received an amount of Rs.4850. But facing a problem now. The fuel indicator isn't showing any indication. Can it get repaired under extended warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results-1408081997598.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks