Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
Solo trip 73 48.67%
Group ride/ drive 77 51.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)

Very hard to pick favourites. Have both solo and group drives.

1. Delhi - Trivandrum - Delhi (solo drive - Swift)
2. Delhi - Leh - Delhi (solo drive - Swift)
3. Delhi - Leh - Siachen Base Camp - Hanle - Chumur - Karzok - Manali - Delhi (Group drive, friends: Gypsy and Thar).
codelust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 23:26   #17
BHPian

Road trips are great fun - period !

I have been on two long road trips in the last 7 months; did Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Udaipur - Mumbai in Dec last year with my wife and Mumbai - Pune - Mysore - Coorg - Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai last month with my wife for the first half and our daughters joined us in Coorg.

Have also done Mumbai - Goa with friends/family in the past.

I guess each road trip is unique as you encounter different circumstances, places & incidents every time. The important thing is to do adequate planning and prepare the car for the trip. This itself is half the fun.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 10:59   #18
BHPian

For me the best trips have been with my better half.
Two of the most memorable ones have to be
1. Delhi-Pittoragarh-Patalbhubhaneshwar-Almora-Nainital-Delhi in my Chevy Spark. First time drove in the night in the mountains and it was an awesome experience.
2. The awesome road trip on rented Honda Baja in Sri Lanka. The places covered were Colombo-Nuwara Eliya-Udawalawe-Galle-Wadduwa-Negombo.
arsenal.arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:15   #19
BHPian

Best road trip has always been solo (me or me with wifey and kid), be it Bangalore-GOA or Pondy. I have traveled in groups the last trip being a ride to Horsley hills, somehow the journey took too much of time. Had to wait till the entire wolfpack joins in at each halt. Am one person who cannot wait and listen to lame excuses given out by friends and its difficult to tell them to speed up or speed down.
Ikoner_03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 16:09   #20

The best road trips are Solo. The drive, the music, the air makes you a different (hopefully better) person at the end of the journey. I love road trips with my family as well, as I'm always behind the wheel. Though they ask for too many stops on the way, for tea/food etc., I love it when they've all slept off and I'm driving down straight roads covered with trees along the countryside. Even at stops I love to clean my car, just look and admire it from all angles for how far it has bought me, while my folks sip their tea, totally unaware of the kind of unnatural love I'm feeling for my car at that time. :P
Though we've taken numerous trips and covered more than a dozen hill stations in North India, I can't forget the 1300km/2day trip we took from Delhi to Uttaranchal a few years ago. Bliss!

With friends, though you are expected to have much more fun, you have to forcefully give way to the drivers seat as most of my friends are enthusiasts too. The German car fans and fanatics of Airbags and ABSs don't ever dare to drive my WagonR though.
Magemegento is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 17:10   #21
BHPian

Mod Note: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

For me

The machine: Skoda Fabia 1.6 Fully loaded

The men:5 Packed to the brim with luggage

The tarmac: Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Goa-Mumbai

The Time : December 2012

Apparently, it was one of the longest and the craziest trips i've ever had.
Best time ever

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th July 2014 at 21:14.
Raulspace999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 20:37   #22
BHPian

Bike trips with two or three people riding solo are the best for me,
I have been to places in Maharashtra on my Vespa.

The best roads i have come across are
1.Mumbai-Lavassa
2.Mumbai-Daman
3.Mumbai-Nashik

My dream trip is Mumbai-Goa via NH-17 on my Vespa after some upgrades.
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

The best drive I've had was with family in October 2011. From Delhi to Munsiyari. I loved the drive on the 2nd day - driving from Almora to Munsiyari - through virgin forests, single laned roads , clear blue skies, the smell of pine, gushing waterfalls and tumbling brooks!
Not to mention sumptuous local Kumaoni fare to take care of the body!

And as words can never replace pictures - here's the mood through the lens

Clicking a Waterfall on the way
Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)-0620_d90_2011100316h19m48.jpg

Sudden Clouds hang over Munsiyari
Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)-0640_coolpix-s3000_2011100316h54m26.jpg

Last edited by joybhowmik : 16th July 2014 at 22:41.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 13:15   #24
BHPian

One of the best road trips I ever had was Bangalore-Coorg drive in a self-driven, rented Figo with my wife. Though I have a 2000-model WagonR, I didn't want to use it for the trip simply because of its poor handling in highways. So we ended up booking a self-driven rented Figo.

The most memorable part of the trip was the scenic drive through the Coorg roads and it was drizzling most of the time thus enhancing the beauty of the already beautiful scenery around us.

That said, my all-time-favorite road trip would still be the one on bikes with my friends during monsoon in Pune where we drove around the Western ghats while it was drizzling and then rounded up the trip with a serving of the hot wada-pavs along with a cup of piping hot tea. No other road trip has matched that experience yet.
Car-go-man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 13:56   #25
BHPian

My best solo road trip was in Esteem VXI from Chennai to Bangalore via Hosur. Left Chennai around 7:00 pm and reached Whitefiled by 11:00pm. This is the fastest I have ever done the Chennai - Bangalore stretch. I have done this stretch solo most of the times but one of the memorable ones was when I had my girls with me in the Tavera, one person to every row! On the way back there was a big traffic jam near Shoolagiri and all of us were sitting in the car for almost a couple of hours. The Tavera was the girls favorite car, but I had to give it back as it was a company car!

The best group trip was a trip to Dandeli with wifey in a Gypsy. Bangalore - Shimoga - Sirsi - Jog Falls - Anshi National Park - Dandeli - Ganeshgudi - Supa - Belguam - Hubli - Bangalore. Of course there were a lot of other company sponsored group rides etc.
tatsago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 14:11   #26
BHPian

A road trip to Bhutan during the Puja Holidays last year along with my wife and son as well as my schoolmate and his family ranks high on my list.
Attached Thumbnails
Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)-wp_20131014_011.jpg  

Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 14:41   #27
BHPian

Last week / Hyd-BLR-Hyd / KTM Duke 390 / 6 hrs one way / Solo / Period.
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:45   #28
BHPian

Memorable trip of my lifetime was Bangalore - Delhi - Bangalore roadtrip (me, wifey, ritz and lots of luggage) covering 5555 kms point to point via 2 different routes in March this year.

So many states, each one has its own charm.
OneToughRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 00:16   #29
BHPian

This was my first road trip. It was also our honeymoon. It has to be the best road trip so far.

I had decided long back that the trip has to be done in my 12 year old Tata Sierra.

This was in 2006, when money was short to come by and I was still studying. Budget was fixed at 25k. This included the fuel, hotel booking, food and also getting the Sierra ready to go.

I still remember I spent 3k getting the car checked, got alignment done, gas charged in AC.

The route decided was BANGALORE -MYSORE- BANDIPUR- OOTY- KODAI- THRISSUR

We took the 36 hair pin bend route to OOTY. Boy oh boy, my sierra hushed and puffed on the first bend itself. I thought where the hell did i land. Somehow we managed to reach the top. That journey to the top was undoubtedly a nerve wrecking experience. The coolant was boiling in the radiator and I like a fool opened it. Luckily it never spilled onto me. It was a narrow escape.

I have done many trips by road, but this trip weighs in gold.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 15:24   #30
BHPian

I guess it would have to be the 'Mumbai - Udaipur - Delhi - Mashobra and back' trip with the wife. Close second would be the solo drive from Mumbai to Bangalore and back, for the Metallica concert
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed