Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
Solo trip 73 48.67%
Group ride/ drive 77 51.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)

Which is the best road trip you have ever had? What was your ride and how many jokers did you have for company?

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 10th July 2014 at 13:17.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)

I prefer a road trip with wifey and kiddy.

It multiplies the fun many times and luckily for me, both wifey and my little 02 year old are all up for a nice drive !!
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Undoubtedly Jaisalmer last august.
Two jokers-me and a friend-, and our wives.
It was a tremndous drive, exploring the rajasthan highways, especially scary being the drive from pokran onwards, carpet smooth arrow straight road with water washing over it, thousands of cows, and no lights whatsoever!!

For the best drive, howver, mussoorie to dhanaulti 30 km stretch in a fiesta, same jokers and associates in attendance.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:21   #4
BHPian

Your best road trip.

The best road trips are undoubtedly with family . The most fun one was - bhopal - jaipur - ajmer - pushkar - chittorgarh - indore - bhopal with my sister on my swift.
Another one which requires a special mention is the 7200 kms road trip from bhopal to kerala and back with my mom and dad on our polo ..

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by lone_driver : 10th July 2014 at 13:23.
lone_driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Every time I am behind the wheel, its pure fun time for me.
The best trip till date was Bhopal - Gir( Gujarat ) with mom and dad, where we saw fantastic wildlife. Also visited the Somnath temple which is one of the best temples I have seen till date. The condition of roads was really bad in M.P. but our dear Cedia's comfy suspension setup made things better.
Apart from that visited Pachmarhi a few months back with friends, although the distance wasn't much but since it was with friends so it was absolutely fun.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been on some many rides across Europe and the USA it's difficult to choosse.

One very memorable was a drive, organised by Autovisie, a Dutch car magazine. We drove six open top sports cars to the artic circle and back again, top down all the way. Temperatures were as low as -27oC.

We left from Amsterdam, into Germany, across on the ferry to Sweden, into Norway, into the artic circle and back again. On the way back we took the bridge between Sweden and Denmark rather then the ferry.

Although very cold, we very lucky with the weather. Except for the first two days when we had severe snow storms all the way up to Oslo, Norway, the remaining 7 days were beautifull with clear dark blue skies.

Three classic Alfa Romeo Spiders, one MGF, one Porsche Boxter and a Saab. And one support vehicle. So seven cars in total, about 15 people in all, including one reporter and one photographer from Autovisie magazine

Remarkably the three old Alfa's gave us less problems on this, very cold, trip then the modern cars!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Its feels great to read each of the comments recounting the nostalgic memories.
Haven't had the chance to go tripping with family till now, but surely in the near future when I get my SUV

My most memorable trip was my first long distance trip - the Spiti ride with 10 other jokers. Was riding an Apache, surrounded by REs. Lots of masti, lots of punctures....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It was a tremndous drive, exploring the rajasthan highways, especially scary being the drive from pokran onwards, carpet smooth arrow straight road with water washing over it, thousands of cows, and no lights whatsoever!!

For the best drive, howver, mussoorie to dhanaulti 30 km stretch in a fiesta, same jokers and associates in attendance.
Remember the stories you shared of Pokhran in our meets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
................. We drove six open top sports cars to the artic circle and back again, top down all the way. Temperatures were as low as -27oC.
My....thats some adventure !!

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 10th July 2014 at 13:53.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been always the group ride that I enjoyed most. I often travel with my family - wifey and two kids but the one I took earlier this year tops the list. Here is the trip log.

The second best ride - I took it just last week. It is documented here.

I have done many solo rides from Bangalore to Goa and Bangalore to Kolhapur as well but nothing beats the above two followed by rest.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Its very difficult to say which one was my best. Every trip has its own charm. Still i can list few of my memorable road trips.

1) Bangalore - Mangalore- Udupi - Mangalore- Bangalore in a Honda Unicorn. 904 kms.

2) Bangalore- Ooty - Dodbetta- Conoor - Bangalore in 18 Hours on a Karizma R. 632kms

3) Bangalore to Yercaud the 1st 500 kms one day trip in my 1st car at Bangalore back in 2008 a maruti Alto Lx. 543kms.

4) Bangalore- Jogfalls- Murdeshwar- Gokarna- Karwar - Bangalore in one night two days in a Maruti Alto. 1230 kms

5) This one was a bit funny or careless from my side. We had a week end plan for Goa from Bangalore in my Alto. But on Friday evening a job interview was assigned to me on the last moment. I was pissed off. Still i went for the interview and some how luck was with me and i cracked the interview. It was already 8pm and the HR asked me to wait for an hour and collect the offer letter. But my mind was on the beaches of Goa. I lied her stating some one close is very ill so i have to take her to Vellore and i have to catch the night bus. So i will leave early and return back on Monday morning and on my joining date i will collect my offer later and she agreed! Voila! So by 9pm i was back home and by 10pm we started for Goa from Bangalore. The drive was like Bangalore- Belgaum- Swantwadi- Amboli- Panjim- Donapaola - St xaviers church- Aguada Fort- Baga Beach then take a hotel near Condolim beach and enjoy the sunset and again visit the hill top of Aguada fort in evening! Next day morning visit Vagator beach then drive to south Goa to visit Colva beach and return to Bangalore via Karwar- Hubli- Chitradurga. Reached Bangalore on Monday 5am and left for office at 7am! It was a 1519kms trip in such short span.

6) Again in a week end due to lack of time i and my Bhpian friend Aritraray did a road trip to Kerela in a Jiffy. Aritra called me at 2-30 pm on Friday asking whether any road trip was possible that week end. By 4-30pm we left for Munnar! Drove whole night next day morning we visited Munnar followed by Alleppey and next day morning visited Cochi and were back to Bangalore by midnight. Again a 1432kms trip in 2 days in my Alto.

7) Kolkata to Puri in a 10 years old Fiat Uno with a weak clutch plate and few more mechanical glitches. But the car successfully completed the 1273kms trip without any hiccups.

8) And lastly how can i forget my first drive to the Himalaya's in our Toyota Etios! It was Kolkata-Siliguri- Darjeeling- Peeling- Holong- Siliguri- Kolkata. 1816kms in 9 days.

The first 6 were with friends and the last two mentioned were with my family.

I note down all my road trips in MS word. Till date i have 55 long rides and 93 long drives. The 8 i shared above were the most memorable till date. These were all self driven apart from these i don't have a count for the family road trips where my dad or our driver drove our car when i was a kid.

Oh yes after all its LIVE TO DRIVE...!

Last edited by Samba : 10th July 2014 at 15:04.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like others have mentioned, each one has its own charm.

1. Bangalore to Mysore - This was the first drive with my wife.
2. Bangalore - Hyderabad - Again, first long drive with wife and Mom. My mom sat at the middle of the back seat and kept observing the speedometer just to ensure I don't over speed. I used her nap times to indulge in speeds above 80.
3. Bangalore to Goa
4. Bangalore to Vijayawada
5. Bangalore to Waynad - This was with a group of friends and family, thoroghly enjoyed it
6. Bangalore to Munnar - The first long vacation after our son was born. Beautiful location and awesome drive.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:08   #11
BHPian

The best one was way back in 1992. Five of us in three bikes; my RD350, an Yezdi and a Bullet.

We took the bikes from Chennai to Delhi by train and from there it was to Rishikesh - Govind Ghat(Valley of Flowers) - Badrinath - Rishikesh - Lansdowne - Rishikesh to Delhi.

The rides in the mountains were the most memorable, exhilarating and sort of meditative.

I had done almost 85K Km in the RD 350, but none of the trips could match above.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 20:00   #12
BHPian

Re: Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)

Nothing beats a solo driving trip I did from Kolkata to Sikkim 8 years back in an Alto. Broken highways, landslides on the hill roads, scary reversing maneauvers on narrow hill roads with noone to look over the other window, some amazing views, monasteries, suspicious hotel managers who questioned why I was traveling alone.... the trip had it all.. and more...
Being alone in the car over long stretches of highways builds a special bond, between the car, the road and you.. A strange sense of harmony prevails, and i never felt lonely...
my vote goes to solo trips!!!!
KrishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 22:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Of the umpteen roadtrips I've had, all have been with my wife. Once I tried a group roadtrip (just a couple of months back) and it turned out to be a disaster, I even posted about it.

The adventure / romance quotient of a roadtrip with my wife is such that I would never ever want to take another roadtrip with a group again.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 04:05   #14
BHPian

I agree with the fact that each road trip has its own charm. However, the roadtrip I did from Manali to Leh on Royal Enfield bikes with 10 other classmates was something else. We started off with 6 bikes and a support vehicle (Scorpio). However, we reached Leh with only 3 bikes making it all the way. The other 3 bikes broke down (2 at Rohtang itself and one more at Tanglang la) and the axle of the Scorpio too gave way at Sarchu. The last 100 kms was done with 3 people on one of the bikes (with no luggage on it of course). We lost communication with 3 of our friends who were on the support vehicle for 24 hours since their car had broken down. To add to all of it, the insane weather conditions on this stretch during the early days in the month of June was mindblowing.

This has to be the best road trip of my life. It is always special when you do it with your college friends. An experience to remember.
gubbi555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 11:06   #15
BANNED

I love groups trips, but only in car, when im on bike though, its a different story.

Best solo bike trip - Bokaro - Angul. Took my bike from hometown, an apache 160 RTR, and hit the road, with no directions whatsoever, bad highways and no signboards meant i was pretty lost, but managed it fine. 600kms in some 9 hours. Had way more fun than i expected.

Best Solo trip in car, was Route 500 in germany, towards black forest. I had plans to rent a car and hit "The Ring", but my meager savings didnt allow me to. so, after some searching on the net, found this route. I was staying at Stuttgart, and it was close. Rented a Audi A3, and hit it. One of the best trails, no traffic, beautiful off camber corners and mind blowing scenic beauty.

Best group Trip, a friends wedding in hydrebad, so off we go, from Angul, 3 jokers and a Batman in a Xylo. Angul - Raipur - Nagpur - Adilabad - Hydrebad. Now since we were here, why not Go Goa?, so again we leave, Hydrebad - Raichur - Dharwad - Goa. The most fun trip i ever had. Included Sleeping in the car at a dhaba.

Most Awkward Trip - Hazaribagh to Sikkim in a indigo with my Ex-Gf and her Parents!

Now waiting for Leh Trip.
racerdabba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks