Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 14:56   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
There was a traffic cop stationed and he signaled me to drive over. Next moment, he came in front of the car and started confronting me for breaking signal. Can you even imagine this?
It would have been really interesting to watch his reaction if he was shown a video of him actually waving you to go and then trying to fine you.

Dashcams have their uses!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 04:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
They took my licence and RC. Now i am planning to take the same forward and discuss the same with traffic commissioner and others. If i have violated a rule, i am more than happy to pay the fines. But, without violating any rules, i really do not understand why i am asked to pay the fines. On what basis these guys behave this way?
Any updates on the above incident? Did you meet the concerned officer? Is your original DL and RC still with the Traffic Police?
Old 6th October 2014, 15:06   #48
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Any updates on the above incident? Did you meet the concerned officer? Is your original DL and RC still with the Traffic Police?
Yes. They are with them. I have lodged a complaint, but am not getting any updates on this. So. Waiting.

Old 7th October 2014, 01:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. They are with them. I have lodged a complaint, but am not getting any updates on this. So. Waiting.
Its more than two months and you still haven't received any respose from the traffic police? Very shocking indeed. All this while you were behind them? Did they ever contact you on their own?
Old 7th October 2014, 13:53   #50
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Its more than two months and you still haven't received any respose from the traffic police? Very shocking indeed. All this while you were behind them? Did they ever contact you on their own?
Nope. I just gave a written complaint. And no response from their side.
I visited them recently, their higher officials were a bit busy, so had to come back. Also, there were many public holidays recently, so had to try my luck next week.

Old 12th November 2014, 18:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I visited them recently, their higher officials were a bit busy, so had to come back. Also, there were many public holidays recently, so had to try my luck next week.
Hope the issue is resolved gemi_kk. Today while browsing through Hyderabad Traffic Police Facebook page, I came across the following post.

Quote:
Who can issue you a Spot Challan for Traffic Violations?

Only traffic officers of the rank of sub-inspector and above have the powers to impose fines.The Rank below SI can only click the vehicle photograph or detain it for any violation until a SI comes. Also,If you are charged falsely, accept the slip. Note the name and rank of the officer, give a written complaint with all the details at Asst Commissioner of Police, Admn, Traffic Branch, Police Control Room, Opp: Public Garden, Nampally, Hyderabad, India

Any police officer in uniform including Law and Order Police personals above the rank of Sub Inspector of police can impose fine. Any police officer in uniform can check the documents. In fact the Traffic police are not different from general police (Law and Order Police). Just for the sake of traffic maintainance the force has been bifurcated and white shirt has been given for identification. Otherwise all the police comes under the Andhra Pradesh Police.

Officers are authorized to check for necessary documents in order to enforce rules. If you think you are carrying all the documents and still are being harassed post that, please note the name and rank of the officer, forward a complaint with all the details here or report a complaint at Traffic Complaint Number: +91-9010203626. Admin..SK
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I had to experience or rather be a victim of traffic police cheating.

I was normally coming to office. There is an area (Uppal X roads in Hyderabad) where Metro construction is going on and there is some 50-70 mts of Traffic jam. Pillars are located in the middle of the road, and the area near by pillars doesn’t have any road because of the construction happened.

Seeing the huge traffic, i took a right and went through the sand road. This will be the right lane, if Tar has been put on the road. I haven’t violated any rules. I didn’t ram into any vehicle.

Just after crossing 20 mts or so, Traffic police stops my vehicle. Demands for licence which i duly show. Now he wants me to pay a fine of 1000 for Rash driving. I ask why? For which he doesn’t have any answer.

The argument went on for 1 hour or so. Trust me. I haven’t got any explanation other than rash driving. I really do not understand how one could do a rash driving in a traffic jam. If i take a dirt road on the right, which is officially the fast lane, how come i have violated the rules?

They write a challan and ask me to sign on the same. I duly rejected it. They wrote, “refusing to sign” and later, i was taken to Police station. I really do not understand why Police station came into picture. I should have been taken to Traffic police station, if i have violated any rules.

They started threatening that they will tow my vehicle away and damage the complete front part. Today i am Mad. I am hell MAD.

I argue the same with the CI of the Police station. He hasn’t said anything. Neither he complained about my driving. He understood the scenario. He didn’t say anything. I was actually surprised. But the Traffic police who is the culprit started saying, “He should pay fine for Rash driving”

They took my licence and RC. Now i am planning to take the same forward and discuss the same with traffic commissioner and others. If i have violated a rule, i am more than happy to pay the fines. But, without violating any rules, i really do not understand why i am asked to pay the fines. On what basis these guys behave this way?

I have been in the assumption that one who is hard working, good, talented or so will try to leave this country because many of them are unfit to make a living here. Now, I feel my name should be added to that list too. I know what my thoughts are wrong, but the system in India are pathetic. My Blood is pumping like anything. My brain stopped working because of the idiocy shown by government officials
No doubt we have incidents where low level policemen try to earn extra income by invoking baseless charges and by threatening people of higher fines, vehicle confiscation etc. In your case, the threats to damage your vehicle and the foul language were uncalled for and must be reported to higher authorities as you have done.

However, in this incident, you were wrong in driving on an unpaved or under construction area- that is rash driving. You have yourself mentioned that the road was unpaved and thus it was obviously not meant for driving unless that was the only area available. Other people were waiting their turn in the traffic jam but you decided to cut around them and drive off the paved road. If everyone did this, it would lead to total chaos. People would end up driving on shoulders, entering blockaded areas and in adjoining fields. Yes, all this happens regularly in India but that doesn't change the fact that it is against the law. Traffic police have a hard job trying to keep the disorder under some semblance of control. They behave to deal with non compliance and arguments from most offenders who believe that they are above the law and try to threaten the policeman doing his duty. Issuing one citation can take half an hour rather than 5 minutes due to such arguments.

If this had happened in the US, you would have been arrested for not obeying the policeman and would have spent a night in jail followed by charges like resisting arrest and so on. Police behave highhanded in all nations as they have the power and it is easy to let it get to your head. In this case, I wish you the best of luck in getting your documents back and in having your complaint heard as the manner in which you were treated and the threats made against you are deplorable. Accepting your responsibility in this episode might help in the resolution of this matter.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:

It's been too long since you updated this thread. Can you please update the status of the case?

Edit: Just noticed the status of OP's membership (Awaiting Email Confirmation). I think it takes some more time for him to respond.

Last edited by JoseVijay : 23rd December 2014 at 12:13.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:35   #54
BHPian

Guys,

Just to inform you that in the event, without any fault or offence, if traffic police issues a challan or seizes any of your document or car then you can always challenge such actions of traffic police before the Court of Law. Most of us avoid approaching Courts for such illegal actions and hence the cops get encouraged to harass more and more people on the roads.

In case cops seizes your car papers or driving license, etc. then ask for "Seizure List". Before Court it will be very difficult for the prosecution to prove you guilty as there are no eye witness for cops and complainant (traffic cop) himself is the eye witness and deemed to be "hostile witness". Once you win said case under MV Act then file a defamation and damages suit against the cop who specifically harassed you. Let them face some harassment also.

Amyth78
amyth78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 15:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyth78 View Post
Guys,

Just to inform you that in the event, without any fault or offence, if traffic police issues a challan or seizes any of your document or car then you can always challenge such actions of traffic police before the Court of Law. Most of us avoid approaching Courts for such illegal actions and hence the cops get encouraged to harass more and more people on the roads.

Amyth78
That is a good piece of advice.
I m thinking to use this [ on a similar case] though I am not very keen. This would be kind of last resort !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks