Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 00:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars with only one person not allowed in Calicut(Kerala) during festive season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
On the road from san diego to LA I noticed that there was a dedicated lane you could take only if you were driving with a passenger. I was surprised how many people could not use the lane. I wish we could plan and implement something like that.
Its called a car pool lane and can be seen in many cities (like Seattle). Intention is to encourage and provide incentive to people to start car pooling. Sadly, like you observed its mostly empty while the other lanes adjacent are gridlocked
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 00:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars with only one person not allowed in Calicut(Kerala) during festive season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agree with you. But, we also need to consider that the city being discussed here has no metro, no Volvo buses etc. Travelling by public transport is not exactly a pleasant experience.
Usually, women find it difficult to travel using public transport. In case of Calicut (Kozhikkode), I've heard this is applicable to men as well. Anyone from Kozhikkode can confirm?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 00:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Usually, women find it difficult to travel using public transport. In case of Calicut (Kozhikkode), I've heard this is applicable to men as well. Anyone from Kozhikkode can confirm?
Now we are going way OT

During the year 2000, I had been in Calicut for a month for my engineering studies. One late evening while waiting for bus, I was approached by a not-so-busy-with-work policeman manning the bus stop, asking me politely/softly if I join him home; just like that!
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 09:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

So Kerala looks like joining the bandwagon for atrocious rules or imposing those. If I am in Calicut and I go for some heavy shopping, I need to take more members in the car? And how exactly does this "forced member addition" again help? Anyone can work around this rule by just getting a kid to tag along. The whole idea is so illogical.

Instead of bettering the infra structure, what all non-sense ideas do they get!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th September 2014 at 09:24.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:37   #20
BHPian

WOW !!! Way to Go,

First they kill your weekend by making it Dry, and now they force you to take your wife & Kids for shopping

Now it all begins to make sense, the revenue loss due to the closure of bars can be compensated by converting all bars to Family centers (aka shopping malls).

Endhu parayan !! Deivathinde Swandham Naadu, Pakshe Cheguthaan Vaazhunnu

(Translation : God's own Country, But the Devil rules roost)

Disclaimer:
The above post was meant to be a satire and not to rub salt in the wounds of my poor battered & bruised Malayali brethren living in Kerala

Cheers!!
kutoos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 09:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

As Ajay pointed out, this is just a request rather than a rule. They just cant impose a rule all of a sudden. There's a procedure behind it. So another request that will be ignored by the public and which will go down the drain.

What's the next rule - Congestion charge?

Last edited by naveen.raju : 5th September 2014 at 09:48.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:51   #22
BHPian

The english version: http://kaumudiglobal.com/innerpage1.php?newsid=54712

Though this is an impractical solution, there are not many avenues left to improve the traffic situation within the city without demolishing the existing buildings.

Comparatively the roads to & from the city have really improved in the last few years, unruly traffic withstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Anyone from Kozhikode can confirm?
Was the same even 2 decades back
Old 5th September 2014, 09:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As Ajay pointed out, this is just a request rather than a rule.
Yes, it is only a suggestion/request from the police. ADGP has clarified it and is in today's mathrubhumi daily.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/kozhikode...kozhikode.html

The link says, The Police Commissioner gave an opinion while being asked about the traffic bottlenecks in the city. But ADGP clarified that such a regulation has not been implemented.
Edwardanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:23   #24
BHPian

As is in everything in India, arbitrary rules are imposed by those who are least qualified to form the rules. The new rules seem to be formed based on the whims & fancies of some Babu.

I really wish we had an organization like ACLU in India. Some intellectual discipline needs to come when such regulations are formed. This rule is one egregious example.
Old 5th September 2014, 13:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

re: Cars with 1 person not allowed in Calicut (Kerala) during festive season!

Mod note: Thread moved to Street and Travel Experiences.
Old 5th September 2014, 22:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agree with you. But, we also need to consider that the city being discussed here has no metro, no Volvo buses etc. Travelling by public transport is not exactly a pleasant experience.

And talking about roads- narrow, pothole filled and divider-less two lanes roads are the norm. Riding a two wheeler is fine, but not exactly good from the safety angle.

Kerala needs to scale up its infrastructure drastically before implementing all such laws.

Sad reality is - it's dangerous and tiring to travel 50 kms on kerala roads on a 2 wheeler, while you can easily do it in some of the neighbouring states.
Yes I understand the alternatives are not great. But Its supposed to encourage people to car pool or take a rick/cab and the net result will be less traffic jams
Old 6th September 2014, 09:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardanto View Post
Yes, it is only a suggestion/request from the police.

But ADGP clarified that such a regulation has not been implemented.
Today's malayalam daily had a small report on it. I understand from the report that the public followed the restriction and avoided solo driving, rather than the restriction being enforced physically.

And the Dy. Commissioner of Transport has been quoted saying that there is no restriction for imposing such a rule, as the District Collector can pass one.

Anybody from Calicut with more info?
Old 7th September 2014, 12:41   #28
BHPian

I'm from calicut. Heard from people around that it's more of a request asking to take public transport or an auto and there wouldn't be any restriction inside the city. There might be some checks at various entrances to the city like Feroke, West Hill, Kunnamangalam etc.
Had taken my car out to pick some relatives from one end of the city and drop them at another and then had gone to the city in the evening to meet some friends. Was the sole person in the car most of the time and had gone through the city and the 'entrance points'. Neither was I stopped, nor did I see anyone being stopped. Did see a few vehicles that had just one person in them, but generally lesser than what I'm used to seeing. Traffic was as usual with understandable delays at bad stretches.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks