Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 12:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach

This is insane. Nobody bothered to check whether the waves were hitting the car?! On a lighter note, the car might have thought, "Why should they have all the fun! Let me too".

I had seen something similar couple of years back in a beach near Nellore. And that was my friend's Innova. The mistake he did was stopping for ~30 seconds to click a pic. And then I saw the car slightly moving into the sea with every tide.

Took some 15 coastal guys with long planks and around 30 mins to get it back; and another 3K money! Heard the locals saying that those planks were kept ONLY for such rescue purposes (on a regular basis). I was in my Swift and some locals showed me till where I can take the car and advised me NOT to park it beyond; which I gratefully obliged.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th September 2014 at 12:37.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The Bull power actually saved him and this car. (Two bulls actually directly linked to car hook)
At least they didn't have the cart to deal with. Besides, different situations need different amount torque. Ask any offroader, we deal with all kind of stuck situations.

Quote:
The point is that the bull is like a DC series motor. Humungous torque at zero RPM.
But without any gearing, which makes a huge difference.

Quote:
The car engine will have extremely puny torque and even then it would be spinning at 800 rpm - enough rev speed to make the tyres slip.
Tyres slip due to lack of traction, not due to rpm. That puny torque when multiplied by gear ratio and axle ratio, can do wonders. That is why offroad vehicles have a low ratio that multiplies the regular torque by nearly 2.5 times.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What! Parked the car on the beach like that and went for a swim?

If there were a group of anti-BHP'ians, I'm sure this guy would qualify.

To think, I would make sure thrice when parking the car in a shopping mall!
+1 to it. I would think ten thousand times to decide which car I should take to the beach and park it on the road there. Even if I did, I would ensure the next day I wash it down completely to get rid of the effects of the salt.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Diveagar Beach is a very hard sand beach and its really fun to drive a car on the hard sand surface. However, one should not park their car close to the sea water as high tides can take a toll on the car.
I have been to Diveagar beach multiple times. At low tide, the sea is quite far (maybe couple of kms at least) and the entire stretch of beach is like a huge playground. Due to the soft nature of sand, the beach feels very hard. In fact, we have played cricket in this beach using tennis ball with a real good bounce. Many people will be tempted to drive or park their vehicle on the beach.
But that is where the deception lies ... you need to note that even before the sea water reaches the tide line, the water tends to percolate from underside causing the beach sand to become soft and slushy. That is when the car would have slowly "settled" in the sand. Once the sand becomes wet, you won't be able to do anything to get it out.
Feel real bad for the car owner. Though it is a Maruti, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is not damaged much.
sukhoi30 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 15:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I---Due to the soft nature of sand, the beach feels very hard. In fact, we have played cricket in this beach using tennis ball with a real good bounce. Many people will be tempted to drive or park their vehicle on the beach.
But that is where the deception lies ... you need to note that even before the sea water reaches the tide line, the water tends to percolate from underside causing the beach sand to become soft and slushy. That is when the car would have slowly "settled" in the sand. Once the sand becomes wet, you won't be able to do anything to get it out. ---
My thoughts exactly. During my trip to Mandarmani beach in July, I found the beach to be just like you mention above. One can easily play cricket with a tennis ball. Making that mistake, we parked a bike for taking a picture on the beach and just then a tide reached the bike. The hard surface turned soft and unfortunately the bike fell!

The bottomline is that the hard beach surface is deceiving. The surface will be washed away easily by a tide.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very reminiscent of Jeremy Clarkson's attempt to kill a Toyota Hilux by submerging it for four hours in the sea
For those who missed it, and the surprise at the end of it... not to worry!
Here's that indestructible beast (series 3, episode 5, Top Gear)
joybhowmik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:48   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach

Nothing compared to this Q3 swimming in Gujarat

Source Post

And yes, we do have a thread on beach driving : link.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2014 at 17:22. Reason: It's a Q3, not Q7 :). My bad
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Joy

The Hilux seems indestructible.What ever you do, the car just refuses to die!!

@Rush
How could someone be so casual in dealing with a car costing almost 1 cr??

Exactly fits the saying " Paani ke jaisa paisa bahana"(Wasting your wad of cash like flowing water!!) ;-)
Old 8th September 2014, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Its a good reminder not to trust the sea water. Specially when we go without information on weather conditions.
As many of us have already mentioned, how deceiving the sandy beach can be.Stopping there for a long time is unthinkable. From my experience I can say that sandy beach offers a great playground for drifters. While out there, on the beach use the handbrake for added fun
Old 8th September 2014, 14:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I expect this car to be in OLX or Quikr classifieds in the next 2 or 3 months!
, But it doesnt look that bad, it seems that only half the wheel has been submerged.
I remember that once I was riding a state highway (the narrow single lane ones) and it was raining, at one particular place water was flowing across the road and I had to cross this 12 m section or go all the way back around for nearly 75km. I saw a Sumo crossing it from the other side and decided to follow the path taken by the Sumo in my Amaze. Nearly half of the Sumo's wheel was under water, I crossed the section without any problems but my Engine started to cough after crossing it and after a minute or so it was back to normal. Was it because water might have entered the exhaust pipe? I did have my engine raised a little.
Old 8th September 2014, 14:59   #26
BANNED

This guy clarkson should be added to the banned list of Team BHP, and never be allowed membership of our forum. This ISIS like behaviour is totally against all ethics of humani.. err automobanity.
chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:32   #27
BHPian

A joy ride turns into a nightmare.
He can now enjoy the trips to the service station every forntight.
Old 8th September 2014, 18:13   #28
BHPian

Guys... People make mistakes. And learn the hard way. No need to be harsh on the poor fellow. He might have already learnt his lessons.
AntiBHPIans are the people who drive rash, illegally, don't care for others and their own lives.
subscrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 18:27   #29
BHPian

I was in Diveagar last December, and parked the car on the beach; parked it close to the adjacent road. The beach was full of tourists. In a while, a cop came running and asked me and other car owners to take the cars off the sand immediately. He gave the same reason, there have been many cases of cars getting stuck in the sand.
The beach in the picture seems to be a local one, justifies no patrolling.

Last edited by nishantdlv : 8th September 2014 at 18:28.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 18:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I doubt there was any damage due to this, the water is hardly reaching the bumper height.
Waves might have forced water higher up into the electrical components. And repeatedly cranking a submerged car is a recipe for disaster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks