Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 22:04   #1
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach

Saw this Maruti Swift Dzire submerged to some extent at Diveagar Beach, Maharashtra.

The Diveagar Beach is a very hard sand beach and its really fun to drive a car on the hard sand surface. However, one should not park their car close to the sea water as high tides can take a toll on the car.

The owner tried to take out the car with the help of a bullock cart initially, failing which a tractor was called. The tractor successfully pulled out the car but it took quite some time to crank the car. The sea water definitely would have gone inside some engine components and could later turn this car into a rust bucket.

Apparently, the owner parked the car on the beach and went for a swim, came back to find the car submerged in sea water.

It was really a sad sight and the owner is definitely to be blamed here. It was foolishness on part of the driver and the occupants to have let parked the car in sea water.
Attached Thumbnails
Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-dscn1376.jpg  

Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-dscn1378.jpg  

Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-dscn1388.jpg  

Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-dscn1391.jpg  

Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-dscn1396.jpg  

//M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:10   #2
BHPian

re: Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach

Wow. At least they did not let the sea claim this car right away. Who knows, given just some more time, it could have gone under totally.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Tractor pulled out a sinking Swift Dzire from Diveagar Beach

What! Parked the car on the beach like that and went for a swim?

If there were a group of anti-BHP'ians, I'm sure this guy would qualify.

To think, I would make sure thrice when parking the car in a shopping mall!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

I expect this car to be in OLX or Quikr classifieds in the next 2 or 3 months!
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:12   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2014 at 12:38.
sbala is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2014, 23:17   #6
BHPian

Shocking, I have not seen cars on beaches before. And then to leave the car near water and go for a swim even more bizarre.
Old 5th September 2014, 00:27   #7
BHPian

For someone who's lived in Mumbai, I don't think this is any different than what they would drive through in the monsoon. Actually, the roads have more water than what you see here.

I doubt there was any damage due to this, the water is hardly reaching the bumper height. And you can't cause lethal corrosion just by one dip in sea water, all you need to do is make sure you get a underbody wash done after you're done driving on the beach.

Good thing is he got the tractor to get him out, lesson learnt!
amolpol is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 00:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dive Agar has lots of stories of such Einsteins where people assumed their car was a dog and would love a stroll on the beach. I have heard quite a few tales when the car was left submerged for a high tide to pass! Interestingly, many times the car is of MH12-14 registration.

Were the towel-clad gents the owners? They look quite eager to get back into the sea

Last edited by ani_meher : 5th September 2014 at 00:37.
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 01:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
Shocking, I have not seen cars on beaches before.

Couldn't resist this 'selfie' opportunity-

Taken at Muzhuppilangad drive-in beach, the only one in South India.
Tractor pulls out a sinking Dzire from Diveagar Beach-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409860291.325238.jpg

One of the golden rules about driving on a beach though is to drive and not stop for long, let alone parking it and going for swim. The other golden rule is to give the car a thorough detailing + underbody wash once the fun is over!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 01:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If there were a group of anti-BHP'ians, I'm sure this guy would qualify.
This is one of the funniest comments I have read on this forum -- nearly fell off my chair!

On a more serious note, leaving aside the corrosion I think a bigger problem was attaching the towing line to the car properly. The typical towing hook point may not be designed to withstand resistance from six inches of wet sand. I've seen some videos of cars who chassis was damaged due to bad towing when stuck in deep mud.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 01:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have seen it multiple times at Diveagar beach.

Last time it was a Sumo, which was almost gobbled up by sea. Thanks to the villagers, who probably are now used to such wannabe antics, the vehicle got salvaged just in time.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:14   #12
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Looks like they wanted their car to take a swim as well.. Did the car started after its swimming session?
Yes it did, but it took almost an hour of cranking and experimenting before the car actually started. And yes it made weird noises with every crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
For someone who's lived in Mumbai, I don't think this is any different than what they would drive through in the monsoon. Actually, the roads have more water than what you see here.

I doubt there was any damage due to this, the water is hardly reaching the bumper height. And you can't cause lethal corrosion just by one dip in sea water, all you need to do is make sure you get a underbody wash done after you're done driving on the beach.

Good thing is he got the tractor to get him out, lesson learnt!
I agree not much damage would have caused but by the time I saw the car it had been in the water for the last 30 minutes while the occupants were trying to rescue it.

Then a bullock cart was called. After several attempts, they gave up. Costed them atleast 20-30 minutes.

It was quite early in the morning and these guys had taken the car to an empty stretch at the far end of the beach, hence immediate help was not in hand. Few of us did try multiple times to push and pull it out, but failed to do so.

Finally they sent someone to get a tractor which costed them atleast 1 hour, might be more. I was there in the beach for my early morning stroll and can surely say that atleast in front of me, the car was there in the water for atleast 90 minutes.

So I assume the car had been lying in the water for close to 2 hours before being rescued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

Were the towel-clad gents the owners? They look quite eager to get back into the sea
You bet.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

Considering they parked below the high tide line, it is safe to conclude they are not from the coast. Coastal guys would always look for high tide line.

Considering they attempted a bullock cart tow, it is safe to assume the rescuers knew nothing about the power required to pull a stranded car. How much power can two bullocks generate together, 2BHP? Then subtract the drag induced by the cart whose narrow wheels are also sunk deep in the sand.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering they parked below the high tide line, it is safe to conclude they are not from the coast. Coastal guys would always look for high tide line.

Considering they attempted a bullock cart tow, it is safe to assume the rescuers knew nothing about the power required to pull a stranded car. How much power can two bullocks generate together, 2BHP? Then subtract the drag induced by the cart whose narrow wheels are also sunk deep in the sand.
Actually I know a friend who was in exact same situation at exact same location.

The Bull power actually saved him and this car. (Two bulls actually directly linked to car hook)

The point is that the bull is like a DC series motor. Humungous torque at zero RPM. The car engine will have extremely puny torque and even then it would be spinning at 800 rpm - enough rev speed to make the tyres slip.
alpha1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPians, kindly take note of the car so as to avoid it. I am sure this will land up in the used car market soon. In the first picture, the water has gone much above the bumper line. I am sure that saline water would have made way into low-lying electricals like self starter, alternator, etc which cannot be cleaned despite a thorough under body wash.

Thanks Arunabh for sharing it. Feel sad for the car though.

Most Viewed