Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 15:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

It has been launched from today but no easy way to know how to use it. After searching found that you have to get the tag from ICICI Bank/Axis Bank(Only selected branches) after submitting ID/Address proof and refundable deposit for Rs. 250/-

The site of the company managing is http://www.ihmcl.com/

From the first look it doesn't seem to be user friendly.

I guess it will some years before this is fully functional.

New Report :

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/44981881.cms
Old 31st October 2014, 15:29   #32
BHPian

That website is very badly designed. Some of the links ("Learn More") etc. don't lead anywhere but reload the home page.

There is no info anywhere on how and where to apply for the transponder or how to use the transponder.

There is no information as to whether the transponder is free or charged on a monthly basis or is to be bought outright.

There is no info on how and when the roll-out would be for the rest of the country.

The Economic Times news-blurb mentions that all new cars have RFID tags fitted to comply with there ETC, but ckranjan's post above says something to the effect that tags must be obtained from ICICI or Axis banks. So, why the RFID tags in the cars? Or, are those cars exempt from getting a tag from the aforementioned banks; and if so, is there some kind of activation that needs to be done, etc.? No info about any of these things.

Who designs these websites, and more importantly, who is the idiot who approved this website to go online?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 31st October 2014 at 15:33.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:24   #33

I think this is a great initiative by the govt, thought BJP has taken the credit to implement I still have few questions that are unanswered.

- Will this take care of discounts for return journey or monthly passes?
- What are ways to ensure that a car tag is used in car and not on truck?
- Will law enforcement support toll operators in case someone plays funny?

I am so excited by this improvement.
geeyadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:51   #34
BHPian

Hello, has anyone registered for FASTag yet?
I had trouble registering on the ICICI Bank's website and am still waiting for a call back from there sales team.
Cheers
Old 12th April 2015, 23:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this lane changed in Krishnagiri toll on NH 7 on Bangalore - Chennai route. Looks like they are implementing for electronic toll collection.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-suh_0464.jpg
Old 13th April 2015, 09:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

mpksuhas, you beat me to it. These devices are getting setup not only in Krishnagiri toll. I could see similar arrangements being done at Thoppur and the toll booth near Kumarapalayam/Kumarapuram as well (on NH47). So looks like FastTag is soon going to be a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyadev
- Will law enforcement support toll operators in case someone plays funny?
From what I could understand the toll booths for reading the FastTag is constructed in a slightly different way from others. The tag readers etc. are placed well ahead of the existing tool booth. So that if a vehicle tries to dodge the FastTag reader, he would once again land up in front of a manned toll booth. Off course if there again the drivers try further nasty tricks, all the usual procedures would kick in (toll booth security and if that fails the local police units).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 10:36   #37
BANNED

Great initiative. I hope things smooth out and these transponders become available easily soon. Also, the toll plazas will have to be upgraded to work with these.
Old 14th April 2015, 13:53   #38
BHPian

Just got an email from ICICI Bank about the FASTag.
Looks like they have enrolled ICICI Bank to handle collection services.

Not a bad way to implement the system - I have no problem dealing via ICICI Bank.
Old 16th April 2015, 18:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Just got an email from ICICI Bank about the FASTag.
Looks like they have enrolled ICICI Bank to handle collection services.

Not a bad way to implement the system - I have no problem dealing via ICICI Bank.
Using a private banker will really help as long as the government/NHAI lay down the rules clearly and implement it in all toll plazas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Saw this lane changed in Krishnagiri toll on NH 7 on Bangalore - Chennai route. Looks like they are implementing for electronic toll collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
mpksuhas, you beat me to it. These devices are getting setup not only in Krishnagiri toll. I could see similar arrangements being done at Thoppur and the toll booth near Kumarapalayam/Kumarapuram as well (on NH47). So looks like FastTag is soon going to be a reality.
I have been seeing these changes on NH47 have been going on for a long time(I travel from Bangalore to Erode often). Though they planned to launch it earlier, the toll plazas and the service provider had some difference of opinion it seems and got delayed. Both blamed each other for the slow progress and had some service charge issues it seems.

Quote:
Off course if there again the drivers try further nasty tricks, all the usual procedures would kick in (toll booth security and if that fails the local police units).
This is going to be a big menace and will frustrate you to the core. For more details, talk to any of the BETL OBU holders.
Old 17th April 2015, 09:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
This is going to be a big menace and will frustrate you to the core. For more details, talk to any of the BETL OBU holders.
I am a bit optimistic here . Perhaps there would be initial hickups here as every one would try to barge into the FastTag lane, without having the RFID device. But I feel with a good campaign (much in advance of the opening of the special lanes), and with constant monitoring things would improve.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I am a bit optimistic here . Perhaps there would be initial hickups here as every one would try to barge into the FastTag lane, without having the RFID device. But I feel with a good campaign (much in advance of the opening of the special lanes), and with constant monitoring things would improve.
I love your optimism Sachin. But i have been crossing 4 toll gates a DAY for last 4 years, which bring me to 4*365*4 ~ 6000 times at toll gates and it looks like I have lot the optimism . Rather than a good campaign, making it mandatory and enforcing it right from the dealership/service centers level will be good.
ANewExperience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:46   #42
BHPian

Looks like the toll plaza at Hosakote on the Bangalore-Kolar road will also be FASTag enabled. They have put up road signs and lane markers for it. The toll attendant said they will be starting next month (not sure if they actually will).

ICICI Bank's FASTag page doesn't list any point of sale locations in Bangalore yet.
http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Ba...page?#toptitle
gadiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Looks like the toll plaza at Hosakote on the Bangalore-Kolar road will also be FASTag enabled. They have put up road signs and lane markers for it. The toll attendant said they will be starting next month (not sure if they actually will).
A find similar yet to be operational fast tag lanes in a number of toll booths around Bangalore. I spoke to the Manager of the toll booth near Bangalore airport and was told that that there is no planned date for opening the fast tag facility yet. On my direct question if the facility is likely to become operational in 2-3 months, the answer was "unlikely".
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:39   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

All toll booths on NH 7, Bangalore - Dindugul route. And also on Karaikudi - Trichy- Chennai route has Fasttag lanes either marked or under construction.

On checking with one toll booth attended it was informed that it may be launched in two weeks, however on seeing the status of certain toll booths I don't think it may be feasible.
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:31   #45
rkg
Senior - BHPian

ICICI is charging a fee for every recharge and also service tax. So be prepared for another 15-20% hike in already exorbitant tolls

Along with Fastag, government should think of implementing certain things like
1. Every toll receit should have the government order based on which toll is collected.
User should be able to verify the same at NHAI website
2. It should clearly mention toll is between X and Y place instead of X km to Y km
3. It should also contain rate/km along with duration of the contractor

These three will go a long way in ensuring accountability in toll system which is lacking now.

As per GOI order toll in Nasik-Indore highway is around 0.40 paise/km. Even if it was raised to Rs 1/km, I had paid whopping Rs 600/ from Nasik to the turn towards Ratlam , just 350 odd km.
If one is coming from Trimbak and taking the flyover in nasik town he has to pay Rs 140/ just for using 10 Km of road. After you pay rs 140/ within Km you get another toll which collects rs 120/- , then for every 60Km you have toll collecting 80-90/-. I had argued with toll guy, who showed me Gazette notification, which clearly says Rs 0.40 per km.

Similarly, if one has to go to Jalandhar from Ludhiana he has to Rs 118/ toll for just 18 km for the turn towards Jalandhar from Ludhiana. They are collecting toll for entire Ludhiana-Amritsar stretch from people who had to go to Jalandhar.

Another example, in NH7, there is toll just before mantralayam turn near Gooty. The turn is just 100 meters from toll. So a guy going to mantralayam has to pay toll for Gooty-Kurnool section even if he is not traveling on the road.

Between, Viziawada-Guntur-Amaravati section. The toll is just before the turn towards into guntur for amaravati. One has to pay whooping Rs 120 for 30 km

Another example: Nagpur bypass. the toll booth is on the main road not at the entrance to bypass. I do not know how long the bypass is , but i had to pay Rs 180/ for it without using.

Between Balasore-Bhubaneswar, only one lane is functional that too alternating lanes for every 1-2 km . But 4 lane toll is collected. who gave them permission to collect toll even before work is complete is a mystery. I had not seen any activity towards completing the second lane. Why the contractor will do it, as he is already getting the money

Last edited by rkg : 3rd May 2015 at 13:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks