Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 14:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Good initiative if this is going to reduce the wait time at toll booths.

Any thoughts on how they are planning to control entry to these automated lanes initially ? Given the traditional Indian driver mindset on the road, I can foresee that many drivers, upon seeing a relatively empty lane is going to drive in to that and upon learning that its a FastTag lane, will start arguing with the folks manning them to let them through. And if the lanes are unmanned, it can get worse
PADAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 17:23   #77
BHPian

Hopefully, the government should look to standardize the lane that supports Fastag over all the toll-booths where it is made applicable now. For example, the left most lane or the center-lane at all tolls. They should also be looking at putting up sign boards to indicate the Fastag lane (say 250m in advance). Usually, there are sign boards 500m before the toll warning road users. Perhaps, this Fastag lane sign board can be integrated with them.

Though, it is at the grass-root stage now, such measures coupled with a hassle-free way to obtain the RFIDs' will definitely help smooth driving along highways.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I registered for the Fastag on the ICICI website. And the message I get at the end is "Please continue your account process with nearest agent by submitting the selected documents.".

When I look at the list of POS, there's nothing in Bangalore. Does anyone know how to proceed with this, in Bangalore?
Yes - their website is useless and has not even updated with the Chennai - Bangalore sector having FastTag facility.

Here is what I did, today; Called 18602670104 which was promptly picked up and when I asked the person on how to get the fasttag - he said there are two ways;

1) One can visit Sriperumbudur toll plaza and fix the tag after filling the form, submitting documents & paying fees.

2) He can ask a Sales person to contact me - who will in-turn will fix a appointment to come to my home/ office, fill the form, collect documents and pay fees. Once done - they will fix the fasttag to the car.

Documents to be submitted for personal vehicles; One passport size photo of the vehicle owner, ID/ Address proof & Vehicle RC copy.

Fees have to paid in cash or cheque and likewise recharges have to be done online but it accepts only NEFT or debit card. So - no credit card facility.

Also - they will cross check the RC book with the vehicle and fix the tag on the spot. So - we cannot carry the fasttag and fix it later.

I have opted for 2nd and waiting for the call from sales person. Will keep you posted how this goes.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 29th July 2015 at 17:37.
maheshramaling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
2) He can ask a Sales person to contact me - who will in-turn will fix a appointment to come to my home/ office, fill the form, collect documents and pay fees. Once done - they will fix the fasttag to the car.
Hey Mahesh, did you actually complete the process of tagging your car? Just curious to know a few things in addition,

a. Is the tag transferable or does one need to apply afresh?

b. Is there a validity period for the credit in ones account?

Although I don't have any immediate plans of a trip, I'll be happy to be Fastag ready
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Hey Mahesh, did you actually complete the process of tagging your car? Just curious to know a few things in addition,

a. Is the tag transferable or does one need to apply afresh?

b. Is there a validity period for the credit in ones account?

Although I don't have any immediate plans of a trip, I'll be happy to be Fastag ready
I am yet to receive a call - so don't have answers. Will let everyone know once they call me. Worst case - when i am going next to Chennai - will try the Sriperumbudur toll plaza to affix this tag.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 16:36   #81
BHPian

Spotted this in all 3 tolls in between salem and ullundurpet. The work was in progress and the lane was closed temporarily.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-20037868220_ee28c6f29d_k.jpg

Last edited by klassics45 : 6th August 2015 at 16:38.
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 19:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

FASTag to fast-track rides on Chandigarh-Delhi highway stretch :

Source
Old 7th August 2015, 13:33   #83
BHPian

I have always wondered what the Fastag column was for in the Palakkad walayar toll booth. When I inquired the staff reply was that they are temporary and dont know further details. I have to see if they updated the info of Fastag at the toll booth. If so it such a boon, the walayar toll booth at times is filled with long lines of trucks and there have been times when i had to wait 15-20 mins at the toll plaza.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I have always wondered what the Fastag column was for in the Palakkad walayar toll booth. When I inquired the staff reply was that they are temporary and dont know further details. I have to see if they updated the info of Fastag at the toll booth. If so it such a boon, the walayar toll booth at times is filled with long lines of trucks and there have been times when i had to wait 15-20 mins at the toll plaza.
RFID tags require a network effect. Unless the cars ahead of you use it, your waiting time will hardly reduce.

The government needs to just clamp down hard and force commercial vehicles to use it. Much of the queues will disappear overnight without even individuals signing up.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I have always wondered what the Fastag column was for in the Palakkad walayar toll booth. When I inquired the staff reply was that they are temporary and dont know further details...
The staff manning the Walayar toll booths still don't have a clue what they are for. However, they asked me to visit their office to obtain the "local pass" if that's what I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The government needs to just clamp down hard and force commercial vehicles to use it. Much of the queues will disappear overnight without even individuals signing up.
Something on the lines of the Toll Collect system used in Germany would help. As long as the truck operators find an advantage, the system will work without any intervention of law.
Old 9th August 2015, 09:28   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
RFID tags require a network effect. Unless the cars ahead of you use it, your waiting time will hardly reduce.

Well that is the most surprising thing. I have seen tons of Commercial Logistics vehicles with SatNav and GPS dongles with manually entering driver logs and stuf. So if something like the fastag comes along I think it will be the truckers who will be the first implement it without any Government intervention like Silversteed quoted.

When coming to knowledge of technology I have met truckers who are more experienced in using the SatNav than my taxi drivers who are actually more educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The staff manning the Walayar toll booths still don't have a clue what they are for. However, they asked me to visit their office to obtain the "local pass" if that's what I needed
LOL
Mordred is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:16   #87
BHPian

After the spectacular launch few months back, the actual adoption of FasTag and the operation of FasTag lanes is a complete failure. First and foremost, the process to obtain a FasTag RFID tag is very opaque and cumbersome. Something which should be sold as openly as a mobile phone is under complete mystery. There are no open sales channel and no information on how to purchase one. Secondly, on most highways, the FasTag lane is operated by cash payment so even if you have a tag, you will have to crawl along till your turn comes to cross the barrier which completely defeats the purpose.
autobahnjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:22   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this confusing news.

It mentiones about 'Fixed charges' on monthly/ Half yearly or yearly charges.

However it also mentions about requiring FastTag for the same. May be, they want to get FastTag by paying these fixed charges.

Link

Quote:
Cabinet proposal seeking to allow all such vehicles to ply across the entire NH network paying monthly, half-yearly or annual charges of approximately Rs 250, Rs 1,400 and Rs 2,500 respectively.
Very well said -
Quote:
The resistance against paying toll is primarily on account of commuters not getting the desired service. They are not against paying toll, if people enjoy the travel," said SP Singh of IFTRT, an advocacy group on transport issues
Old 28th September 2015, 12:07   #89
BHPian

Fast tag is a big failure.
Over the weekend i saw that the supposedly dedicated fast tag lines were filled with cash payers and i saw a red cross mark on the top.

Why toll operators dont promote this wonderful tool beats me. Also, most toll operators would tender 1-2 rupees less and only reluctantly give the remaining amount if i verified and asked for the change.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:47   #90
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
Why toll operators dont promote this wonderful tool beats me. Also, most toll operators would tender 1-2 rupees less and only reluctantly give the remaining amount if i verified and asked for the change.
First: Almost all infrastructure projects in the country are over inflated several times.( Be it Airports, roads or anything else). This will enable private players to claim higher user fees over a longer period. All are partners in this( contractors, govt officials)

Second: At present there is no way to find out exactly how much the private operator collected over a period of time. Audit happens as per the books provided by operators.

Third and most Important: Fastag like schemes will record exactly how much operator is collecting as user fee. This can not be obfuscated with duplicate physical records. As there will be a record at more than one place, which is out of control of operator.

Suppose, the operator is rather losing money on infra projects like toll roads or airports, FASTAG is good for them as it can minimize losses at toll both collections, reduce operating costs. They should have been eager to implement it. Are we seeing any eagerness on their part for past one year or so? Most probably, he is recovering his investment in much shorter time, than the contractual period. In such a scenario, he has relinquish user fee collection.

Hence the resistance, just like what AADHAR scheme was facing.

This is the reason, fastag is proceeding at snail's pace and its users are at inconvenience compared to non users, as they have to pay registration fee, commission on amount loaded, run around to get it etc etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks