Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 09:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nov 2014: Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars

Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars
29 Nov 2014 Hindustan Times
Quote:
The Gurgaon traffic police have given a one-month notice to residents to get their outstation vehicles registered with the local authority or face action under Section 49 of the Motor Vehicles Act.

The decision comes as the traffic department has been receiving several complaints regarding abandoned vehicles with registration of other states.

Vehicles from outside the city are also used in crime in Gurgaon. The police face problem in accessing the records of such vehicles.

The decision will affect only car owners who have a permanent address in Gurgaon. Residents, who are living in the city on rented accommodation, or travelling to the city on a daily basis will not be covered under the drive.

About 10.5 lakh vehicles are registered with the registration authority in Gurgaon and an unaccounted number of vehicles registered in other states ply in Gurgaon.

A special drive will start from Monday to check vehicles registered in other state plying in the city.

Deputy commissioner of police (traffic) Vinod Kaushik said, “If the owner of a motor vehicle is a resident or has his place of business at the address recorded in the certificate of re gistration of the vehicle, he shall, within 30 days of any such change of address, intimate his new address, to the registering authority.”

“Many residents who have moved to Gurgaon from other states have not changed their vehicle registration numbers, he added.

“We are facing a problem in identifying vehicles in case of accidents and other issues. We are not able to trace the vehicle due to their old address,” said Kaushik.

However, residents are not happy with the new move as they feel that the registration of vehicles should be done only once and the change of registration is chargeable and a tedious process.
One of my cars is Delhi registered which my wife drives just to drop/pickup our kid to/from school. Her driving license is issued in Gurgaon. Should I be worried ?

Mods: Please merge it with relevant thread if needed.
mukeshgoel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 10:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Nov 2014: Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars

This is a brainless unimplementable idea esp for a place like Gurgaon with a large migrant population. Please wait and let it die its natural death.

DL regn is okay, its just 15km away - it should not be covered at all.

Imagine all those who bought their SUVs from Uttarakhand to save tax (like dkaile mentioned in his Fortuner log!). They'll fight it. You chill
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 10:35   #3
BANNED

I thought the NCR was exempt from this requirement.
Old 29th November 2014, 10:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

On one side the logic says that all vehicles should be exempt from state-wise registration and the system should be centralized and then news like these crop up. With the in-efficient RTO authorities, the bribe culture thriving in such offices, the touts and agents and your personal job and other commitments - I wonder if Govt. should enforce such rules to make the lives of ordinary people even more miserable.

All vehicles have anyway paid taxes to the Indian Govt., be it center or state, and all data is always available with concerned RTO. Just centralize the database and make things simple - if anyone is listening.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is impossible to enforce. How are they going to check whether the Resident has a permanent residence in Gurgaon? The article mentions people travelling from other states and those staying in rented accommodation need not have local registration.

Far bigger issues exist for Gurgaon Traffic police, hope they get their priorities right.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 12:00   #6
BHPian

Yet another way of making money, in KA lines! KA and HR26 have a lot in common, in the way industries have sprung up. Why let go of the official and unofficial ways to mint money: road tax again and sundry bribes everytime you are "checked"! I am sure, even UP,CH,HP,PB etc registered cars would be stopped, "checked", milked and let go. The most affected, would be the "dally passenger" service/"MNC" class, who according to the police lower rung enforcers, by default, have "2 laakh" salary per month. (So "helping" the constable's son through his "axpansive" MBA, by way of "chacking fees" is the MNCwallahs "compulsory social responsibility" )

Said that, does it really mean it has to be re-registered? Or like tenants, you need to have a clean chit from the local "thana" and keep the stamped form with you if you have an outstation car?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 29th November 2014 at 12:13.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

KA terrorism, now HR terrorism. Are these guys even educated enough to know what India and Indian job scenario has changed into?

What if my born and brought up place is in Mumbai, I studied in UK, came back to India got a job in Bangalore, after 1nd half years, moved to Delhi for my second job, with my third job being in Mumbai again. Do they expect me to buy new cars everytime I change a job ? Or will my Mumbai registered Swift go through road tax in Bangalore, then in my second job I take it to Delhi but 'wow, i can't claim the road tax back in Bangalore because I have not registered my MH into KA, so that's money gone down the drain, a 15 year road tax which I cannot claim back even though I used the roads for 1 year in Bangalore'

Now Delhi will make me re register my car for 1nd half years, again paying the road tax in Delhi', after which I finally move back to Mumbai (my place of birth) and have to drive around a HR registered Swift in my own home city because those morons have converted India into different countries inside it.

Sorry, this country deserves a Salam Namaste and a direct form filling by us Indians for PR in countries like NZ, Australia, Canada etc etc.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 17:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nov 2014: Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars

Some interesting replies on "Gurgaon Traffic Police" Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/GTPGGN/phot...levant_count=1
Old 29th November 2014, 19:51   #9
BHPian

This is stupid. I commute from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon in my Mumbai registered car.

How will I prove them that I am not a resident of Gurgaon? How are they going to implement this? What will they check?
Old 29th November 2014, 20:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This is stupid. I commute from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon in my Mumbai registered car.

How will I prove them that I am not a resident of Gurgaon? How are they going to implement this? What will they check?
As per CMVA, are you supposed to get your car re-registered from MH to UP if your stay extends beyond a certain time?

If not, then simply carrying a residence proof should suffice for you. While it looks like a plan with loose ends please keep a copy of necessary documents in your car else you might end up wasting time and money with these pin heads.

I like one comment from Gurgaon Traffic Police's fb page
Quote:
The new administration in Gurgaon is preparing for their loot
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 20:15   #11
BHPian

Nov 2014: Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars

Quote:

I guess it's pertaining to whole of Haryana and not only Gurgaon, if you stay in ghaziabad and drive other state car in Haryana(Gurgaon including)then road tax of Haryana needs to be paid. If you stay in noida, delhi and coming to work to Gurgaon, ghaziabad and you can prove it through toll receipt, any other resident proof then it's alright. This is from my experience in bangalore and mumbai and assuming that law is same across the country.

It's basically a revenue generation drive by the government.

Last edited by andydude : 29th November 2014 at 20:18.
andydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 15:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voter card, Aadhar Card, DL, Passport any other government issued document that shows your address being outside Ggn, HR

Quote:
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 16:22   #13
BHPian

This is going to be a pain.

Everyday, whenever I will come across a Police officer I will have to show him my residence proof.

They should give a sticker to all the vehicles checked, so they are not stopped again and again. Something similar to "Non-Polluting vehicle" sticker, which will read " Not a resident of Haryana"

I hope this does not get implemented.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 21:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

By having people living in rented accommodation exempt from this rule takes away all the tooth from this judgement.

My fear is, once a cop is bent on collecting a fine or a bribe, no amount of rationale and reasoning can be enough.
Old 1st December 2014, 00:06   #15
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Gurgaon residents get one month to register outstation cars

“We are facing a problem in identifying vehicles in case of accidents and other issues. We are not able to trace the vehicle due to their old address,” said Kaushik.
If this is the genuine purpose, the authorities should make it mandatory for the vehicle owners to disclose and report their vehicle details and address without having them to be re-registered with RTO. Re-registration involves a lot of money and other difficulties in getting officials to follow the procedure!

Glad that some people have already taken the fight up to the court in some states, w.r.t re-registration of other state vehicles. Lets hope to see some positive results shortly.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks