Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 09:38   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Here in bangalore, cops don't confiscate the license unless your way beyond the limit and the speeds that you mentioned are also reasonable. Are you sure that we are hearing the whole story and the numbers mentioned by you are accurate.
Well, that's not the whole story. I forgot to mention that it was Diwali that day, and they had stopped many other vehicles too. When I complained about not having too high speed, the officer told me that another guy was being charged even though his speed was 55! Here's the challan copy that has the date and speed mentioned on it.

Also, I asked him to not take the license as he has already taken the fine money, but he told me that it was the rule now, and he can't help it!
Attached Thumbnails
Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone-1512101320612.jpg  

Last edited by meetgds : 1st December 2017 at 09:41.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:41   #152
BHPian

Hello, my wife's driving licence was confiscated for the same reason by Delhi Traffic Police. This was sometime in May 2016, during the early stage of implementation of the new traffic rules on the basis of a Supreme Court appointed committee's recommendations. We could do nothing but pay the fine and surrender the licence (issued in Gurgaon). We were given a receipt/note for having taken the DL from her, and were told then to collect the DL from the DL issuing authority ( Gurgaon in our case) after the 90 days period. After 90 days when we went to the Gurgaon RTO office couple of times, we were told to collect the DL from the police station (Malviya Nagar). I write emails about this issue to the ACP, DCP Traffic Delhi explaining the difficulties that we were facing. Within an hour, received a call from a Traffic Policeman to come to Malviya Nagar Police Training College campus and collect the DL which we did immediately. I wrote a thanks email to the Delhi traffic police authorities who responded almost immediately.
So don't worry about your DL. It's in safe custody. Collect it after 90 days. Should you face any problem, email the senior traffic police officers. They will assist you.
Krishnan V G is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 09:42   #153
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving license confiscated!

Buddy.. no need to worry. Just lodge an e-FIR about loss of DL, go to the RTO and get a duplicate one. 1 day job.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 09:44   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Hello, my wife's driving licence was confiscated for the same reason by Delhi Traffic Police. This was sometime in May 2016, during the early stage of implementation of the new traffic rules on the basis of a Supreme Court appointed committee's recommendations. We could do nothing but pay the fine and surrender the licence (issued in Gurgaon). We were given a receipt/note for having taken the DL from her, and were told then to collect the DL from the DL issuing authority ( Gurgaon in our case) after the 90 days period. After 90 days when we went to the Gurgaon RTO office couple of times, we were told to collect the DL from the police station (Malviya Nagar). I write emails about this issue to the ACP, DCP Traffic Delhi explaining the difficulties that we were facing. Within an hour, received a call from a Traffic Policeman to come to Malviya Nagar Police Training College campus and collect the DL which we did immediately. I wrote a thanks email to the Delhi traffic police authorities who responded almost immediately.
So don't worry about your DL. It's in safe custody. Collect it after 90 days. Should you face any problem, email the senior traffic police officers. They will assist you.
I think that's what I'll have to do. It makes me wonder though, do people really drive within 50 kmph on clear roads? I could have never imagined being fined for over speeding when driving beyond 70!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Buddy.. no need to worry. Just lodge an e-FIR about loss of DL, go to the RTO and get a duplicate one. 1 day job.
Are you sure about this? Will they issue a new license when police have confiscated the original one?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2017 at 10:54. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 1st December 2017, 09:50   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Are you sure about this? Will they issue a new license when police have confiscated the original one?
Been there.. done that!! No way of cross-verifying with the DP database

No need to tell that its confiscated.. just say that wallet got stolen.. DL was one of the items.

Last edited by panky12345 : 1st December 2017 at 09:51.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 09:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told that I can collect the same after 90 days from my districts police station. Can anyone who has been in similar situation share their experience and any advice that you may have?
Take a break from driving for 3 months. You did break the law.

Quote:
Please don't do this. You will be in more trouble. These days the offenses and DL are linked online. The moment you go asking for duplicate DL in the RTO, they will realize what has happened.

This could work if the place where your license was confiscated, don't report it online. But considering you got an e-challan, pretty sure that it will be updated in the RTO records.

EDIT -
Quote:
Well, I'm not banned from driving yet. They gave me a document that I can use in place of DL for the 90 day period. I am allowed to drive and carry that document with me.
What was the whole point of confiscating then? Just keep a digital copy of your licence then - using digital locker app. You can even take a print out of the same and keep in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ that is not true.. You can not drive basis that slip .
Even I was under the impression that you can't drive. The only scenario that I am aware of when this can be done is when you don't have the cash to pay. They will ask you to pay the fine later from the chowky and release the DL then.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st December 2017 at 10:12.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Well, I'm not banned from driving yet. They gave me a document that I can use in place of DL for the 90 day period. I am allowed to drive and carry that document with me.

Last edited by meetgds : 1st December 2017 at 10:02.
meetgds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:08   #158
BHPian

Also, while filing the e-FIR, it does ask for an affidavit that the statement being provided is true and that false information can lead to separate charges. Sure, one would want to do that .. ?

My take: cool off the 3 month period, use Ola/Uber ; save yourself some road grief too !

Last edited by BUXX : 1st December 2017 at 10:09.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:11   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
This is really subjective. No discussion is needed on how ridiculous the speed limits are. Not saying that one should make their own laws, but in this case, the law seems to be incompetent rather than the driver.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:17   #160
BHPian

Quote:
<snip> the officer told me that another guy was being charged even though his speed was 55!
Wow! Does it mean one has to continuously look at his speedo just to ensure he doesn't cross the speed limit even by 5-6 KMPH?

Regarding the confiscated license, I feel it's in safe hands. Don't try to get a duplicate one.
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:19   #161
BANNED

Quote:

No need to tell that its confiscated.. just say that wallet got stolen.. DL was one of the items.
This is good advice.
If one keeps 2 licences in the first place, should be very sweet. Much less headache in case of theft or loss.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:19   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mo don't ever do this. As someone has already mentioned its an e-challan and they will know about it. In Bangalore when we had went to get my BIL a duplicate license (he had misplaced it and didn't remember) , they did a check on any fines or such. Better to wait for 90 days and collect it back.

And please do not drive without one too. Use cabs or public transport or pooling with people you know.

Quote:

You have proven why rules/laws are considered too overrated in India!
Old 1st December 2017, 10:27   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Okay, so there is someone who thinks exactly on my lines!!

I don't suggest taking the duplicate as you stand a decent chance of getting caught. Let me tell you that the DL confiscation info is sent to the RTO authorities too (as per a traffic official) and there is a decent chance of landing in trouble.

But yes, you can drive on the basis of FIR copy (simply file one in another district of Delhi) and start driving in a defensive manner, I have been there but my case was entirely different because I had recently changed my address when the license got confiscated and hence had one with older address too!
Old 1st December 2017, 10:29   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
It depends on the language printed on the challan.

I had the same problem in Jun 2016. Thankfully my challan said that it could be used for driving, while another challan issued by a different team of Delhi Police clearly specified that the recipient could not use it to drive.

@Panky bhai sahab- This is gross stupidity in 2017. You shouldn't bank upon police databases being unlinked forever as BUX says, this can be easily verified later and land you in soup for perjury (or some interpretation thereof). Why?

For your information, there are multi-year digitization efforts underway in police departments nationwide. This trick may backfire much earlier than you think.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st December 2017 at 10:32.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:32   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The idea of confiscating your DL is to prevent you from driving. Don't try and circumvent this as you may attract more penalties. That slip you have is only a driving ticket from the police. Show it to another traffic cop and he won't look upon you very kindly as a person who was overspeeding in the first instance and has broken yet another traffic rule i.e driving without a license.

Quote:
Please don't even think about it. If you're caught the last thing you want to see is the cops throwing the book at at you for attempted cheating. @panky12345 got away with it but you may not. Not sure how it works in NCR but in MH, if you lose the DL you are supposed to file a complaint with the nearest police station and submit a copy of the FIR to the RTO along with the application for a duplicate.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks