Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 15:26   #106
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

I am only wondering about the lakhs of people - Two wheeler riders, carowners, commercial drivers, who simply did not read the paper and don't know of this rule.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 15:34   #107
Team-BHP Support

Too harsh a punishment. I hope you get back your DL soon. Looks like the laws are getting stricter by the day, in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But how can someone agree to pay fine without getting receipt! It would directly go in to their pocket as bribe.
You missed the sarcasm in that post.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 15:44   #108
BHPian

Intresting thread, as many have already raised, the question, will there be a fair implementation of this rule across all offenders. Seems not, givent that already one person has paid "the fine" of 350 to ensure the DL is not suspended.

Would be intrested in seeing the Govt vehicles and politicians vehicles getting fined and DL taken away. Hmmm missed the guys who also have the Red Beacons. or other markings on the number plate or vechiles.

Slightly off topic and old:
When I was in Gurgaon in 2006, me and my friends decided to visit Rajghat. We did not find any directions to the Carpark, and found quite a few had parked on the road in front of it. There was no board indicating that its a no-parking area. So left it there, and went in. After some time, I had a strange gut feel that something was not right, and we came back to the road, and found it totally empty. I enquired with the guys around, and was told that it was towed away (my brand new alto xfun). So after a lot of enquiries found the place where it was, and went and spoke to the officer inside. So after paying the fine, I asked him why was it towed away, when there was no board indicating the same. Prompt came the reply stating "In Delhi, any place that does not have a Parking Board is to be considered as a No Parking area". Though I was not sure of this, it sounded a bit far fetched. Since Delhi being the capital there could be a lot of tourists or others passing through, and there is no way they would be aware of such notifications!! Also there should be clear signage especially for a location like Raj Ghat as to where the parking and other facilities are. In fact I had just moved to Gurgaon, and my stay there was actually less than a year.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I'm happy the Bangalore police is taking all kinds of violations very seriously, even though it may seem minor to us. Its only this way we will get any order on our roads, with most people thinking everything from signal breaking to no parking to driving on the wrong side of the roads are 'small things'.
Not all of them.

I parked my car right next to Hotel Empire in Church Street road just before 3pm along with some 25 other cars. When I returned by 3.30pm, all other cars were gone and mine was locked. They placed a notice on windshield with a phone number. I rang up them and met the inspector. I was in a hurry to leave the place, paid Rs. 200 and he happily sent his person to release lock.

Later I came to know that these hotels pay to inspectors and they allow parking till 3pm. What rule is that?

Last edited by coolclouds : 12th December 2014 at 16:28.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:15   #110
Team-BHP Support

Reporting from ground zero... Jayanagar. Cops are going around announcing that illegally parked cars will be caught and drivers will lose DL. On the way here I saw hundreds of cars parked illegally. Police must feel like kids at candy shop.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:20   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Reporting from ground zero... Jayanagar. Cops are going around announcing that illegally parked cars will be caught and drivers will lose DL. On the way here I saw hundreds of cars parked illegally. Police must feel like kids at candy shop.
Jayanagar is a gold mine for this drive. There are hardly any officially 'designated' parking lots, though there's plenty of space in the wide by-lanes that's NOT marked 'No Parking'. All fair game now, I guess.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:44   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
"In Delhi, any place that does not have a Parking Board is to be considered as a No Parking area".
Not only in Delhi, any place should be considered as a non parking area unless a " Parking" board is placed. This is what was explained by Traffic SI of Thrissur, Kerala when they did a no parking drive in Thrissur round years back. According to him, in some places, a non parking board itself will act as an obstruction for free flow of traffic.[/quote]
Old 12th December 2014, 17:17   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not only in Delhi, any place should be considered as a non parking area unless a " Parking" board is placed. This is what was explained by Traffic SI of Thrissur, Kerala when they did a no parking drive in Thrissur round years back. According to him, in some places, a non parking board itself will act as an obstruction for free flow of traffic.
India is a signatory to Geneva traffic convention. That has specific rules. Like where parking without a "no parking board" is illegal etc.,
This does not come under that. Just because some cop says it should be X, does not make it X.

But all over India cops go make arbitrary rules. For example MVA states that left turn prohibited unless no infiltration left sign is there is no free left turn sign is there or a red light for left turn. Still, CHD cops challan people for left turns where there is no such board.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2014 at 17:19.
Old 12th December 2014, 17:27   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

I just noticed that in Bangalore's Kammanahalli 5th Main Road, 'No Parking' boards have sprung up recently, every 50 feet or so.

This road has the rear entrance of Sena Vihar*, resulting in several people (either occupants or visitors) parking their vehicles on this road. There are also a few school vans that park overnight here.

I presume this is the prelude to a similar drive that the traffic police are going to initiate here, and I wonder if similar things are happening in other parts of the city.

* This road also leads to the Banaswadi Traffic Police Station, so anyone caught can literally cross the road and walk to the station to settle things... with or without receipt
Old 12th December 2014, 17:48   #115
BHPian

I am quite intrigued by many people saying that the out of proportion punishment handed out in this case is required for compliance with laws. I strongly disagree. Is that the kind of society you want to live in? While the op is in the wrong here, the punishment is not at all proportional to the offence. It is not fair, simple. As rightly pointed out, it is a 'draconian' approach, it is not going to yield any results in the long run.
wantarangerover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 18:43   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
India is a signatory to Geneva traffic convention. That has specific rules. Like where parking without a "no parking board" is illegal etc.,
This does not come under that. Just because some cop says it should be X, does not make it X.

But all over India cops go make arbitrary rules. For example MVA states that left turn prohibited unless no infiltration left sign is there is no free left turn sign is there or a red light for left turn. Still, CHD cops challan people for left turns where there is no such board.
The law is what I say it is!

Incidentally, is Delhi part of India or not? I thought an All India Permit means exactly that, but no in Delhi. A cabbie needs an additional permit from Delhi RTO!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th December 2014 at 18:55. Reason: Edited to keep discussion on topic.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 00:34   #117
BHPian

Quote:

I wonder how strictly this will be followed this weekend. Every weekend I see hordes and hordes of cars parked in Jayanagar 4th block - in and around the shopping complex and parallel lanes. I have also seen the challan being religiously stuck to the driver side window pane. Which has also been religiously plucked and crumbled and thrown on the sidewalk. The rule if enforced should be uniform to all offenders.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:04   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
I. Which has also been religiously plucked and crumbled and thrown on the sidewalk. The rule if enforced should be uniform to all offenders.
Even if one threw the notice, the police will have their records, which after seven days will be registered in their online database as a pending offence. So just throwing won't work

Quote:
You bet. On the other hand I want to know how many licences really got seized and how many vehicles were fined. As said before, along with strict rules, there should be equality in enforcement. Let them show their strength on a car with a flagpost or a green striped number plate I will appreciate their efforts.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:13   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not only in Delhi, any place should be considered as a non parking area unless a " Parking" board is placed.
This will create massive chaos considering "Parking" board exists in only major roads. What happens in minor roads and cross roads where no board exists?

Yesterday I had to visit Jayanagar with family for my son's annual day event. The event was in JSS Hall, and we were there quite early to ensure we get parking. Alas... that convention hall had no parking at all. A hall that can host 500 people, opened directly into the road, relying entirely on street parking. We found a side street with no boards at all, and parked there. Lots of others had parked on the main road, even next to "No parking" board. There were no "Parking" boards anywhere in the vicinity. This is like playing Russian roulette with our DL. Even getting taxi is tough since Government has cancelled all App based cabs.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 14:19   #120
BHPian

Sorry for your ordeal.

Once again Sorry to say that Most of the rules in India are meant only for the Common Man & Law abiding Citizens. BTP, Now equipped with Blackberries and Networked, can easily find out repeated offenders. So, punishing a first time offender is wrong. I can agree, If you'd parked on a busy road or a Main Road.

Stringent Rules always give fuel for Corruption. The Point based system is better than confiscating License of a First Time Offender.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks