Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 14:47   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

Come January 2015 and the Cops will go back to their usual routine. This, dare I say, is a 'mass-collection' of sorts, for their New Year Bash.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th December 2014 at 14:50.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 15:17   #122
Senior - BHPian

I am totally against this move of cancelling licence of first time offenders. The offence can be recorded in the licence by punching and for repeated offence the license can be cancelled. KA state licence has provision/scope to punch four violations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This will create massive chaos considering "Parking" board exists in only major roads. What happens in minor roads and cross roads where no board exists?

Yesterday I had to visit Jayanagar with family for my son's annual day event. The event was in JSS Hall, and we were there quite early to ensure we get parking. Alas... that convention hall had no parking at all. A hall that can host 500 people, opened directly into the road, relying entirely on street parking. We found a side street with no boards at all, and parked there. Lots of others had parked on the main road, even next to "No parking" board. There were no "Parking" boards anywhere in the vicinity. This is like playing Russian roulette with our DL. Even getting taxi is tough since Government has cancelled all App based cabs.
It would be a good idea in such cases to park at the nearest TTMC and catch an Auto or Bus. Most of commercial centers in Bangalore have TTMCs.

Last edited by poloman : 13th December 2014 at 15:22.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 17:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Cancelling DLs won't work out because of the sheer numbers. In one of the previous posts pointing out to a report in The Hindu, there were 11 lac NP violations this year - that works out to around 1 lac per month, or 3000 per day.

If they're sending 3000 DL cancellations to say approximately 10 RTOs that's around 300-400 cancellations per day for the ARTO to take care of - and this is simply impossible. He will have to hear out the person before cancelling the license - assuming that he does follow the provisions in the MV Act . DL cancellations will start to pile up and the ARTOs will give up after some time.

People will also start approaching the courts, obtain stay orders - something the cops or the RTOs can't cope with over time. BTP was cancelling DLs for using mobile a few months ago - and the mobile violations are far less. But I see nothing has changed - people happily use mobiles all the while driving. This drive won't last for more than a few weeks.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th December 2014 at 17:58.
sdp1975 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 21:10   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Cancelling DLs won't work out because of the sheer numbers. In one of the previous posts pointing out to a report in The Hindu, there were 11 lac NP violations this year - that works out to around 1 lac per month, or 3000 per day.

If they're sending 3000 DL cancellations to say approximately 10 RTOs that's around 300-400 cancellations per day for the ARTO to take care of - and this is simply impossible. He will have to hear out the person before cancelling the license - assuming that he does follow the provisions in the MV Act . DL cancellations will start to pile up and the ARTOs will give up after some time.

People will also start approaching the courts, obtain stay orders - something the cops or the RTOs can't cope with over time. BTP was cancelling DLs for using mobile a few months ago - and the mobile violations are far less. But I see nothing has changed - people happily use mobiles all the while driving. This drive won't last for more than a few weeks.
And in these few weeks these lot will make crores in bribes or parking fines, not to mention harass people to no end, scare them with consequences like they have committed a murder. The driver of a Non KA car will go through even more trouble because how things work in Namma Bengluru.

An apt line for BTP

"Baithe Baithe kya kare, hai nahi kuuch kaam, shuru karte hai extortion giri, leke law ka naam"
Old 14th December 2014, 12:36   #125
BHPian

well, this issue has come up in papers. But I went to Jayanagar on friday, I saw lots of vehicles parked just next to "No Parking" sign board. Do not know whether this is a good move for personal vehicles, but definitely a good move for cabs. Most of the cab drivers are least bothered about whatever is happening around them. Atleast they will not park in places where there is huge traffic flow. Attached is the news that came on news paper

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6683504.ece
Old 14th December 2014, 12:43   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
On the other hand of they really enforce this then the above number will fall drastically. Its the same with every traffic law. For example sun films. All cars had them and one could argue that taking them all down would be next to impossible. But once they started a mass drive with penalties and all, today hardly any car has them on ( ofcourse a handful of people will always like to stay on the wrong side of the law). Same goes for seat belts. So I don't see a reason why within a month of this drive, people will literally stop parking on the road unless they are double sure that it is a designated parking spot. However they do need to mark and unmark the spaces properly so that the driver knows if that area is legally a No park zone.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:31   #127
Senior - BHPian

Well, the OP seems to be a guinea pig in the testing of Cancellation of Licences.

Today's Times of India reported this:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/45517547.cms

Quote:
The Road Transport and Safety Bill has proposed Rs 2,500 fine for first offence and Rs 5,000 for repeat offence, if a vehicle is caught parked on a stretch meant for cyclists and pedestrians. The fine would be double, if anyone is caught driving a vehicle on such lanes.

Taking a lead, Bengaluru traffic police has cancelled over 3,000 licences of two-wheeler drivers caught driving on footpaths over the last one year.
Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone-capture.jpg
Old 15th December 2014, 13:47   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Well, the OP seems to be a guinea pig in the testing of Cancellation of Licences.

Today's Times of India reported this:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/45517547.cms

Attachment 1318574
While I'd probably sympathize with someone caught unawares by a 'No Parking' scenario, especially in a city notorious for creating such zones at whim, I have absolutely no sympathy for people willingly riding bikes on footpaths and putting pedestrians at risk. I've had some confrontations with such morons over the years in Bangalore, and they not only endanger pedestrians with their reckless behavior, but actually have the temerity to 'honk' to get space.

Canceling their license is actually lenient in my opinion. Their bikes should be impounded and scrapped, and they should be booked for rash and negligent driving for good measure.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2014 at 13:52.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 14:34   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Road Transport and Safety Bill has proposed Rs 2,500 fine for first offence and Rs 5,000 for repeat offence, if a vehicle is caught parked on a stretch meant for cyclists and pedestrians. The fine would be double, if anyone is caught driving a vehicle on such lanes.
Folks, this could get much more trickier than it seems now. I'm not sure what comes under the definition of "pedestrian/cyclist lane" but my guess is that the space to left of the first lane on the roads, as marked by the continuous white/yellow line could be interpreted as a pedestrian lane.

Any thoughts?
Old 15th December 2014, 14:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Folks, this could get much more trickier than it seems now. I'm not sure what comes under the definition of "pedestrian/cyclist lane" but my guess is that the space to left of the first lane on the roads, as marked by the continuous white/yellow line could be interpreted as a pedestrian lane.
Any thoughts?
The pedestrian lane can be defined only by a Footpath.
The cyclist lane is a tricky affair.

The catch is to be careful while parking. There should not be any explicit signboard or no parking (or Blue with Red Line).
I, in general have started asking shopkeepers whether I can park my vehicle or not. Normally they would be generous and tell you the truth. Else they can misguide you to keep the front of their shop empty.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 14:43   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Any thoughts?
Some areas in Bangalore (Jayanagar, J.P. Nagar) have dedicated marked cycle lanes, though most of them are encroached for parking or by other vehicles. Provided the zones are clearly demarcated, I'm all for the crackdown. We're too selfish and self-centered to share limited roads reasonably with others unless we're forced to do so. Unfortunate but true.

Quote:
The catch is to be careful while parking.
When forced to park on the street, I usually try to park as close to a parking sign as possible. In my paranoia, I've sometimes even clicked a pic of the car & sign just in case some overzealous policeman takes it in his head to punish me nonetheless.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2014 at 14:46.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 14:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The catch is to be careful while parking. There should not be any explicit signboard or no parking (or Blue with Red Line).
Absence of a No Parking board need not be permission to park. That is precisely my question. With this cyclist lane definition getting into the rule book and majority of the cops having no idea what a cyclist lane looks like, they are very likely to start harassing motorists who park anywhere except under the parking sign.
Old 15th December 2014, 19:05   #133
BHPian

Apparently, things are hitting new lows.
Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone-2134.jpg
(From BTP's FB wall)
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 20:56   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Apparently, things are hitting new lows.
Attachment 1318838
(From BTP's FB wall)
Guess this will reach the court and the police will be slammed for such Reckless' enforcement of rules. Its like catching the small fish and letting go of the big ones. I appreciate the methods BTP tries to implement, but sometimes its going overboard. When they cant differentiate between stopping and parking, how can their action be justified? This will lead to random seizures of licences. That's the issue.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 22:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Publishing some notification online isn't the approved way, right? The notification must at least be published in prominent newspapers and locations in the city?

This is hopeless.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks