Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 23:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

While I am all for promoting cycling, I feel that the current infrastructure just doesn't support the Cycle Lane concept in Bangalore.

Consider the road from Garuda Swagath Mall towards Jayanagar 4th Block. It's a tiny road in the first place. In the midst of this, they create Cycle Lanes and make the usable portion of the road even smaller. Creating further traffic jams by creating a lane that barely anyone uses.

The Cycle Lane in my opinion, is more fashion, less function.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 15th December 2014 at 23:45.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 21:45   #137
Senior - BHPian

I wish DTPs Satyendra Garg takes a leaf from B Dayananda's book, and institutes similar measures to curb willful violators that make Delhi roads such a mess to drive on.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:49   #138
Team-BHP Support

So... now "No Parking" offence is not one of the DL cancelling violation.

Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone-10856503_783175068414869_6786960203488810838_o.jpg
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:37   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

^^It really seems as if BTP is making the rules as they go along. Makes me glad I don't live in Bangalore anymore. Losing your DL over a parking violation is outrageous.

A thought experiment if you will: so what happens to someone who parks illegally and loses his license? Is he expected to sell his car and take public transport? What about recourse to the law- if there is a dispute whether the offence was committed at all? There are cases above where drivers have had DLs confiscated for waiting (not even parking) on an unmarked street where the new "No parking" regulation had been posted online, for Godssakes!

Are we living in a police state? Don't we have any civil liberties at all? What are the intelligentsia of Bangalore doing?
noopster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 01:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Wow, loved points 7 and 8. Open ended enough to extract maximum moolah from anyone they want. Would be wonderful if the rules are actually implemented with honesty.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:08   #141
BHPian

I've asked them for a clarification on their FB page, since I just went through this. I hope they provide some clarity - https://www.facebook.com/BangaloreTr...83768285022214
Old 29th January 2015, 22:21   #142
Senior - BHPian

Update:
I got my DL back. RTO had effectively suspended it for a week's time.
I went though an agent I knew and took couple of visits, following up and waiting for few hours to get it back.

BTW, I did not see major crowd in the RTO office for this type offence and it is clear that they must be catching handful of offenders among the few hundred people who must be committing 'no parking' violation everyday.
Guna is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 16:18   #143
BHPian

Thought so. I've been uploading pictures of parking-on-the-footpath violations on Public Eye web site. I don't see any changes: the same cars continue to come back the next day and park on the footpath. It was a short-lived knee-jerk reaction and treated the same way cars with sun-films are treated these days: inaction.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 22:27   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Update:
I got my DL back. RTO had effectively suspended it for a week's time........
Did you by any chance inquire what they plan to do with repeat offenders?

I may not agree with knee-jerk disproportionate punishments (like handed out in this instance), but it would be interesting to know if they have a staggered setup with increasing penalties for repeat offences.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Did you by any chance inquire what they plan to do with repeat offenders?

I may not agree with knee-jerk disproportionate punishments (like handed out in this instance), but it would be interesting to know if they have a staggered setup with increasing penalties for repeat offences.
Note sure, it could be a longer period of suspension (like 6 months) and eventually permanent cancellations.
Old 31st January 2015, 11:37   #146
BHPian

An important idea learnt in law when people prepare for UPSC exams and such is that it's not the extent of punishment that deters one from committing a crime but the certainty of punishment. Where do such ideas which were learnt during the preparation go once one becomes a lawmaker or an enforcer?
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 21:26   #147
BHPian

Shortly after this thread was started, No Parking signs sprouted all over south Bangalore. Even roads that are broad enough for parking on one side, many side streets that can take one lane of parking, open spaces, etc. It's like they made the rule and then wanted to ensure they caught the maximum number for violating it.

Response by BTP to Abhi's Facebook post indicates this weird rule is still in force. I'm not going to risk parking in a no parking spot.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

While I was caught parking in a 'no parking' area, I continue to see number of vehicles being parked in crowded roads which are marked with 'No Parking' and cops turning a blind eye. My observation was normally in the evening peak hour. One of the days, I had stepped out during noon time when the traffic was not so dense and there were very few vehicles parked here and there in those no parking zones. And I saw the cops busy seizing those cars.
Now I know the pattern. Looks like it is perfectly OK (according to cops) to park during busy hours but it is not OK to park during non-busy hours, because it is so convenient for the cops to take action during this time. Cops after all can't deal with problem of plenty but they can manage odd cases.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:26   #149
BHPian

Driving license confiscated!

My driving license has been confiscated by Delhi Traffic Police for over speeding. Apparently, I was driving at 62 kmph whereas the speed limit was 50 kmph. There were a bunch of traffic police guys right next to the flyover (Delhi Cant, near Tihar Jail), where I was descending from. They charged me with Rs 400 as fine and took my license too. I was told that I can collect the same after 90 days from my districts police station. Can anyone who has been in similar situation share their experience and any advice that you may have?
Old 1st December 2017, 09:32   #150
BHPian

Re: Driving license confiscated!

Here in bangalore, cops don't confiscate the license unless your way beyond the limit and the speeds that you mentioned are also reasonable. Are you sure that we are hearing the whole story and the numbers mentioned by you are accurate.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks