Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 19:56   #16
BHPian

re: List of avoidable holiday spots & sightseeing places!

Mt Abu is avoidable at any cost. there is nothing to see, no good places to eat. It is pretty crowded all the time and the rates are very high, especially during public holidays. The drive up is good but reckless motorists make it worthless.

Both Daman and Diu have nothing much to offer. Yes, Diu has good beaches, but not Daman. But food (non-veg) is damn good in both these places.

Mall Road is a stretch where there are no vehicles. For people coming from places like Ahmedabad it will be a welcome change

Yes, it is crowded and the shops on both sides are hopeless. We were looking for some souvenir but found none and in the process lost half a day.

Parking is not just difficult in Shimla but impossible in most places.

In popular tourists spots, things are a bit difficult due to the nexus between taxi drivers, guides, authorities etc. Wa have to give in to their 'advice' or find the going a bit difficult

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2015 at 17:49. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion there are 2 factors that make a place avoidable.

1. Actually over-hyped places

2. Places that become avoidable purely due to the crowd.

For example: During any long weekend, any place drivable from Bangalore is packed and hence it pretty much becomes an unpleasant experience. Places like Mysore, Coorg, Wayand, Ooty which in general are good places to visit become totally avoidable during these seasons.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 22:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
2) Sam dunes - Too many tourists and filth. We dint go there for that reason. Instead we went to some other dunes by renting a chauffeured 4wd for half a day. Alternately, there is are really big dunes on the way to Tanot/Longewala and hardly anyone stops there. It was great.

3) Great Rann of Kutch: There are too many tourists here and too much filth is thrown around. If you are not staying over, it is absolute waste of time. You cant even take a decent picture without loads of tourists showing in the frame, behind you. Kala dungar promised a great view from the top but we weren't impressed. You may opt to go to Dholavira instead. You will find white Rann on the way, a lot more pristine and without a single tourist at most times. Then once at Dholavira, go to the temple at the end of the island. There is a BSF post and a temple, with a chaiwala. From here you can see the great Rann of kutch and one of the most serene sunsets.

What is your list?
I don't know about this. To me each place is unique and if you have time to spend it can be an enjoyable experience.

I visited Sam in 1997, with my parents, and hardly remember anything now - don't even have a decent picture to show for it. But I know it was my first trip to a desert and sand dune and my first camel ride. There was something about the place that I developed a deep love for deserts and I have spent countless hours driving around aimlessly in many of them.

I was in Kutch in 2013. I stayed in a tent resort Shaam-e-Sharhad http://www.hodka.in/ - It was great!!. Did the usual tourist places you mentioned plus visited some villages. Was really entertained by a bunch of (really) wild asses. But what will stay with me most is the night sky - Away from all sources of light pollution I have never seen such a clear sky with so many stars.

Last edited by dj78 : 15th January 2015 at 22:34. Reason: corrected name
dj78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 22:34   #19
BHPian

On our recent road-trip to Rajasthan, 5 fellow BHPians and I decided to bunk at Chittorgarh for a day. The plan was simple; drive from Ranthambore to Chittorgarh early morning, check-in by afternoon and visit the "famous" fort in the evening.

Even before I get to the mediocrity of the place, let me tell you the "guides" will breathe down your neck and push you to the ragged edge of going insane. You might think I'm making stuff up. YOU WISH I WAS! Chittorgarh and the Fort is heavily heavily over-rated. We bought tickets for the "Lights and Sound Show" at the Fort. One word: BORING. 10 minutes in, you'll find yourself staring at your smartphone.

EDIT: The guide also gave me interesting gyaan on how Shivaji Maharaj and Maharana Pratap were brothers. Yeah, right!

Cheers.

Last edited by Cartman : 15th January 2015 at 22:36.
Cartman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 00:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting.
My take on avoidable hill stations are,er,all of them.
Shimla?
Go a little further and stay in shilon bagh.
Mussoorie?
Go on to dhanaulti.
Nainital?
Binsar/ bhumiadhar much better.

But,of course, I like my peace and quiet, and that's what these places offer. The bigger hill stations with the mall roads, and waking stick shops, video game arcades, and the tremendous crowds, some people may like that kind of vacation, but I prefer the quiet.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 02:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

My list:

Avoid any temple which needs you to take a bath in the river. This practise is supposed to be you taking a dip and not washing your undergarments in soap. Its outright yuck when you need to go with it and finally end up in a common hall to change clothes.

Avoid temples during long weekends. The crowd will kill the fun and Gods line will be busy for him to hear you out.

Juhu beach: Been in mumbai for 3 years and the only thing you get to see is the pani puri vendors. My friend played in the water and got her feet all dark and dirty.

Raja seat on a weekend. (you will end up spending more time in traffic)

Daman beach: Outright dirty and only worth watching rather than jumping in the water.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 09:32   #22
BHPian

Hi

Of the recent trips, I would like to avoid

1. Mussoorie, specially the Kempty Falls, which looks like a remote village water kingdom. Even the much hyped Dhanaulti is good but well Mumbai has numerous such ghat location (Off course not as cold as Dhanaulti)
2. Nainital - Too crowded, Head for Binsar
3. Bhimtal- Poorly managed and dirty.
4. Manali town- Do not stay in crowed town. Choose resort or hotel located along Beas river and away from so called Lousy Mall Road.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
3. Siddhivinayak temple. If you have a religious bent of mind and want to worship, by all means go ahead. But if you are going for touristic interest, then avoid. There is nothing extraordinary about this temple. It is a modern structure with no artistic value.
I was with a friend when I was going inside. First they frisked me for camera and then I saw the queue. Backed off and went to Performance Racing Store & Bachoo to shop for riding gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
4. Digha, near Kolkata - rocky, overcrowded and dirty. How can one enjoy at such a place? Mandarmani and Tajpur near it are infinitely better places to enjoy
Agree completely. Same about Puri (heard about it, didn't see it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
2. Shimla, Himachal Pradesh : The most Overhyped place in Himachal Pradesh. The Mall road is just a road with shops on both sides, some branded shops as well. You have pizza hut, dominos and what not! You can get both these things at any of the markets in your city. Plus, the same parking headache associated with those markets! Always Crowded.
It is same at most touristy places. Same. Treat Shimla as your gateway place & decide your destination from there or before arriving/bypassing Shimla.

Religious Places - Ruined by priests. Period. The problem this side is, instead of Darshan, there is Poojan and it is chaos. Plus the priest will try to milk you. And then, it is just too crowded. Too much to tolerate on an empty stomach.

Apt thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Interesting.

The bigger hill stations with the mall roads, and waking stick shops, video game arcades, and the tremendous crowds, some people may like that kind of vacation, but I prefer the quiet.
+1 And I am thankful to that crowd. They help in making quaint places just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
My list:

Avoid any temple which needs you to take a bath in the river. This practise is supposed to be you taking a dip and not washing your undergarments in soap. Its outright yuck when you need to go with it and finally end up in a common hall to change clothes.

Avoid temples during long weekends. The crowd will kill the fun and Gods line will be busy for him to hear you out.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th January 2015 at 09:39.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 09:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

The most avoidable place which comes as a ready reckon-er in my mind is Mussoorie. Absolutely nothing there to roam around and total waste of time. pl plan some other place more worthy.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
1. Most famous temples/religious destinations (I won't name any names lest someone takes offense): I'm agnostic myself, but even from a devout person's POV, I simply don't get the lure of jostling in claustrophobic spaces (at some temples for several hours), and then get roughly pushed out without getting a proper 'darshan'. Most people I speak to (including family members) sheepishly agree that they sometimes don't even get a proper look at the deity before being pushed out.
+1 on that. Instead of going to a over hyped, over crowded temple/religious destination, I prefer going to a temple that offers me peace, seclusion. Himachal has in abundance both types of temples, overcrowded ones being the Naina Devi temple, Jawala ji, Baijnath, etc. and among lesser known, a temple at the top of Hatu peak in Narkanda is my favorite. It is so calm, serene, offers great views of the valley around and is historic too. As per the priest at the temple, it was built by the Pandavas of the Mahabharta fame
Old 16th January 2015, 10:24   #26
BHPian

I feel with the way we Indians behave while travelling, most of the beautiful places in India will eventually end up on this list.

I am not confident of any quick behavioural change in us and hence I think the Government has to enforce strict rules to save our pristine natural places.

Tourism in India has the potential to generate high revenues only if the government focuses on intricate details.
trek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:35   #27
BHPian

Well, Here's my list.
1. Baga Beach Goa - Have no idea why so many people visit there, the food is grossly overpriced and you sit like you are sitting in a Ahata in Gurgaon with tables stacked so close to each other that you become a part of multiple conversations.

2. Mussorie - As has been specified by many, simply not worth it. Overpriced hotels, parking issues and what not. Better to stay in Dehradun and do a day trip to Dhanaulti.

3. Shimla - Again overcrowded, no parking, steep hotel tarriffs.

4. Kanyakumari - Absolutely nothing here, better to just reach there if you really want to touch the so called southern tip and then head to rameshwaram to visit Dhanushkodi.

5. Lonavla- It's no fun seeing kms and kms of traffic jam to end up among thousands enjoying a waterfall, better is if you manage to wade through the traffic at Bhushi Dam go upto Amby Valley, some really nice secluded spots on the way.

6. Agra - Man what a mess this city is in, right from the long lines for the Taj entry to the stinking Yamuna flowing there.

7. Mount Abu - It's only a place for people from Gujarat to come, enjoy and go back. People who have been up in the Himalayas should avoid this place. Traffic, traffic & more traffic.

8. Jaisalmer - Very overhyped, the dunes are nice but one should visit early in the morning to avoid the crowd. The fort, well there's nothing to see once you enter except for shops, houses & more shops.

9. Gokarna - Have no idea what people like so much about OM Beach, you are not allowed to enter the waters, the only shack there closes at 5 PM. !! I did not like it and left for Palolem after spending 30 mins there, or maybe I missed something that others have seen?

10. Leh - The city becomes so overcrowded in July-August. Best to travel in June or in September. I was once stuck at khardungla for 3 hours as there was a traffic jam there.

Last edited by bblost : 16th January 2015 at 12:17. Reason: Rule 11.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I feel with the way we Indians behave while travelling, most of the beautiful places in India will eventually end up on this list.

I am not confident of any quick behavioural change in us and hence I think the Government has to enforce strict rules to save our pristine natural places.

Tourism in India has the potential to generate high revenues only if the government focuses on intricate details.

You are absolutely right. It is the case with every famous holiday spots around india. The govt. can do little about it. It is a reflection of our civic sense. Only the next generation can make a difference , provided we train them properly. It should be made part of carriculum not just maths and chemistry.

Last edited by swathyd : 16th January 2015 at 10:47.
swathyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:56   #29
BHPian

Great thread.

All "tourist spots" in Mumbai should be on this list. I get asked by visiting friends and relatives as to which places they should visit in Mumbai. I cannot recommend anything other than malls, pubs, cinemas, etc.

"...Chowpatty jayenge, bhel puri khayenge..." Never, ever do that.

Avoid Elephanta Caves...nuisance to get there, there is only 1 worthwhile cave which you will finish with in 5 minutes (unless you are an archaeologist).

Personal opinion here - Madame Tussaud's in London. Found it to be quite a bizarre place. While the wax lookalikes are good, it's just crazy with tourists posing with statues of some pop stars and actors. I went there twice - once alone and once with family. With family, it's bearable; going alone found it quite dreadful.
reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice thread! Off the back of my head:

- Munnar: Surprised? Let me finish first. For anyone from Mumbai etc. who has been to the likes of Mahabaleshwar, Munnar doesn't offer anything new. I've seen more beauty in Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani. The drive up the super long ghats is also taxing...IIRC, it took 4 hours of slow, curvy roads to get there (both times I was in a taxi Innova).
Completely agree. We had been Munnar 10-12 years back and found really boring. Unless you stay in fancy resort there is nothing much to do. It might be a decent for people from Kerala, but what works against Munnar for others is travel to worthiness factor!

And these days most of the popular hill stations be it Shimla, Ooty, Manali all are getting too crowded which is deteriorating the worthiness. Most of the popular tourists places in India have all become good to visit once only.

Down South most of the popular tourists places are highly commercialized and as somebody mentioned earlier is highly recommended to avoid during long weekends/holidays, unless you stay in a place .

Some more places to avoid or suggestions:
1. Pondicherry: Literally nothing. Apart from small French colony(which is also nothing great ) there is nothing much to see. I would prefer west coast beaches any day.
2. Kodaikanal: Apart from the weather nothing worth seeing. Bangalore has bigger and better lakes. Recommended only for honey moon couples if you stay in a good resort.
3. Yercaud: Pretty bad, i think only Yelagiri is worser than this.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed