Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!

The 'Pongal' (Makar Sankranti) day this year started with a bang!! I mean, literally.

Little Background:
My house is the 4th building of a dead-end street with around 25-30 houses on each side. Putting it in a different way, my house is at the start of the street with considerably less traffic - because of vehicles of those residing in the street. Also, the street is quite wide enough that even after parking a car, a jumbo truck can easily pass through with good amount of space left.

Now that I have given a prelude, let me start:
On the night of 14th Jan, I had as usual parked my car in front of my house - parallel to the compound wall and quite close to it as well - and slept off. The next day when I peeped from the first floor, I was surprised to see my car parked at an angle of around 45-degrees to the wall. Only when I came down did I realize the enormity of the situation and got to know what had happened overnight.

A elderly (50+) person belonging to my street (whose house is at the other end) had rammed my car around midnight. None of us in my home were aware of this until he himself came very early in the morning (even before anyone in our family came out of the home to see the horror) to apologize and accepted to bear the cost of the repair. So heavy was the impact that the car had turned more than 45-degrees, hitting the compound wall and damaging the wall too.

This person has got a used-car just recently (a second-hand Hy.Accent) and was taken for a drive by his son in our neighborhood. Just after entering our street around midnight, he has thought of trying his hands in driving - has stopped diagonally opposite to our house - changed places with his son and has started. All we could understand from what he says is that the moment he started, he has lost the control and BANG!!

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_20150115_081338.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_20150115_081352.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_20150115_081402.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_1993.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_1999.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_20150115_081902.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_1996.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_2000.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_2001.jpg

Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!-img_2002.jpg

He has tried knocking at the gate (locked & does not have access to bell-switch) couple of times immediately. When we did not respond, he has given his number to one of our neighbor who was awake at that point in time asking them to pass it over to us. The next day early in the morning around 5:30am just when my parents were waking up , he came, let them know of this. Obviously, my dad's immediate reaction was that of anger and asked if it was drunk-and-drive and it was a no (which we understand, is true). He has apologized profusely and has accepted to bear the cost of the repair.

Thanks to Gansan sir, who to my luck, happened to be in my area when I called him around 11am and immediately turned up at my house. Upon his advice, tried reaching Maruti Service Masters. But, since their workshop was closed that day (Makar Sankranti/Pongal), they were not ready to take up the car. Called up ABT, Guindy whose workshop was also closed that day - but they were okay to keep the car in their workshop overnight. Since the boot-door glass had come out of the frame, I was concerned to keep the car in my street overnight and opted to send to ABT.

Visited ABT yesterday (16th) morning and have opted to go via my insurance - have given the detail as 'hit-and-run' - offender not known. The surveyor, looks like, did not turn up yesterday and I am told that would turn up today.

The smaller yet significant things:

As I had mentioned, the person who hit my car has got this Hy.Accent just recently and the name transfer hasn't even got completed. With this in mind, I opted to go with my insurance and claim the NCB etc., from him.

Our family and his family have been staying in this street for the past so many years (decade+) and so, we have the trust - though we don't know eac other much personally.

FAQ:
Was he drunk?
No.

Does he hold a valid license?
Honestly, didn't check on that.

You guys didn't hear anything when this happened?
Surprisingly, yes.

Got scratches because of hitting the tree on the left side?
No. The left rear had hit the wall heavily and so the driver side door escaped from the tree by hair's breadth.

How old is your car?
My car is 6+ years old (May'08).

Went for FIR/CSR?
Till now, no. The SA said its not mandatory.

Was the rear boot-door glass cracked/damaged.
No.

Certain questions:
1. Primarily and most importantly - Have I taken the right approach in dealing this?

2. Is there anything that I should take care of w.r.t. claims from insurance, claims from him etc.

3. Coming to the car - when we moved the car, we noticed that the left-rear tire was wobbling (bent) - the top portion of the wheel has taken the hit and has gone in. I have told this to the SA. What could be the problem and what is to be taken care of?

4. Any other significant stuff that I might have to keep a close watch on.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by callvvijay : 17th January 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Spell-check / Wrong mention of dates.
callvvijay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 15:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!

Vijay, that is a nasty hit. The damage is substantial. However, from what I can see in the pictures, the monocoque is intact. Hence, looks like the change of outer panels will bring back the car to former glory. The rear suspension, the cross beam and the lateral/ sway rod *from the pictures which I can see* look okay to me. These are my observations based on the pictures you posted.

Now coming to your questions:

1. Your approach is fine - just that you should re-frame this statement - "have given the detail as 'hit-and-run' - offender not known." Just ask the mods or edit your post to re-frame it to something as you have chosen to get the repair done out of your own insurance and recover the NCB plus other costs from the offender. What you wrote is politically not correct, in my opinion for a public forum.

2. Apart from the difference amount (actual cost less insurance cover), you need to make it clear about NCB loss, however, that may not be substantial for a 6 year old car as the insurance amount itself might not be much. Plus, NCB is only on the own damage part which is even lesser. Work out the math, it's all on the policy papers.

3. Looks like the wobble is due to bent rims. I think both rear rims will need a change. Do not go for repair of rims. Not worth.

4. Insist on changing the rear hatch than repair. Since the windshield beading area has been hit, repair can lead to water seepage in rains. Check for damages to rear suspension, axles and sway/ lateral rod. Your rear wheel bearings may also need a change in my opinion with the obvious bumper and the tail lamp. You will also not be able to salvage the TBHP sticker on the hatch

Do keep us updated on the repair job.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 17th January 2015 at 15:35.
saket77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 15:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

This does not look like a very big hit. The fact that your reaction was controlled helped in avoiding blame game or chaos.
However, why your insruance ? Where ever you get the car repaired, just ask the other person to pay at that place. This is probably a better option.

I must also say that the other individual involved behaved very well and admitted his fault.

Try to have a word with him and ask him to pay, keep your insurance untouched. Get rear suspension checked and change rear hatch + windscreen.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th January 2015 at 15:46.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 16:20   #4
BHPian

I think what you've done is right. Claiming insurance and getting the 'b' party to pay the your side contribution towards the repair + NCB is the fair thing to do. This is what we have insurance for - accidental damage.
The 'b' party has been responsible enough to inform you about the incident - so it's good to be fair! Imagine if it was just a hit and run!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 16:38   #5
BANNED

Oh! Get the guy to pay the damages though it was a good gesture for them to come and contact you for the incident rather than shying away as most do!

Parts that need change:

1) Tail gate
2) Rear windscreen
3) Tail lamp
4) Rear bumper
5) Denting of the C-pillar area near the tail lamp part and also the wheel arc near the left rear tyre.

How is the rear left door? I can see a nick there.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 00:21   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot to all of you for your reply/advice.

Got a call from the SA and was told that the surveyor had accepted the claim and the work will start from Monday. It would take a week to 10 days time to get the job done.

In the meantime, this person (it's difficult to refer him every time as "the person who had hit my car") came to my home and we (along with my family members) had a lengthy casual talk. I have informed him about the estimates and also about the NCB-portion of my insurance. He even offered to pay me some amount in advance, if needed, which I have refused now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
1. Your approach is fine - just that you should re-frame this statement - "have given the detail as 'hit-and-run' - offender not known." Just ask the mods or edit your post to re-frame it to something as you have chosen to get the repair done out of your own insurance and recover the NCB plus other costs from the offender. What you wrote is politically not correct, in my opinion for a public forum.

Do keep us updated on the repair job.

Regards.
I actually intended to say the same thing as you have mentioned here - that, I have given the explanation in the insurance form as "when the car was parked in front of the house, someone has hit the car in the middle of the night and we are not sure of who it is". Since I was mentioning in my post about the statement given in the claim-form, I did not explain about the claim from the person who had hit my car. I'm sorry if it looks inappropriate.

Mods: Request you to edit my post appropriately, if it looks incorrect.

Quote:
2. Apart from the difference amount (actual cost less insurance cover), you need to make it clear about NCB loss, however, that may not be substantial for a 6 year old car as the insurance amount itself might not be much. Plus, NCB is only on the own damage part which is even lesser. Work out the math, it's all on the policy papers.
Yep., not a very high amount. NCB, in my last year's policy, was around Rs.1200/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The fact that your reaction was controlled helped in avoiding blame game or chaos.
The fact that we did not witness the incident first-hand helped us to ease out the tension. I'm, in one way, happy that we did not wake up when he knocked our door at midnight. We also did not lose our sleep.

Quote:
However, why your insruance ? Where ever you get the car repaired, just ask the other person to pay at that place. This is probably a better option.

I must also say that the other individual involved behaved very well and admitted his fault.

Try to have a word with him and ask him to pay, keep your insurance untouched. Get rear suspension checked and change rear hatch + windscreen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
I think what you've done is right. Claiming insurance and getting the 'b' party to pay the your side contribution towards the repair + NCB is the fair thing to do. This is what we have insurance for - accidental damage.
The 'b' party has been responsible enough to inform you about the incident - so it's good to be fair! Imagine if it was just a hit and run!
It would have been an ordeal if it was a hit-n-run.

As I had mentioned, the name transfer of his car is still in progress and claiming in his insurance would be cumbersome. Secondly, if I have to go via his insurance, I would have to go for a FIR/CSR for sure which, again is a pain.

I know that I will lose on certain benefits (though minimal only) if I go with my insurance. However, went ahead with the same option for a couple of reasons
1. As @nishantbhatia84 has mentioned, what if it had been a hit-and-run?
2. The NCB-portion might hamper my car's resale value, if I intend to sell her in a year or so. But, since my car is already 6+ years old, will that be so high? I don't think so.
3. Agreed that it was purely his fault and he has to shell out money. But, it would definitely be a huge thing to shell out ~45K, when it could be sorted out @ ~10K with a li'l adjustment from my side.

P.S: No. I'm not a saint!

Quote:
3. Looks like the wobble is due to bent rims. I think both rear rims will need a change. Do not go for repair of rims. Not worth.

4. Insist on changing the rear hatch than repair. Since the windshield beading area has been hit, repair can lead to water seepage in rains. Check for damages to rear suspension, axles and sway/ lateral rod. Your rear wheel bearings may also need a change in my opinion with the obvious bumper and the tail lamp.
Regards.
Quote:
Get rear suspension checked and change rear hatch + windscreen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Parts that need change:

1) Tail gate
2) Rear windscreen
3) Tail lamp
4) Rear bumper
5) Denting of the C-pillar area near the tail lamp part and also the wheel arc near the left rear tyre.

How is the rear left door? I can see a nick there.
Thanks everyone here!

Tail gate is going to be changed for sure. There was no way to repair the door for the way it was damaged.

OT 1: However, the culture these days in any A.S.S (not just Maruti's) is "Replace; Don't Repair".

OT 2: Of the 5 doors, its the second door that's getting replaced.

I have asked the SA to check whatever has been mentioned here - rear suspension, axle, sway rod etc. However, these things would be checked post the body-shop work and if necessary the insurance surveyor will be called again to give a re-estimate.

- Wheel rims didn't seem to have got hit - though I will ask it to be checked.
- Rear glass didn't break at all and is intact in the rubber beading.
- Yes, the rear left door has a good nick. Has to be worked upon.

Quote:
You will also not be able to salvage the TBHP sticker on the hatch
Only a month back, my wife was asking me to change the sticker. Wish I had listened to her then. Looks like, it was indeed time for me to change the sticker.

Last edited by callvvijay : 18th January 2015 at 00:27.
callvvijay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 00:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the NCB, there is more to it than meets the eye.
You will be losing the NCB for consecutive years till the NCB percentage reaches the present level, as you will have Nil NCB next year, when you renew the policy because of the claim. That, in other words, you will lose a lot of money (If you have not had any claims previously). Further the loss would be much higher if you have any plan of getting a new car soon.
Therefore, it would be worthwhile, to claim the entire bill from the Person, than claiming insurance.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th January 2015 at 00:36.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 00:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Therefore, it would be worthwhile, to claim the entire bill from the Person, than claiming insurance.
You conveyed it rightly and clearly.

No point in going the insurance way as the money lost is high which is unseen to the normal eye.

As "The person" is ready to pay the amount for the damaged get an estimate and start the work. Upon completion get "The person" pay it.

Hopefully such incident doesn't repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Got a call from the SA and was told that the surveyor had accepted the claim and the work will start from Monday. It would take a week to 10 days time to get the job done.
^^^

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2015 at 14:54. Reason: 2 typos :)
Old 18th January 2015, 13:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!

There's more damage than what meets the eye! From the pictures, it's obvious that it is a very well kept car; sad to see it in such a bad shape. Since the other person has agreed to his mistake, and is obviously ready to pay for the damage; getting him to pay your part of the insurance and the NCB is a fair enough thing to do. No point in stretching further or getting into unnecessary hassles.

Just out of curiosity, is there any CCTV footage which could have captured the whole incident? Also, what damage did the Accent suffer?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 15:04   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Accidents happen and at times, without it being our mistake. That's an unfortunate reality of life.

What is fortunate is that your car was smashed by an absolute gentleman. Most people would just hit & run in this situation. He made sincere efforts to reach out to you and is ready for compensate for your losses.

Of course, you need to tell him to enroll in a proper driving school. Rather careless & wrong of him to get behind the wheel like he did. Instead of your car, it could have been a biker or pedestrian.

Just a note: Since he still hasn't transferred the Accent to his name, the insurance isn't transferred either. His car was effectively running without coverage. That, and the fact that he doesn't have a driving licence, make his actions illegal.

Your NCB loss is greater than you think. You've stated that your Alto will be sold in a year or so. Transferring your untouched NCB to the Alto's replacement would have saved you big bucks. Again, accidents happen. But if you're calculating your NCB loss, be sure to account for this.

Good luck with the repair. I hope she comes back as good as new and that the settlement is to your satisfaction.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Bad that it happened. Not sure about you, but I would never write everything like claiming insurance saying hit and run on the Internet

You could have waited until the Insurance of the guy got transferred and he could have used his insurance to pay. That is if you could wait and it could happen in a couple of days.
Old 18th January 2015, 16:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bad shunt that!
You still have the option to ensure payment comes from this person. Get the final bill - before it is sent to your insurance, and ask this person to pay it. Of course, if relationships dictate otherwise that's a different matter.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 18th January 2015 at 16:56.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, you need to tell him to enroll in a proper driving school. Rather careless & wrong of him to get behind the wheel like he did. Instead of your car, it could have been a biker or pedestrian.
My guess is "he lost control of the vehicle as soon as it started" most likely means that the car was left in 1st gear when he started the engine, and when it was started the car leapt forward.

I agree with GTO that it is best for you to take the man up on his offer to bear the repair costs, in cash. Don't claim insurance - and if it is not too late then contact the surveyor and give a letter withdrawing the claim as it will affect ncb
Old 18th January 2015, 19:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would disagree with the forum thoughts here.

If you want him to pay up for the complete repairs, then the car should've gone to a sensible FNG who would've gotten just the right repairs (as opposed to "replace everything you can" by A.S.S).

Otherwise, claiming insurance, and figuring out the value of a few years of NCB loss + cash expenses is the fair calculation.

Basically think of it as if your son / wife / father / mother / cousin had done it - figure out the costs exactly as you would've done in that situation first, and then ask him to pay.

I'd say its a tad unfair to choose the highest cost path and ask him to pay that. A.S.S is useful in accidental repair involving the engine etc or straightening the chassis which FNGs cannot do.

A decade back a bus hit my mom's car and we had the same concerns - they got the fenders done up perfectly through a decent FNG to our mechanics' satisfaction. I would've thought a similar approach in your case would be fair enough.
phamilyman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 20:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO here. Plenty of FNGs in the chennai forum on tbhp - take your pick on whichever is close to you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks