Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2015, 15:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I am not sure if the forum allows this but here is the link to my article on expectations from Obama's Delhi visit published in Thursday's Marathi Paper Loksatta (sorry non-marathi BHPians!)
http://epaper.loksatta.com/c/4335434

I am going to write one in English after the visit and will share that too if its all right.
Hi avingodb,

It would be great if you could share some insights about your marathi article...

Also looking forward to your english article
Old 24th January 2015, 15:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It would be great if you could share some insights about your marathi article...
I put the english draft of that one onto my blog, here it is.

These are my personal opinions.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 16:03   #33
BHPian

There seems to be some changes in the itenary:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us...-lateststories

What will now happen to those cctv cameras installed in Agra? Will they be removed or will they be left to rot or will they be functional?
Old 24th January 2015, 16:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

So, I will be ready with my gear on my roof terrace from 9:30 am onwards. Hope the lading will be from eastern side (99% hope so).

Last time I saw both the air crafts but couldn't click a pic due to excitement.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 24th January 2015, 18:15   #35
BHPian

POTUS + Wife have boarded the Air Force One at the Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland, U.S. for their high-voltage trip to New Delhi...

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama_michelle_leave_for_india_650.jpg
More at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us...-lateststories

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-aptopix_obama_2288648g.jpg
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...?homepage=true
Old 24th January 2015, 20:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
January 25, 2015
Obama to lay wreath and pay homage at Mahatma Gandhi memorial at Rajghat
Good, this means that the awful red colored spit marks near the entrance to the lawns of the Rajghat will be cleaned. I was pained and ashamed at the same time to see what our countrymen have done at the memorial of the Father of our Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
One of our newspapers also had an amusing story. It said the dogs were ranked as 'Lieutenant' or 'Captain', and that we should thank God that our cops did not have to salute them!
I believe the dogs from the dog squads of our police forces also have ranks.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 20:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
One of our newspapers also had an amusing story. It said the dogs were ranked as 'Lieutenant' or 'Captain', and that we should thank God that our cops did not have to salute them!
Actually it's true that junior officers salute their senior ranks whether they are humans or dogs. Matter of respect for the rank. Example picture.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-image.jpg
Police officers salute K-9 as he goes on his 'final journey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-journey.html
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 21:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I still wonder how they could not anticipate the speed-breaker in Ireland. And to top it off, it was the gate of the U.S. Embassy!
Here's the video of that incident...

Quote:
US President Barack Obama's visit to Ireland got a little bumpy on Monday, after his armoured limousine got stuck as it tried to leave the US embassy in Dublin. A large crowd had turned out in Ballsbridge to wave farewell to Obama as he made his way from the Irish capital to his ancestral home in County Offaly. But their cheers turned to gasps when the underbelly of the president's black Cadillac - nicknamed "The Beast" - caught the slope of the embassy driveway - hitting it with a loud bang. With the limo unable to move either forward or backward, Obama and his wife Michelle remained in the vehicle while a Secret Service agent directed a grey coach to park in front of it - obscuring the view of the media and the crowd, and prompting a few boos. Obama and his wife then continued their journey in a second armoured limousine, while the rest of the motorcade left the embassy via a different exit.
This isn't apparently a 4wd vehicle , and the driver of the car behind was obviously not trained well enough to push/bump the POTUS's car across the speed-breaker!

Would have been a lot less inconvenient for the President!
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 22:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

I could click a spur-of-the-moment low-resolution video of The Beast and its decoy emerging from the White House in one of my evening walks in the vicinity in Feb 2011. Thought of sharing it here. It was clicked with my 'unsmart' Motorola Razr v3i phone, so pardon the low quality.

Old 27th January 2015, 14:56   #40
BHPian

Some pics from NDTV.
Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-1.jpg

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-2.jpg

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-3.jpg

Name:  Obama 4.png
Views: 1434
Size:  473.4 KB

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-5.jpg

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-6.jpg

Name:  Obama 7.png
Views: 1364
Size:  437.1 KB

Name:  Obama 8.png
Views: 1432
Size:  581.6 KB

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-9.jpg

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-10.jpg
Old 27th January 2015, 15:09   #41
BHPian

More pics from NDTV:

Name:  Obama 11.png
Views: 1640
Size:  479.5 KB
The Grand Dinner: President Pranab Mukherjee with US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama during the American National Anthem before the State Dinner at Rashtrapati Bhawan. The lavish banquet was attended by 250 guests, including top Union Ministers, Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, industrialists like Ratan Tata, Mukesh Ambani and winners of the Padma awards, India's highest civilian honour.

Name:  Obama 12.png
Views: 1701
Size:  421.1 KB
Yeh Dosti: Here's to the great partnership between our two nations, the dosti between our two people," President Obama while making a toast during a State Dinner at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

Name:  Obama 13.png
Views: 1633
Size:  579.5 KB
At Rajpath for the 66th Republic Day celebrations.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-14.jpg
Thumbs Up: Chief Guest Barack Obama is impressed by the BSF jawans' daredevil bike act during the Republic Day parade.

Name:  Obama 15.png
Views: 1851
Size:  485.5 KB
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama attended the 'at-home' reception hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan's famous Mughal Gardens.

Name:  Obama 16.png
Views: 1477
Size:  273.7 KB
Senorita, bade bade deshon mein...you know what I mean (he quotes Dilwaale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge).: POTUS during Town Hall in Siri Fort

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-17.jpg
Republic Day

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-18.jpg
US President Barack Obama with wife Michelle at an event at Siri Fort Auditorium in New Delhi

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-obama-19.jpg
Shukriya, POTUS. Obamas Leave India:US President Barack Obama and wife Michelle before boarding the Air Force One at Palam airport in Delhi
Old 27th January 2015, 15:28   #42
BHPian

Now this is what interests me the most in this Obama-R'Dday-Visit episode:

The dinner will be a carefully designed spread of select Indian delicacies from North and South Indian cuisine including galauti kebab, soufiyans fish tikka, chicken malai tikka, stir fried broccolli, paneer malai tikka, vegetable kabab, mustard fish curry, mutton rogan josh, chicken korma, Dal raisina, Hakka veg, kadhi pakora, chhole, papad, pulao, tandoori roti and naan. There will be malpua and rabdi for dessert.

More information on this link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/46010120.cms

Old 27th January 2015, 15:52   #43
Team-BHP Support

Watched the live stream which aired on Colors HD (which had a DD HD logo as well!) yesterday until 10:30 AM or so. The PM arriving in his Bimmer 760Li and the cavalcade’s formation, Obama's car arriving later and the President arriving in the W221 limousine, I was watching the parade on the TV after a dozen years or so. I wasn’t expecting it to air in HD. Felt good.

For those who missed, here’s the parade:

Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 13:05   #44
BHPian

FN-2000 Herstal & P90: Guns that protected Obama & PM...

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027650.jpg
The SPG now uses guns identical to those of the US Secret Service, which is armed with Belgian-make FN-2000 Herstal guns and its smaller counterpart, the P90 submachine gun, also from FN Herstal, government officials told ET.
In pic: A member of the India's security forces carries a FN P90 personal defense weapon during Republic Day Parade.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027651.jpg
When 500 US Secret Service agents rubbed shoulders with India's Special Protection Group (SPG) on Republic Day to protect President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Narendra Modi respectively, the two sides had similar firepower at hand.
In pic: A security officer guarding Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama keeps his weapon at the ready.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027652.jpg
The SPG does not sport its weapons in public but only on Republic Day and Independence Day * the two open public events for the Prime Minister.
In pic: Security forces stand guard during a visit by US President Barack Obama at Republic Day Parade in New Delhi.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027654.jpg
SPG commandos guarding the Prime Minister shed their trademark suits on these days to get into battle-gear with the FN-2000 assault guns while those in the innermost ring sport the P-90 personal weapon.
In pic: A security officer guarding Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama keeps his weapon at the ready.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027655.jpg
The FN-2000 guns are assault rifles able to fire nearly 850 rounds in a minute in a range of 500 meters while the P90 has similar prowess but is lighter and compact.
The small weapon for SPG, like the US Secret Service, is now FN's 5-7 Pistols.

Obama's India trip - Republic weekend, 2015-46027656.jpg
This is much like the US Secret Service, which has formally-dressed agents with concealed weapons in the immediate periphery of the President but a separate team a few meters away which carries rug sacks with heavy weaponry.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 01:37   #45
BHPian

U.S Presidential Transports (documentary)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks