Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 23:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Am I the only idiot here to wait at a red light?

A couple of weeks back I was riding back home, waiting to take a right at sector 25 Noida. I started off on the green and this guy in a white I20 was driving straight at me. My first thought was that he would realize his mistake and stop, but to my horror this guy literally tried to run over me. God knows how I saved myself from the idiot ramming into me. I stopped and looked back, this guy had the audacity to stop and cuss at me as if it was all my fault. I felt like turning around and smashing my helmet through his windscreen, but good sense prevailed and I refrained and rode on, hoping when an infamous dumper on NCR roads does the same to him, he might realize his folly. God save the idiots.
Old 26th February 2015, 00:47   #92
BANNED

The best detterent will be CCTVs operating round the clock at the signals. Send the fine notification to the offenders, hopefully with the stiff fines in place now, they will learn.
Old 26th February 2015, 01:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u] Behram Dhabhar
Sir, I have visited Mahindra Nasik plant during eighties, as part of my school trip. We were provided snacks at the officers mess, apart from the usual visit.
Also I faintly remember noticing some white Ambulances with UN painted on sides (a reference).

You have seen the changes Nashik has undergone, and suggestions on driving in Nashik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Excellent!and the likes
To rebel is human instinct, and fairer sex do like the bad types more. This is just a general statement, as portrayed in some movies. And social media platform has given wings to these acts, example sleeping under a running train. 'In thing' or happening things for a teen in any developed country will surprise you more.

-------------------------------------------

Attaching this beautiful message ref: Banksy twitter
https://twitter.com/thereaIbanksy/st...44691922034689
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only idiot here to wait at a red light?-banksy.jpg  

ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 10:43   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Excellent! Please do share details on how. You sent an email? Actual physical letter etc? Not being funny or sarcastic. Genuinely want to know so that I can do the same
I typed a letter with my suggestions, printed it, signed it and sent it by registered post with acknowledgment due which I have received already.

I believe there are other portals to offer suggestions as well. Not sure. I'm a little Old School anyways.

Regarding enforcement and constant monitoring, this will be applicable only in the implementation stages. Once implemented, the "Fear" of getting caught would be the actual deterrent.

I seriously believe this "Motorcycle Cruiser" concept would work, pay for itself within the first year, and should be able to halve the count by the end of first motorcycle's lifespan (3-5 yrs).

Cheers

Drive Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 11:07   #95
BHPian

I start my day off early and have observed that people in general take red-light-jumping / wrong-side-driving in morning hours (~7AM) to be absolutely ok. What worries me most is that some school buses too jump the signals putting the life of our kids at unnecessary risk.
Old 26th February 2015, 16:32   #96
BHPian

We're only become idiots when we give into this pressure of breaking or not following rules.

Ever since Bangalore traffic police has initiated "Public Eye" I do my own bit and send about at least 4-5 pictures in a week. The other day, on Saturday, I stood near the mosque, on Mosque road, Frazer and clicked some 72 pictures of people coming from the other side of the one-way bridge. It took 2 days to upload all the images, but I did it. Similarly I use ichangemycity.com for other infrastructure-related disputes. I'm sure a lot of big cities have initiatives like these

So the thing is, even if I'm able to impact 1% of these rule-breakers, on my way to office and around my house, I'll do it. And we all should do this too, if time permits.

IMHO, right now I believe the there are only about 25% people on the road who follow road manners, in Bangalore. The day this number goes up, it'll get better. And when it reaches 50.1%, the turn-around will be even faster.

Let's not hope that the government will do something. Let's change it with us. With our friends. Our families. With our neighbourhood. With our office/Hire cabs or buses or rickshaws.

Just don't give in to the pressure.
creative420 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 13:08   #97
BHPian

Nobody on the road can be made aware of traffic rules by words. So what I usually do is to ignore them completely and dont look at them to make them think I am deaf. At the same time if the honker is very aggressive, I just engage the reverse gear if the engine is running, this is more than enough to make the honker mute.
Also while stopping or in any traffic signal I give more importance to rear view mirror than looking front, usually I keep a good distance from the vehicle ahead and if there is any vehicle tailgating or coming fast I reduce my speed to crawling speed and make them slow to avoid any rear ending, it always works if you reduce the speed gradually than decreasing suddenly.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 27th February 2015 at 13:10.
Old 28th February 2015, 08:38   #98
BHPian

I faced the brunt of following the rules and arrogance of people yesterday.
At the powai pizza hut junction signal, i was waiting (1st in line, right behind the zebra crossing) to turn right onto JVLR towards eastern express highway. The signal was still red with a counter of 10 secs. There's a WagonR around 2 feet behind me, waiting for signal. It was driven by a lady who's talking on a phone (with phone to her ears AND not on hands free). She suddenly banged my car. I turned back and asked her "Whats the problem? the signal is still red". She didn't seem to realize this and shouted at me instead - "Aage jaana" (go ahead). I told her again that the signal is still red but in vain. She kept shouting. I gave up and moved ahead but only after the signal turned green. While on the JVLR I observed her as she drove. She was still talking on mobile phone!

Fortunately nothing major happened to my car's rear bumper apart from few scratches.
But the worrying part is:
1) The lady didn't realize that she just bumped my car. Or that she realized it but thought that attack was the best defence rather than apologizing for her mistake!
2) She was talking on the mobile throughout!!! She even failed to realize that shes committing an offence here.
Old 28th February 2015, 09:14   #99
BHPian

Am I the only idiot here to wait at a red light?

I can feel your pain brother since I also thought the same. However everyone doing wrong doesn't make it right. For example, in Noida, it is more hazardous to cross on a green light since you never know who can hit you from where. I do make it a point to stop at all red lights and neither do I zoom past an orange one.
Old 28th February 2015, 11:04   #100
BHPian

even i'm one of the idiots to slow down at Yellow and stop at a red signal. Have had scenarios where in i have almost been hit.

One major point on Hosur Road is the Kudlu Gate Junction, where I have to take a right towards Hosapalya Rd. At times when i have stopped at the right most corner of the road, I have had to move ahead & get into the small gap (created due to the divider & flyover pillars), to avoid getting hit. At times when I have taken this turn, when signal turned Green, I have almost been hit / cussed & whatnot from people who have tried to jump the signal (moving towards Hosur).

I'm not the single one here. THere would be many more.

The entire driving license regime needs an overhaul. Its the easiest thing to get through & majority of Indians don't understand the responsibility that a 'Right to Drive' (aka Driving License) comes with.
Old 28th February 2015, 15:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent! Please do share details on how. You sent an email? Actual physical letter etc? Not being funny or sarcastic. Genuinely want to know so that I can do the same

Gotta love 'em Aussies. + 10 Gajillion to you

Watch this video - https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FLUVgQ7bf0s

Synopsis - Someone does a wheelie and the cops catch him. How is he made to realize the repurcussions of his actions:

- The bike is impounded for a month
- He is allowed to get the bike out of impund (post 1 month) after paying a fine of $706
- Additional fines paid. Total damage - $ 3000

No, No and No. 0 tolerance is the need of the hour. Nothing else will do. Hurt the morons, hurt them bad

And you dont shame the shameless.... Coz you cant!!

I assure you, self made videos of them doing "time" (such as picking up garbage from the streets) will become the new "in" thing on facebook and the likes
May I suggest Community Service being made compulsory for offenders.
Nothing offends people in this country more than having to do something for others for free.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 16:06   #102
BHPian

I encounter this kind of behavior (Red-Light jumping) every single day at every single junction, right from University Road to Sinhgad Road in Pune.
And I have a short term solution which I have made a habit of following.

This usually happens within 2 or 3 seconds.

I patiently wait my side's light to turn Green. As soon as that happens, I rev my bike and speed off to an extent. To an extent as in about 5 feet or so. If someone is trying to jump lights from other side, I simply stop my bike in front of them, blocking their way. And then when everyone from behind me catches up to me/us, I move on.

This way that person is caught between traffic and in Pune, you do not stop if your light is Green, no matter what.

I don't recommend anyone else doing it but I won't stop till light jumping stops.

Also, I have done this many times and have caused multiple fines for jumpers (hopefully). Since as soon as there is a stoppage in traffic, a warden comes to the culprit and removes the keys from their bikes and moves them aside. What happens after that is not under my control and I can't stay back to make sure a fine is passed on to the culprit.

Also, I must add that what I do is not illegal or dangerous. I don't followup with my sprint if the jumper is not slowing down. With 15 years of riding in India under my belt, I have excellent peripheral vision. That helps.

AGAIN, I would not recommend anyone else doing this. I have confidence in my machine and me and hence pull it off. Others might not be able to.

Cheers.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 19:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

I think a part of this zoom on a red light especially when there is little traffic mentality has been inculcated by the cops themselves. How you may ask, usually when a vehicle has stopped at a red light and there is a traffic cop around and there is little traffic from the other direction , the cop would signal the vehicles stopped to proceed further.

While legally this might be ok since the cop has been trained to allow vehicular movement by making sure there are no vehicles coming from the other direction , this creates a wrong impression and misguides the drivers into thinking that one can proceed if there is no vehicle coming from the other direction. I beileve even this practice should come to a stop.
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:24   #104
BHPian

A very disheartening survey of school and college students in India:
http://www.indiaspend.com/cover-stor...violence-31627

The part relevant to this thread is under the caption of Civic Rules.
40 to 44 % college students agreed it is fine to break the rules because the fines are small or they can bribe their way out of the situation.
braindead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:15   #105
BHPian

Here's an idea that it's in place in Sweden (not sure if still is) that makes it fun to follow traffic rules:

http://www.wired.com/2010/12/swedish...-to-slow-down/

Quote:
In January, Kevin Richardson won Volkswagen’s The Fun Theory, a contest for ideas to make obeying speed-limits fun. Now, less than a year later, his entry is in use in Stockholm, Sweden.

Is it possible to make road-safety fun? Yes, it turns out. Kevin’s idea is both smart and simple. As well as ticketing you when you run through a speed-radar too fast, Kevin’s “Speed Camera Lottery” also notices you when you come in at or under the speed-limit. It then automatically enters you in a lottery. And here’s the really smart part: the prizes come from the fines paid by speeders.

This would probably never work in the U.S, where speeding fines and red-light cameras exist as revenue streams for the police rather than as deterrents to bad driving, but the Swedish National Society for Road Safety, which worked with Kevin, has found it to be a success. The average speed of cars passing the camera dropped from 32km/h before the experiment to 25km/h after. Now, if only there were a way to pay car-drivers to be polite to cyclists.
nareshov is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks