Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2015, 13:29   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fed up with problems, businessman donates his Duster for carrying garbage

The Renault Duster err Dumpster! With the kind of cost cutting Renault had put in, no wonder it ended up in this abyss. The fun part is, where will it end up if the Municipality can't maintain it

Anyways it's a little bit painful to see an Automobile ending up in this state. I mean, a little bit of mods and making it a dumpster is ok but just removing the rear seat and dumping trash into it is a sad sight.

Wishful thinking is someone from Renault taking notice and getting the issue sorted out. But knowing India and Renault, what's the remote possibility of that happening?
Old 15th March 2015, 18:42   #32
BHPian

Not sure if it is a reflection on Renault India in general or relates to the service incompetency of the particular service centre.

However, first, there was news a couple of months back that India made Duster is being recalled in UK due to rusting issue - the article dubbed the Duster as 'Ruster'. (There was no corresponding recall in India).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...all-india.html

And now, we have this story from Morak Station. Combination of the two reflects badly on vehicle quality at the time of buying and the service quality you have to live with later on.

Not at all a good news for Renault India.
Old 15th March 2015, 20:23   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
This to me seems like an exaggeration by the owner.
If you can convince his gains from this stunt, then maybe we can discuss a bit further on that.

Quote:
Similar to an Etios owner placing a sarcastic ad to vent out his frustration. I have an Etios and I vouch that he was exaggerating way beyond facts..
Is your Etios related to that guy's Etios in some way? How can you vouch for some one else 's car? Probably you guys might not have ever met or seen each other's car, how can you be so sure of someone acting up? Especially in today's fast paced world where people have very less time on their hands to indulge themselves.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 20:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you can convince his gains from this stunt, then maybe we can discuss a bit further on that.
Could you convince he doesn't have any ? I am sorry, such dramatics seem over the top at first look. Even if the, service center is at fault, which we dont know for now, there are better ways to take them to task. This is my opinion, you need not agree with it.

Quote:
Is your Etios related to that guy's Etios in some way? How can you vouch for some one else 's car? Probably you guys might not have ever met or seen each other's car, how can you be so sure of someone acting up? Especially in today's fast paced world where people have very less time on their hands to indulge themselves.

I dint know vehicles had relatives within their breed, well for starters I have issues with my Etios too. I have posted few of them in the T-Bhp threads too. And, for sure am not in love with the car. Even with that kind of perception I wouldn't agree to what he has to say. I would recommend you go read his posts on the problems he faces, if you still feel he is not exaggerating, well I would leave it at that, Again, Its my opinion against yours, we don't have approve each others opinions.

I agree about the lack of time, but again the same question, why would some one indulge in such antics when they could have gone to a consumer court ?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2015 at 19:32. Reason: Please do NOT reply in-line, as that is against our forum rules (leads to difficulties when your post has to be quoted, etc).
Old 15th March 2015, 20:59   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree about the lack of time, but again the same question, why would some one indulge in such antics when they could have gone to a consumer court ?
Your friend having an accident, might have been featured as a small snippet, in one news paper. This is all over, has gone viral.

If you could have provided the Etios thread, then maybe me & few of us might check it out. Why this anonymity?

And Consumer Courts? It would have taken at least 5 years to get a verdict. And going to a court or not is his choice.

While at it, would appreciate if you could quote properly inline with your replies.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 21:04   #36
BHPian

There's more than that meets the eye. I feel the whole scenario enacted is melodramatic. Agree, the quality of the Duster is no match to the variants sold elsewhere, however this seems to be an extreme reaction to something that could have been resolved with intervention of Renault, had it been taken up with them. If this trend is being supported, you may see a lot of brands ending up as garbage trashcans.
Since there seems to be a lot of information missing, let's not get into conclusions and wait for details, or else ignore.
Old 15th March 2015, 21:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Your friend having an accident, might have been featured as a small snippet, in one news paper. This is all over, has gone viral.

If you could have provided the Etios thread, then maybe me & few of us might check it out. Why this anonymity?

And Consumer Courts? It would have taken at least 5 years to get a verdict. And going to a court or not is his choice.

While at it, would appreciate if you could quote properly inline with your replies.
There is no anonymity, it was all over the place some time back, and here it is now.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...omplaints.html

So, are you suggesting that going to courts is a waste of time ? I thought here at T-Bhp we always suggested and supported the legal and the straight forward way. So, in the same lines do we also support mob justice, road rage and media trials ? I am not saying his case might not be genuine, I only said that his actions went a bit overboard 'according' to me.

And media, we all know what ticks for the mainstream media! They beat their trumpets about burning Nanos, was the Civic that burst into flames and killed the driver reported with the same zeal ?

Again, like I said, Its my opinion and it doesn't need anyone's approval or moderation unless its detrimental to the decorum of this forum which it isn't.
Old 16th March 2015, 00:12   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....So, are you suggesting that going to courts is a waste of time ? I thought here at T-Bhp we always suggested and supported the legal and the straight forward way...
Is NOT going to a consumer court illegal? or NOT straight forward? I am sure 90% of the bhpians will suggest anyone against going to the court for the time it takes to settle the case, unless it's the last option and ONLY if the person has money, time & will power to hold on till the end.

And what the Duster's owner did was something that hit the brand hard! I do NOT find anything wrong with that if he has suffered such damage after spending top class money. It's common sense that no one would throw away 10L just like that. Neither do I find any reasoning in people questioning his "freedom of expression".

Quote:
...Again, like I said, Its my opinion and it doesn't need anyone's approval or moderation unless its detrimental to the decorum of this forum which it isn't.
@Sheel didn't refer to your "reply" as such; he referred to the "bold" part of your reply which is better avoided on a forum for readability (and the tone, which I am sure you didn't intend ). Instead, you could "'quote" the post and respond to it or break the post into multiple "quote"s (manually).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th March 2015 at 00:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 00:33   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, are you suggesting that going to courts is a waste of time ?
Nope. But we all know how our judiciary works. Arriving at a judgment takes eons if you go the legal way. Not everyone may have the time and patience for that.

Do you recall BHPian Harish and his famous battle with Skoda (link)? It's an interesting one. Suggest you read up if you haven't.

Quote:
I thought here at T-Bhp we always suggested and supported the legal and the straight forward way.
We suggest and support what is the right way. Is going to a consumer court always the right way? Not really. You can very well settle it out of court between the two parties and there's absolutely no harm in doing so. It isn't illegal either.

Quote:
So, in the same lines do we also support mob justice, road rage and media trials ?
Nope. Please don't compare apples with oranges.

Quote:
Again, like I said, Its my opinion and it doesn't need anyone's approval or moderation unless its detrimental to the decorum of this forum which it isn't.
Absolutely. You are free to voice your opinion. It's an open forum.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th March 2015 at 00:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 01:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is NOT going to a consumer court illegal? or NOT straight forward? I am sure 90% of the bhpians will suggest anyone against going to the court for the time it takes to settle the case, unless it's the last option and ONLY if the person has money, time & will power to hold on till the end.

And what the Duster's owner did was something that hit the brand hard! I do NOT find anything wrong with that if he has suffered such damage after spending top class money. It's common sense that no one would throw away 10L just like that. Neither do I find any reasoning in people questioning his "freedom of expression".
I am seeing my 'freedom of expression' is being questioned here but its OK, since that's what Freedom of Expression is all about, if you go my to my original post, I only said it looks far fetched act for unresolved electrical issues. On similar grounds, why would a service center keep a vehicle in their shop floor for 200 days without trying to resolve the issue ? Isnt that a waste of space and time for them ? And if you notice it was my opinions that were questioned by a fellow poster. I don't mind that, and I answered him.

Quote:
@Sheel didn't refer to your "reply" as such; he referred to the "bold" part of your reply which is better avoided on a forum for readability (and the tone, which I am sure you didn't intend ). Instead, you could "'quote" the post and respond to it or break the post into multiple "quote"s (manually).
I know what he meant about the replying inline, I agree it was an error and I should have previewed the post and split my replies like now. The Bold was just to differentiate the replies. But I agree I made a mess out of it..

However my statement was not directed to what he pointed out about the formatting. I was talking about the questions on anonymity and the Etios issues, because what he said almost implied 'Dont post if you have not personally verified the car'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. But we all know how our judiciary works. Arriving at a judgment takes eons if you go the legal way. Not everyone may have the time and patience for that.

Do you recall BHPian Harish and his famous battle with Skoda (link)? It's an interesting one. Suggest you read up if you haven't.
Sir, I am not saying the dealer is right or the owner is wrong. There are always two sides of a coin, and just like many here posted supporting the owner of the Duster, I posted a comment with my views.

I have read the Skoda post, but in this case we only have a bunch of news sites reporting 'unresolved electrical and Air Con issues'. May be once more details emerge it will be clear who or what was wrong.

Quote:
We suggest and support what is the right way. Is going to a consumer court always the right way? Not really. You can very well settle it out of court between the two parties and there's absolutely no harm in doing so. It isn't illegal either.
Absolutely, agree. That said, doesn't this qualify for a defamation should the manufacturer choose to ? Isn't that a perspective as well ?

Quote:
Well that's debatable.

Quote:
Of course, that's what I am trying to do. But from what it looks like an alternate opinion doesn't look very welcome.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 08:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am sure even Renault wants the customer to go to court so that they can wash their hands for few years and then get away with 50000 rupees compensation, thats what gives manufacturers courage to do so again and again.

And with regards to 200 days, I am pretty sure that the car would have been lying unattended for more than 150 days waiting for parts to arrive.
If the owner wouldn't have taken this step, we all wouldn't be discussing it and it would've passed on as just another case.

I thought Japanese manufacturers are reliable and take there customers sincerely but JV with Nissan has not made Renault improve its practices.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 10:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is precisely what I was trying to say, or have been saying.

Quote:
And why won't he do that. Recall the Civic? Which had alignment issues and had put up a board signifying - Maine ye gaadi kabad me kharidi hai. Translated - I bought this piece of junk.

Quote:
+1.

Having a difference of opinion is a different issue, but questioning something which is all over the place and hence appears genuine is where this all started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Every time somebody speaks of courts, Harish's case begins to shine bright in my memory. Even we are in a legal battle with the State Government and can you imagine, the court (where the case is to be pursued) does not have a judge for the past 2+ years? Imagine if your case falls in a similar court.

Quote:
I do not know not going to court & rioting on the roads are linked.

Quote:
This is what Team-BHP is all about.

Quote:
I am seeing my 'freedom of expression' is being questioned here but its OK, since that's what Freedom of Expression is all about, if you go my to my original post, I only said it looks far fetched act for unresolved electrical issues
Anand, neither freedom of speech is questioned nor alternate opinion is unwelcome.

This being an open forum, your views will be contested. Please open up for that.

Without beating around the bush, it is amply clear that the case is genuine. If you can prove (however) it is not, we may see your point of view.

Quote:
Of course, that's what I am trying to do. But from what it looks like an alternate opinion doesn't look very welcome.

Quote:
On similar grounds, why would a service center keep a vehicle in their shop floor for 200 days without trying to resolve the issue ? Isnt that a waste of space and time for them ?
Simple, because they could not resolve the issues. Why did they keep Harish's car for 5 years? Maybe something similar happened.

While at it, because we don't have hard data, so I am not really buying the 200 days spent at workshop theory, but it is amply clear that the person and his car in discussion, Renault Duster had issues which could not be resolved. Fed up, he donated it as a garbage vehicle.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 11:49   #43
BHPian

It is not wrong to be skeptical. However, I don't find anything curious about this incident. I think we all are somewhere traversing beyond simple logic here. My take on the entire incident would be -

1. It is a car, and as with all machines there is always a chance of failure, partial or total. This incident does not prove that the Duster is a bad car by any means. What it does prove is the level of incompetency of technicians and service personnel at Renault India. Well Renault, lucky for you that we have some more of your likes here nurtured graciously by our beloved lawmakers who are, quite naturally, either more incompetent than you or busy addressing thousands of other more serious issues than consumer protection.

2. It is always very painful and disheartening for the owner to find his newly acquired vehicle rendered unusable on account of a manufacturing defect. An incompetent A.S.S. further aggravates the situation. It is not uncommon for owners/consumers to feel hopelessly deserted in their fight against big corporates in our country.

3. It is his car after all. He is free to do whatever he feel like with it, albeit within the ambit of legality. In this case, the owner is frustrated enough to let go of his car , which cost upward of Rs.10 lacs, a substantial investment by any means. This clearly points to the fact that he has used and exhausted all possible measures that sounded reasonable to him to rectify the issue before taking this drastic step.

4. The owner, being rather sober, just subjected the manufacturer to bad publicity, which I again find very justified. When someone robs you of Rs.10 lakhs, this is the least you should do, off-course purse permitting.

5. How effective his small gesture would be in teaching the big corporates any lesson remains to be seen. Renault will barely lose a handful of prospective customers on account of this event.

End of the day, Renault should have come up with a solution. Have they not done so due to sheer incompetency or lack of commitment we would never know. But, in any case, the car being stranded for 200 days points to a bit of both.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:38   #44
Team-BHP Support

+1 to everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
End of the day, Renault should have come up with a solution. Have they not done so due to sheer incompetency or lack of commitment we would never know. But, in any case, the car being stranded for 200 days points to a bit of both.
Two things which I would like to say. First being, why is Renault silent on this issue?

And why is Renault India silent on the rust issue of Duster? IIRC, few manufacturers have contacted Team-BHP with their explanations if something like this cropped up.

This doesn't inspire much confidence to a consumer. IMO, Renault India should be pro-active in resolving these issues, especially the widely accepted rust issues.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th March 2015 at 13:40.
Old 16th March 2015, 14:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

If someone feels that the customer is over-reacting then I have three points to make.
First that if Renault is not at fault, let them file for defamation (I am not sure but they can do it as customer has not made any claims).
Secondly, the customers are anyway appear as losers in such scenarios, so he has taken the brave step of making Renault also appear as loser as he had nothing more to lose.
Thirdly, I am sure any person can donate any vehicle for any purpose (other than terrorism) so he is within his rights to do so.
I am surprised as to why Renault is silent on this negative publicity disaster with their ONLY successful product, they are doing it at their own peril like Skoda. Maruti SX4 cross is near its launch, which surely will have some effect on Duster's sales, they can't afford to sit quite.

Last edited by carwatcher : 16th March 2015 at 14:12.

Most Viewed