Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How frequently do you hit the highway?
More than once a month 125 29.62%
Once a month 75 17.77%
Once in 2 months 64 15.17%
Once in 3 months 58 13.74%
Damn, I really need to get out more often (Once in 4 or more months) 100 23.70%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 10:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How frequently do you hit the Highway?

Once in 2 months is the norm for me, this generally means more than 2 days of break thus accompanied by a Friday or a Monday thereby giving me enough time to plan and treat myself with some good highways.

Most of the time it is Jaipur, Agra-Fatherpur Sikri, Kasauli, Shimla.

When its more than 3 days - Bikaner, Mclaudganj, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Mandi etc.

Highways have really improved and so are the cars...I still remember father Saa'b spending atleast a day at the garage once in 2 months with the Premier Padmini BE delux and now generally once in a year with service intervals of 15k km.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 16th March 2015 at 10:27.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 10:51   #32
Team-BHP Support

Once in 2 months, on an average.

When it comes to work-related trips, I try my best to take the car, pool in money for the fuel and avoid a journey by train if the distance is less than 700 km. We wouldn’t really bother with the elusive tatkal ticket at the 11th hour and the TTE jugglery. We drove to Karad twice this way and we had a good time on both the occasions.

Otherwise, the daily drives to our workplace involves a 110 km round trip on a mix of busy 2 lane and 4 lane roads. Can't be counted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Last week we drove all of 25kms or so to buy banana chips at a famous chips shop only to find it closed.
Just curious. Was this SNR chips at Alathur?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 11:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

For me, once in 3 months average. The major culprit is work pressure and my habit of not taking advantage of natural long holidays. I avoid public long holidays to avoid crowds in nearby tourist places. Rather than that, I am comfortable to make my own long holiday by taking leave.

I like to drive long, quite long in my car and since most of the local spots (within 200 - 300 Kms) range are seen, so nobody in the family are keen on repeating those. I have some long travels on the cards in nearby future, hopefully I can take a holiday easily.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2015 at 11:21. Reason: Typos
Old 16th March 2015, 11:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

At least one trip a month is the norm. Sometimes it goes up to one per fortnight or even a week
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
...Last week we drove all of 25kms or so to buy banana chips at a famous chips shop only to find it closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Was this SNR chips at Alathur?
SNR is not worth the price anymore, at least we find it that way. There's a Hot Chips (or something like that) bang opposite to the Palakkad Dist. Co-op. Bank, that sells good chips these days
[quote]We took a long route back, had tea at a small shop and reached home[/quote
Care to say which route?
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 12:07   #35
BHPian

Once in two months at an average, since I got a new car last year. It was raining highway trips during the initial 5 to 6 months. But I haven't had a single trip this year :(
Old 16th March 2015, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Ever since I moved to Bangalore, the multiple short drive options around the city meant that I hit the road atleast once every 2 months if not every month.

Good roads out of the city, scenic routes and multiple long weekends all ensure the odo keeps ticking!
Old 16th March 2015, 16:17   #37
BHPian

Though I do once a month visit to Cuddalore, I selected option-5. My Cuddalore visits are pilgrimages accompanied by all male nephews and cousins, but very rarely with my wife and kids.

I wish I make more family road trips in future.
Old 16th March 2015, 18:16   #38
BHPian

It usually was more than twice a month, from the day we bought our Stallion, until last January. I used to fill up fuel on Friday evening on my way back home from office. Come Saturday morning, my wife and I are out, roaming around in the direction we like. Many times we have ended up either in Coorg or in Pondicherry, returning to Bangalore by Sunday late evening. And almost all the times, the trip was never planned.
Just realized that we haven't gone out since January, due to work commitments. Hence voted 'once a month'. Need to do those impromptu trips soon.
Old 16th March 2015, 19:07   #39
BHPian

As one ages, It does get more difficult. Not the drives or the rides, the responsibilities that hold you down. I do try to ride once a week. And drive atleast once a month.

I wouldn't survive without some fresh air!
Old 17th March 2015, 09:33   #40
BHPian

Once in two months on an average, wish I could do more!

But problem of staying in the eastern part of the country ( read Kolkata), we are inherently crippled with the dearth of proper weekend destinations. Now the usual ones like Digha, Mandarmani, Shantiniketan etc are unusually crowded with weekend trippers. And the quintessential Darjeeling/ Sikkim & North Bengal is off limits primarily because of the horrible road conditions (NH34, as well as the Dumka Bhagalpur route) even for my XUV.

Having said that I would try to do a 500 Km round trip every two months or so as a breather. And for the ICU treatment for the last two years I have done the north bengal circuit and Rajasthan with my family ( last Dec-Jan around 5000 KM).

For my job, I need to travel extensively, and sometimes the steel plants that I visit are a little off the main cities, there, i generally drive my juniors/ colleagues cars.
Old 17th March 2015, 10:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Twice in a month on an average. I usually do Bangalore - Mangalore atleast once in a month and the solo drives on some weekends. The weekend solo drives mostly involve SHs but requires to hit some NHs to reach those superb SHs.

I prefer well asphalted SHs over 4-6 laned boring NHs
Old 17th March 2015, 11:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just curious. Was this SNR chips at Alathur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
SNR is not worth the price anymore, at least we find it that way. There's a Hot Chips (or something like that) bang opposite to the Palakkad Dist. Co-op. Bank, that sells good chips these days
Yes it was SNR - but it was more of an excuse for a drive rather than a destination. Moreover we should not say that we have not had chips from SNR after being in Palakkad for so long!! Otherwise Hotchips is our go-to place for chips and other stuff like that. For authentic Palakkadan stuff, it is Rava stores nearby

Quote:
We took a long route back, had tea at a small shop and reached home
Care to say which route?
It was Highway to Alathur, then interior roads through Kuthanur, to Peringottukurissi. Decided to return, took a U turn and came back through Kuzhalmannam road, took a left and hit Melamuri -Kottayi road and reached back via KSRTC busstand. Was telling my wife that this is your backyard
Old 17th March 2015, 13:27   #43
BHPian

Living in mohali, a weekend trip to the hills is a customary routine for most youngsters my age! Just back from a 700+ km weekend and feeling heavenly!
Old 19th March 2015, 12:21   #44

Nice thread!

I voted for once in two months. Mostly on Mumbai - Pune route. I do love to drive long distances (more than 500+Kms) once a year.

My long weekends are better planned for driving during monsoon, when there are plenty of choices to go around Mumbai. The sahyadris and western ghats become picture perfect destinations for quick getaway and ideal setting for satiating the driver in me. Driving on Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar road has been the best experience so far during monsoon for its scenic beauty.
Old 20th March 2015, 12:16   #45
BHPian

My city running is negligible. But still I did ~22k is last 12 months. I'd 85% of that was highway running. Highway runs include leisure travel and work commitments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks