Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 10:56   #1
BHPian

M-800 ECM stolen

The ECU of my m800 was stolen.... the burglar managed to take it without opening the door....(opened the rear quarter window, later the lowered the window of the rear door and then the front door window) I had anti theft alarm system installed. It was totally useless because they never opened the doors... The main culprit was the rear quarter window..Its too easy to open it...
I never knew it was so easy to walk away with an ECU costing 13K

Burglars are getting smarter. They didnt bother to take the music system.
Now I am running around to get an FIR from the police station and BOY they are making me run around

Now, I am not sure how to prevent this from happening again. I am planning to get a metal sheet welded on the inside of the rear quarter window the usual glass on the outside.. that way it will not alter the looks... the other option of that sensitive alarm is a pain, it starts off even if a dog barks close to it... what say folks? pls advise
Old 21st August 2006, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

I thought quarter window grill was compulsory fitment? Sorry to hear about the loss. Can you claim insurance (after you get the FIR)? Nothing much you can really do to prevent stuff like this. Anti-theft systems are also simply for mental peace, experienced burglars (since he knew where / what to go for) can easily bypass it by disconnecting the battery/fuse in a jiffy. They also tend to prevent theft of car contents, stereo, etc.
Old 21st August 2006, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
The ECU of my m800 was stolen.... the burglar managed to take it without opening the door....(opened the rear quarter window, later the lowered the window of the rear door and then the front door window) I had anti theft alarm system installed. It was totally useless because they never opened the doors... The main culprit was the rear quarter window..Its too easy to open it...
I never knew it was so easy to walk away with an ECU costing 13K

Burglars are getting smarter. They didnt bother to take the music system.
Now I am running around to get an FIR from the police station and BOY they are making me run around

Now, I am not sure how to prevent this from happening again. I am planning to get a metal sheet welded on the inside of the rear quarter window the usual glass on the outside.. that way it will not alter the looks... the other option of that sensitive alarm is a pain, it starts off even if a dog barks close to it... what say folks? pls advise
We have a grill fixed at that small useless window. It really helps. Regarding the pain due to the alarm when the dog barks..... I feel taking that pain is much better than loosing most expensive stuffs from our cars.... do you agree upon that my friend ?
Old 21st August 2006, 12:47   #4
BHPian

sad incidence.

try to fix a remote lock with some ultrasonic sensors placed inside cabin, which detects any motion inside cabin and triggers siren.
and regarding the shock-sensor on outer body shell, one can manage its sensitivity for trigger on low-impact or high impact. so dog-barks and kids' slaps wont trigger the siren anymore!

lot many companies are into such locks.
autocop, blackcat, vision, etc.
ask any reputed car accessory shop and get ur car secured.
Old 21st August 2006, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, many people ignore sirens, if for short duration. This is all it takes for any thief to disable it. Maybe mfrs. need to code such expensive electronic parts with engine/chassis no.? Like audio system panel? So ECM will not work with any other car, unless reset through proprietary s'ware?
Old 21st August 2006, 12:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
sad incidence.

try to fix a remote lock with some ultrasonic sensors placed inside cabin, which detects any motion inside cabin and triggers siren.
and regarding the shock-sensor on outer body shell, one can manage its sensitivity for trigger on low-impact or high impact. so dog-barks and kids' slaps wont trigger the siren anymore!

yes. and the sensors can be adjusted according to the place u leave ur car. i think we should start expecting these things these days. and bangalore is pretty famous for these vehicle accessory threats. my brother lived in blore for a few years & his KB100 battery & rear view mirrors used to be stolen every other month.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
sad incidence.

Thanks for the inputs... any specific models that I can look at?
And do I have to get the entire remote locking replaced? or do the interior alarms come as separate standalone ones...

I guess I will get a reimbursement since the theft of accessories is covered...atleast that is what is being said now....lets see....
Old 21st August 2006, 14:40   #8
BHPian

That's a pretty serious threat to car-owners. My Zen is fitted with Nippon (OEM for Maruti) car security system. Now I am unsure whether that's good enough to save the car / accessories :(
Old 21st August 2006, 16:47   #9
BHPian

i have an old santro. i got Vision 0402 model remote lock and Nexxus immobiliser as free gifts!
removed nexxus immobiliser after its stick-shaped sensors broke down in 6 years. and continuing with Vision0402. and it has 2 ultrasonic sensors fitted on A-pillars top inside cabin.

whenever it detects any motion in cabin it triggers siren. even when windows are left open slightly, any attempt to insert a hand inside will also trigger the siren! it is adjustable too (for sensitivity!)
earlier it used to trigger the siren every now and then! found the culprit as some 'flies'!!!!!!! yeah it detected even a housefly which came close to sensor! adjusted its settings and now its working perfectly.

same goes for the outside body's shock-sensor protection. it is also adjustable. earlier it gives siren even when a bus goes past it with some 10-20 mtrs distance! kids made my life hell! car-cleaning guy cried a lot at my door to remove it!!!
but after adjusting its sensitivity, it is working fine. now only a hard blow can make it trigger the siren.

i guess lot many companies have made this kind of lock. Vision was the first one to launch this kind of 'extreme-lock'!!
at that time it was costing abt 5500 rupees, but now i guess one can get better locks with remote start and all for mere 4000 rupees!!!

explore your local market for that!

here is the weblink for a lock similar to mine, mine is an old model, might be phased out. have a look at it:
http://www.visioncarsecurity.com/0352.html

Last edited by revharder : 21st August 2006 at 16:53.
Old 22nd August 2006, 03:33   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

That rear quarter glass grill is a MUST for 800. I though everyone got it the first day they bought the car!
Even the WagonR has the rear quarter glass.. but its not easy to take it out... its stuck there unlike the 800's rubber lining

Anyways take the insurance claim... put the grill and enjoy.

Rest assured .. if a thief gets enough time with any car he can do anything unless of course its one of the 007 cars
Old 17th April 2007, 17:03   #11
BHPian

Its nearly 8 months now and I am yet to get the insurance claim.
Today I got a call from them saying only 50% would be reimbursed.
How can ECU be treated as plastic?

Also since it was a theft incident I thought this percentage rule wont apply for spare parts. Am I being taken for a ride here??
Old 17th April 2007, 18:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
We have a grill fixed at that small useless window. It really helps. Regarding the pain due to the alarm when the dog barks..... I feel taking that pain is much better than loosing most expensive stuffs from our cars.... do you agree upon that my friend ?
actually its the neighbors who object sarcastically on the sudden alarms..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks