Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

What I was pointing out was that it would have reduced its speed...right?
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
So I have made it a policy to drive *only* with shoes, even for short errands; sometines the delay irritates those who are in a hurry to get along, but I always resist the temptation to wear slippers and drive.
And therefore the rule to drive with shoes or barefeet, but no slippers or chappals! Recently there has been a drive in my town to get everyone to drive with shoes on or even barefoot -- but no slippers.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:31   #18
BHPian

Well someone actualy warned me and he said this has happened before, But I totaly ruled it out, Bullfrog, thanks man, From now on,I am going to ensure that no bottles are kept inside the car
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Handbrake would've caused the rear to slide, causing more damage to vehicles around than the lone Scorpio in front. The vehicle is heavy - I doubt if the handbrake will pull it to a stop from any half-decent speed.
i totally agree.. but a vehical hitting another at 50kph with jammed break (no breaks).. applying the hand break would have reduced the impact and damage caused...
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:50   #20
BHPian

A good lesson for all !!

Thanks for sharing the info..

Boom makes a very valid point about whiplash injury.. Many scorpio owners remove the headrests to improve rear visibility.. If that was the case here , it will make the situation even worse for them..
Old 22nd August 2006, 14:08   #21
BHPian

Hmm... I keep the bottle in the space created between the front seat and Handbrake lever....well..now that habit vanishes after reading this...
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:19   #22
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Had some similar experience few months back in my Sierra. I was driving from Bangalore to chennai. I had carried few extra bottles of water other than one kept in the space provided for water bottles in the door pad.
While manovering the bottle kept under driver seat started sliding slowly and got stuck under the break peddle and clutch peddle and when I want to break & down shift I could not press either of the peddles. I was fortunate that the traffic on the Highway was less and I could manage to take the car to the left side of the road, bent down and removed th bottle slowly.
From then on I make it as a practice, not to keep any thing loose on the floor of the car. A nice leasson learnt.

Reagrds,

K.Nagaraj
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is scary that many of Bhp'ians has faced this situation. I make it a point from now on, not to keep any bottles loose.
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

I always brake much before the obstacle (jam/trafic light etc). when i reach the light, i like to be crawling to a stop. I never screech at the end. Got it as a habit when learnt driving. once or twice when I had to concentrate on whether i have my foot on accelerator or brake, i decided to test them everytime before using .

this also works for better fuel efficiency since most of the time by the time i crawl there singal has already tirned green and i don't need to downshift. (I put this point in the fuel saving tricks of mine...here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/115273-post68.html )

Of course i don't have this luxury of anticipating stops all the time.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 23rd August 2006 at 23:42.
Old 24th August 2006, 08:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Isnt this potential danger accentuated by the fact that pedals are suspended nowadays instead of popping out of the floor ? If the pedals were on the floor, the bottle MAY not have lodged underneath as the stem of the pedal would have prevented it from jamming underneath.

Why are suspended pedals better than floor-mounted ones? If the reasons are purely cosmetic, wouldnt it be better if we went back to the floor-mounted ones?
Old 24th August 2006, 10:44   #26
BHPian

Friends,

This brings a thought, what are the best possible solotion to get the vechile moment to stop in these situations. Are there any tricks to over come situations where you are not able to stop the vechile usiing the regular breaks, I mean the break pedal next to clutch. Any tips?
Old 24th August 2006, 12:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Isnt this potential danger accentuated by the fact that pedals are suspended nowadays instead of popping out of the floor ? If the pedals were on the floor, the bottle MAY not have lodged underneath as the stem of the pedal would have prevented it from jamming underneath.

Why are suspended pedals better than floor-mounted ones? If the reasons are purely cosmetic, wouldnt it be better if we went back to the floor-mounted ones?
Dear Steeroid change is due to the fact nowdays, the pedals pulls a cable, which actuates that actuall levers. In the good old days the pedal stem was directly connected to the brake master cylinder piston, or the actuall clutch lever. This helps the pedals to be positioned ergonomically, but in case of a cable snap?

This arrangement makes me nervous, as I have experienced once the accelarator cable snapping of a good old amby, while on a highway.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:54   #28
BHPian

hey thats sad to hear though..really opens my eyes..will take care from now on ..:-)
Old 24th August 2006, 19:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
Friends,

This brings a thought, what are the best possible solotion to get the vechile moment to stop in these situations. Are there any tricks to over come situations where you are not able to stop the vechile usiing the regular breaks, I mean the break pedal next to clutch. Any tips?
Well if you are on an empty piece of road, then keep downshifting and apply handbrakes at around 20-25kph mark.... but on a crowded road, u'll just hope that the fast and the furious 4 stunt coordinator is somewhere near with a digicam handy...
But seriously hand braking at high speeds can go really wrong if there is even a slight twich in the steering wheel... Have seen an overturned indica near my place... that guy hit the side pavement and overturned...
Old 24th August 2006, 19:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the pedals were on the floor, the bottle MAY not have lodged underneath as the stem of the pedal would have prevented it from jamming underneath.
The bottle/can doesnt always have to be big enough to be blocked by the stem.

Many of us take off our left foot off the clutch pedal, and dont have both legs blocking objects from moving towards the pedals.

It is also possible that a bottle/object could have jumped to the other side of the stem and got lodged there. If it did, then it would be worse than when the pedals are suspended.

Also, when the pedals dont have a stem, an object that can roll below the pedals could also roll back away from the stems. IMHO, the absence of stems atleast gives a chance for the object to be removed ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks