Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2006, 19:34   #31
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
Friends,

This brings a thought, what are the best possible solotion to get the vechile moment to stop in these situations. Are there any tricks to over come situations where you are not able to stop the vechile usiing the regular breaks, I mean the break pedal next to clutch. Any tips?
In case of a brake failure while going downhill, you can try handbrakes at slow speeds and if that fails, turn your verhicle into the hill-side rather than let it pick up speed. If your problem is temporary, like a bottle getting underneath the brake pedal -- then bend down and remove the bottle if you have the time. Pump the brakes too -- you might get back the braking. And of course, the downshifting option should be used if you have the time.

You can try swerving to avoid collisions if the handbrake option fails-- but you must know exactly what your are doing, otherwise it could be from the the frying pan into the fire. The most important tip is that if at all you have a choice, try to avoid a head-on collision with a vehicle moving in the opposite direction. That coud be fatal even if both vehicles are moving as slowly as 50 kmph. So you might try to swerve and prefer a grazing blow or else hit something stationary or better still, the rear end of a vehicle moving in your direction. And as Khaadu75 pointed out, human lives have a higher priority than equipment.

Last edited by rks : 24th August 2006 at 19:37.
Old 24th August 2006, 19:47   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Friends,

This brings a thought, what are the best possible solotion to get the vechile moment to stop in these situations. Are there any tricks to over come situations where you are not able to stop the vechile usiing the regular breaks, I mean the break pedal next to clutch. Any tips?
Join both hands and start praying to the Ganesha idol on the dashboard.
Old 24th August 2006, 20:33   #33
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy
And therefore the rule to drive with shoes or barefeet, but no slippers or chappals! Recently there has been a drive in my town to get everyone to drive with shoes on or even barefoot -- but no slippers.
That is interesting. Not too many towns have people who are so proactive on such issues.
Old 24th August 2006, 21:31   #34
BHPian

Hey, I must say that your friend was unfortunate. I had a similar experience. But the bottle rolled down at a different time. I was braking to avoid a speed breaker, and boosss the bottle, a half liter bisleri water bottle, came from under my seat to the brake pedal. Lucky for me, I coudl immediately rectify by keeping the bottle away.

now I am very careful when driving the Alto. I ensure that no bottles are under the drivers seat and make sure no one sitting behind keeps a bottle around. Keep only one or two bottles in the car and know where they are.
Old 27th August 2006, 00:27   #35
BHPian

Just last week, the "half - flat" cannister of my chamoise cloth that USED TO I keep under the driver's seat somehow jumped over the cross member and ended up in the footwell on the driver's side! Luckily I was almost at a standstill and it didn't get under the brake pedal...

More freaky but luckily not unfortunate was once when our pet cat who was on his way to the vet in a basket on the back seat, got out and crawled under the passenger seat, into the passenger footwell and then started to cross over from behind the center console to the driver's side! I saw him just in time and blocked him by pressing down the clutch pedal!

Guys watch out for pets in the car too!

- T u r b o C -
Old 27th August 2006, 09:40   #36
BANNED

i was wondering ..

Quote:
Friends,

i duno i wat situation .. but if your brakes are failed you can use Engine brakes in slowing down your car ... i am not an amature driver but i know sum points ... if you understand by engine braking .. i have seen this done in movie s & cartoons as well ..

its pretty cool in slowing down your car or there can be 1 more option in stooping ur car or slowing down ....

if u ever have tried locking yur car wheels by turning your car opposite to that of your cars kinetic enrgy .. then u can stop .. incase handbrke is possible .. use th ecar momentum 2 turn your car around similar to that of drift racing .. but only difference is that you are not going sideways but turnign ur whole car opposite it energy ...

try these on empty roads in order to avoid accidents ..
Old 17th July 2008, 17:59   #37
BHPian

If anyone drives barefoot, make sure that the footwares are kept below the seat. It could turn in to a hazard.

Regards
Mahesh S
Old 17th July 2008, 18:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
i am not an amature driver but i know sum points. if you understand by engine braking i have seen this done in movies & cartoons as well.
Movies and cartoons? real life is way different Maniac dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
if u ever have tried locking yur car wheels by turning your car opposite to that of your cars kinetic enrgy .. then u can stop .. incase handbrke is possible .. use th ecar momentum 2 turn your car around similar to that of drift racing .. but only difference is that you are not going sideways but turnign ur whole car opposite it energy ...
Got this from movies and cartoons as well? Why would one swerve to slow the vehicle down? This can cause serious loss of control due to shift in the weight of the vehicle and can be way too dangerous. Dont try this on public roads. Especially on a truck.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Movies and cartoons? real life is way different Maniac dude.

Got this from movies and cartoons as well? Why would one swerve to slow the vehicle down? This can cause serious loss of control due to shift in the weight of the vehicle and can be way too dangerous. Dont try this on public roads. Especially on a truck.
my friend, that maniac's dude's post is from 2006.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
my friend, that maniac's dude's post is from 2006.
I know. Didnt want someone to take his "advice" seriously.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I know. Didnt want someone to take his "advice" seriously.
oops!! my bad.. yeah it's best not to even look at such advices.

Most Viewed