Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:32   #1
BHPian

My friend had an unfortunate accident in his new Safari Dicor. When he and one of his friends were driving apparently a stray Waterbottle rolling about in the vehicle got stuck under the Brake pedal and they couldn't brake the Dicor. So no time to react at a signal at all and straight into the back of a Scorpio at 50kph.

Dont know the details of damage on Scorpio but on Dicor it is extensive. My friend has just been presented with a 98k estimate of which I believe he can claim only about 50K from Insurance considering the Electrical, Plastic parts etc.

So guys in cars, carrying water bottles dont say you have not been warned

Regards
Bullfrog
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:15   #2
BHPian

Wow! Absolutely Freaky and I am very sorry for your friend - really sorry. Thanks for sharing - I will be careful with them bottles in the car.

- Johy
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:20   #3
BHPian

hi

i think if your friend had acted sensible then this accident would have been avoided that's what i feel, if he could have applied the parking/ hand break instead of the usual break then this freaky incident would have not happened…

what do you say TBHPians...?
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:50   #4
BHPian

The rider in question was a very experienced one and the reaction time was extremely less in traffic (It is Bangalore chaos after all !!) I beleive. The handbrake thing was the first question I also asked him.

Also hearing this my cousin narrated one of her friend's experiences of the Brake pedal getting stuck due to the fact that her high heels were caught under the pedal at some strange angle. The road was pretty free at the time and she had the presence of mind to downshift couple of gears and used the handbrake to come to a stop. Unfortunately not the case with Dicor....

regards
Bullfrog
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:58   #5
BANNED

the same thing happen to my uncle in his esteem... went off the road and straight into one of those huge pipes.. the ones used for constructions car was totalled...
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:12   #6
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Also hearing this my cousin narrated one of her friend's experiences of the Brake pedal getting stuck due to the fact that her high heels were caught under the pedal at some strange angle. The road was pretty free at the time and she had the presence of mind to downshift couple of gears and used the handbrake to come to a stop. Unfortunately not the case with Dicor....
I also had some near misses when driving with slippers on -- on one occasion, while I was taking a quick U-turn in a narrow road, someone got in my way and my sliippers interfered with my braking. But I was lucky that this was not a real emergency and I avoided the individual. So I have made it a policy to drive *only* with shoes, even for short errands; sometines the delay irritates those who are in a hurry to get along, but I always resist the temptation to wear slippers and drive.

Also one should beware of the rubber mat on the carpet under the driver's feet. This always keeps moving and gets into strange positions. So far I haven't had a bad experience, but nevertheless I always remove the rubber mat for highway drives for fear that it may get in the way when I need to either brake or accelerate hard.
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:35   #7
BHPian

Hi friends.

Sorry to hear about the accident, i had a similiar incident..... if i wud ve been in it...belive me u wudnt be reading about my posts..... in short a TRUCK was in front of me.... in night time in GURGAON, i had tried to over-take that truck but had to press brake 2~3 times.... ( in the meanwhile while braking the bottle from under seat JUMPED and landed on driver side and den went under the brake padal) while i applied brake 4th time the BRAKE PEDAL just wont go in..... THANK GOD the bottle was emplty and I used all my ENEGRY to HIT on BRAKE and the BOTTLE craked.... and in the same time I just applied HANDBRAKE..... so got saved just by roughly 6~8 INCHES.......

BE CAREFUL with those MISSILES (BOTTLES).....

Tnx n Rgds
Passion4cars
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:47   #8
BHPian

seems like an incident from the movie FINAL DESTINATION do not no which part, any ways all lose things in the car are a no-no, get a net fixed in the footwell (merc c class) to keep water
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

there's a thing called handbrake in Safari too right? Inexperienced driver I guess.
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:11   #10
BHPian

jkdas,
try using handbrake in any car at 50kmph, no need to go for one with high COG, and then try giving a slight twist to the steering!
i wont doubt the driver as to be an inexperienced one, coz in such extreme panic situation when one doesnot even has the priviledge to divert his path of motion and brake is stuck, one just can't do anything except yelling some expletives!

it was really an unfortunate incident.
but why people keeps bottles as loose as in this particular case?
there are backpockets behind front seats in almost every car today, what are they for?
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:36   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
there's a thing called handbrake in Safari too right? Inexperienced driver I guess.
Hey, I dont think this is a case of inexperience at all !! In such situations you cant sit and just say ' Inexperience ' -- coz maybe he realised a bit too late to even think of the hand brake coz when u driving in normal mode your senses arn't at their best as far as reflexes are concerned .

Unfortunat - Yes !! Inexperience - No !!

And lucky that it was a car that he went into and not some individual or some one on a 2 wheeler coz that could have gotten messy !!

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:38   #12
BANNED

I guess the driver concerned has learnt his lesson regarding keeping bottles near the feet.

Hope no one in the Scorpio was injured. Getting hit from behind by a Safari at 50km/h can cause some serious whiplash.
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Similar thing happened with me. Fortunately, it was a crossing so my normal practice of engine braking was already on when I realised the pedal wont go in. I did realise something rolling into the pedal but did not know what (someone had kept a loose bottle underneath the rear seat (how it crossed the cross member I am not sure). At the same time my left hand/foot was naturally downshifting into second so lot of momentum was
killed, thankfully I had the presence of mind to pull the handbrake up (although even if I didn't the impact would have been gentle).

One more occasion, I was wearing chappals for a wedding, and while applying the brakes the chappal just slid sideways between the brake and accelerator while taking a corner. Even then nothing happened as my left foot took care. But I always feel like hitting me on my own head for driving with chappals on (and that too a bit fast).
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Handbrake would've caused the rear to slide, causing more damage to vehicles around than the lone Scorpio in front. The vehicle is heavy - I doubt if the handbrake will pull it to a stop from any half-decent speed.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Handbrake would've caused the rear to slide, causing more damage to vehicles around than the lone Scorpio in front. The vehicle is heavy - I doubt if the handbrake will pull it to a stop from any half-decent speed.
i agree with steeriod the vehicle this heavy would not stop with handbrakes as 70% of the braking is done by the front wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks