Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 14:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thak Thak Gang: Captured on CCTV stealing a bag from CR-V

Hi BHPians,

The thak thak gang is quite active in various parts of Delhi and other cities as well.

Though there are enough threads on this, I thought of creating a new one with video attached here for education and benefit of fellow BHPians and also who browse team-bhp.

Hope, people also share this video and make more and more people aware so that they are very aware of the surroundings before falling trap to these gangsters.

tanwaramit is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thak Thak Gang: Captured on CCTV stealing a bag from CR-V

Smooth operation, I must say!

Honestly, the CR-V owner is silly for leaving a bag with 7.5 lakhs on the rear seat! That's a big amount. As is generally recommended, it's best to keep bags & valuables out of clear sight. Place the bag in the boot (away from prying eyes) or better yet, carry it with you.

Whenever I'm travelling with my laptop bag, it's always stored in the boot. Further, whether their handbags have valuables or not, I never let the women in the family leave them in the passenger cabin. A thief can & will break the window to steal the handbag. Even if there was nothing in the handbag, the real loss is the broken window.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 13:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, these things happen because people think its safer to keep money close to them - in the passenger cabin, rather than the boot.

Also, while walking on the road, its best to carry cash in a laptop bag, slung on your back. Nobody can do a "cash grab" job if you carry cash like a school kid.

In this particular case, I feel it might be an inside job. Highly unlikely that this gang just happened to be there by coincidence.
SmartCat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

That was a very smooth and smartly executed plan indeed. And the driver had no clue of the door being opened and closed. How they manage to divert the driver's attention is an eye-opener! Something that I will now keep in mind in future.

In other things that I noticed from the CCTV footage, the way the massive SUV was parked on the road without any consideration for the traffic on the road, really irritated me
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 14:21   #5
BHPian

A man can never get rid of his greed. How could the driver even think of dropped currency on that side of the car that remains closed all the time...
I keep my bag beside me and see that windows are semi-closed [ If not on Ac] and locked even stopping at junctions so that someone from the crowd wouldn't pull off my bag and runs, but still one of my worst fears during a city drive is strangers grabbing my belongings from my car without a cinch of chance for me to act !

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

In this particular case, I feel it might be an inside job. Highly unlikely that this gang just happened to be there by coincidence.
I second this.

Non local Business man + city visit for buying something+ 7 lakh cash+temple visit along with PSO + exact time

There must be an insider's hand !
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now, apart from learning to drive a vehicle, one must also undergo a safety course on how to avoid car-jacking, thefts etc. This incident shows us that when ever the out-laws get a chance to grab some money, they will do so.

Also, we must try to unlearn the trusting nature. We need to always be suspicious of anyone we don't know. A security guard in mall parking, a plain-clothes person claiming to be ticket checker in train, a valet outside the restaurant etc. How many times has any one of us asked for identification of the guards who ask us to open the boot on the pretense of checking? (IMO I feel the whole checking business is just for show, it is not very difficult to sneak something inside the malls).

Regarding the above CRV, a person carrying so much cash should certainly be extra cautions. Should not have left the bag unattended in the first case.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 15:10   #7
BHPian

Reminds me one of the incident in Mumbai with one of my friends.

My friend waiting on a red light in his car with windows down and cell phone in the storage near the handbrake. A beggar starts to irritate him and my friend starts to give him a piece of his mind. In the mean time, another person just picks up the phone. They both fled in the Kurla mad rush.

Its totally our negligence whenever these kind of things happen.

And i strongly believe there's an insider's hand in this robbery,
nemesis86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 15:21   #8
BHPian

Actually this may not be a lot of money for him. Businessmen in Delhi-NCR are very casual in handling cash as i have seen.
a few days back there was this bolero parked in the middle of a service road in noida blocking all traffic. After some 10-15 minutes, a totally unapologetic man emerged from a building carrying wads of 1000 rs notes (Must be about 10-12lakhs minimum) in his hands, totally uncovered in full public view, sat in the car, threw the money on the passenger seat and drove away. Although this was not the first time i have seen something like this, i was in awe for some 15-20 seconds.
car-dent is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 15:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi BHPians,

The thak thak gang is quite active in various parts of Delhi and other cities as well.
There was a news in TOI 3-4 days back, about the arrest of a Kingpin of the Thank Thak gang, active in South Delhi.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46893516.cms

Quote:
The kingpin of a gang involved in stealing valuables from cars has been arrested from Defence Colony. Police said the accused, Nasim (26), operated mainly in south Delhi and had over 40 cases registered against him.

The complainant, who works with a company dealing in surgical instruments, told the police that when he reached Andrews Ganj bus stop, two men came and started knocking on his car's windowpane. They constantly kept knocking till he came out and asked them what the matter was. While he was talking to one, the other picked up his cellphone and wallet and fled the spot, cops said.
This businessman should visit the Defence Colony police station to verify if the same gang was invloved in his case too. Please note that the distance between Kalkaji and Defence Colony is around 8-10 kms.

The Thak Thak gang is very common in Delhi and in this video, all the gang members seem to be EXPERT / PROFESSIONAL and are playing their respective roles brilliantly. So I personally don't doubt the insider's invlovement in this case.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 16th April 2015 at 15:33.
Irish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 16:15   #10
BHPian

Going slightly offtopic, I have always felt a need and made a habit to lock the doors immediately once I am in the car or when someone leaves the car, even if that means I am waiting in the car for someone to return or join me.

Something I have noticed is that, with many vehicles having centralised locking that are engaged once the vehicle starts moving and reaches than 10km/h or 15km/h threshold, people don't tend to manually lock the doors once in the car. This can prevent many cases of vehicle theft where people just pounce on you while you are fiddling to wear the seat belt or going for the ignition.

Another feature which I'm not sure is common among all cars these days is that once the cars comes to stop and only the drive opens his door, only that door remains opened and rest are still locked, making it impossible to barge in through other doors while the driver leaves through his. In this case unfortunately the co-passenger had exited through another door, possibly disarming the locks on all doors or that particular door. Hence again coming back to my point, I always tend to lock the doors when I enter the car (before cranking, before the seatbelts etc) and also when someone leaves the car. I agree that some of my passengers gives me an annoyed look when they return back, pulls the handle and find it locked. I have to unlock from inside, but it can prevent these miscreants.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 17:10   #11

Shocking CCTV footage!!

Now I can imagine what might have happened to one of my friend who also had his laptop bag stolen from his Duster in a similar fashion at a traffic light (near Moolchand, I guess).

The only thing that was different in his case was the trick. Instead of luring him with cash, his left rear tyre was made completely flat and one of the accomplice knocked the window and informed him of the flat tyre.

He came out of the car to see the tyre and perhaps that is when the gang carried out their job.
Old 16th April 2015, 17:10   #12
BHPian

This had happened to my brother-in-law in thrissur, Kerala. It was two years ago and a similar gang was at large for some months there. Same modus operandi. He was waiting for his friend to come from the supermarket. Somebody told him that cash had fallen on the ground. As soon as he opened to see, they stole his laptop bag, which was on the back seat at that time.

He went to the police and filed the complaint and returned home. He got a call from the police (I think a week later) asking him to go and identify if it was his laptop was that was recovered by them. It was his laptop!

What had happened was that the police, after receiving so many complaints, had deployed plain clothes policemen at the Thrissur round. They identified the culprits, while they were carrying out one operation and had to resort to some chasing on foot to catch them. On interrogation, the people admitted to the recent spate of similar robberies. They confessed that the stolen items were immediately taken to their village in tamilnadu and sold off as soon as they could. The police could recover only some items, one of which was my BIL's laptop.

I also have started the habit of hiding stuff beneath the seats or in the boot and keep doors locked when I'm parked at signals.
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 18:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Such gangs have been around since decades now. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Parcel trays do a great job of keeping valuables or even empty bags off sight, which may be potential targets for such thieves. Just like GTO, I have made it a habit to keep bags in boot only. In my XUV, with no parcel tray the luggage space is clearly visible from outside, i keep a dark sheet of cloth to keep the luggage covered all times.

A bag i use to keep air compressor, puncture repair kit, tow rope etc resembles a laptop bag, i have to keep it hidden in boot, else someday i may find the glass broken and bag gone.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 21:53   #14
BHPian

Bingo!
Exactly same thing happened to me couple of months ago in Hosur near the government hospital. Laptop bag pack was flicked from my car. However, the sack was empty , as someone gifted me the same the very same day. Planning to have central locking On/Off switch. This post reminded me about the incidence and forgotten DIY.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2015 at 13:42. Reason: Language
vkarulkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 00:09   #15
BHPian

It is also a good idea to keep cash/valuables/bag in the dashboard or beneath the front passenger seat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks