Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 15:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Salman Khan's criminal cases. EDIT: Gets bail in blackbuck case

Bollywood actor Salman Khan, has been held guilty in a hit-and-run incident that took place in 2002. A Mumbai Sessions Court has sentenced him to five years in jail.

The court found Salman guilty on the charge of culpable homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol when the incident took place. One person was killed and four others were injured when the Land Cruiser that Salman was driving crashed into the American Express bakery in Bandra, Mumbai. The victims were sleeping on the pavement when the car ran over them.

Salman had told the court that his driver, Ashok Singh was at the wheel when the incident took place. Ashok Singh had also owned responsibility for the accident. The court did not accept this version of the story.

Salman Khan will now be taken to the Arthur Road Jail in central Mumbai.
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Salman Khan will now be taken to the Arthur Road Jail in central Mumbai.
Even the mighty and influential fall and how.
Top most stars, earning crores of money, billions of fan following and yet two of Bollywood's biggest now behind bars- Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan.

Partners in crime and close buddies.
But I am sure that Salman will appeal to a higher court and request for a re-trial if that is possible.
arnabchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

The case took 13 years. While it is better late than never, why the delay? This in spite of Mumbai police constable Ravindra Patil, being on-duty and prime eye-witness, never changed his statement and maintained all along that Salman was at the wheels of the car and that he was drunk.

Somebody need to analyze the time-line, identify the cause of delay and suggest steps to speed up DUI cases. Hope this verdict acts as deterrent.

Last edited by msdivy : 6th May 2015 at 15:30.
msdivy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:27   #4
BANNED

Miracle, he gets a bail hearing in the High Court at 4:00pm. What was being speculated is that it will be tough to file for bail even on Friday, when the court adjourns for summer. One can safely assume his legal team were anticipating something like this, and were prepared.
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Miracle, he gets a bail hearing in the High Court at 4:00pm.
Wow!

The update on most media websites was that he might not be heard before few weeks simply because the High Court would be closed starting next week.

I'm curious to know the next steps in a little detail though. I mean would the High Court simply sustain the previous verdict, can he get an interim bail?

EDIT: I'm no Salman Khan fan but simply curious.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pointless discussing this. Took 13 years at a sessions court to give a verdict. Pretty sure another 13 years will go by before we hear more.

Any idea what made the court not believe that Salman's driver was at the wheel? A person like SK "could use" influence and money power to come clean. Known for charity, he "could have" compensated the victim's kins. Why is it not working in this case?
Old 6th May 2015, 16:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Isn't 5 years of imprisonment too low for killing one person and injuring (attempting to kill) four more? This is not an accident. He drove his car under the influence of alcohol.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 16:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Isn't 5 years of imprisonment too low for killing one person and injuring (attempting to kill) four more? This is not an accident. He drove his car under the influence of alcohol.
Well, life imprisonment isn't enough for killing someone. But then that's not how the judicial system works.

Honestly, I would never want to comment on who was driving or whether there's sufficient evidence because its all hearsay. Unless I don't see something for myself I usually refrain from making a statement.

With this case, as someone else also asked, its hogging all the limelight simply because there's a film actor involved, that too a successful one.

There are also talks that since he knew he wasn't in the good books of the law (this accident plus the black buck case) so he decided to do more and more of charity, started being human brand etc. I mean who really knows the truth, probably Salman Khan himself.

My opinion, if he indeed was driving and was under the influence then he deserves harsher justice than what he got. However, if he wasn't, sad story then.

But what really grinds my gears is the time it takes our judicial system to arrive at a verdict. 13 years, really??!! Not to mention now this will get challenged and maybe the FINAL verdict would be out by the time he turns 80.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Salman's bail petition is scheduled for hearing at 1600 hrs this evening in Mumbai High Court.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th May 2015 at 16:23.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

If his bail is denied by the HC, his lawyers will approach the SC for bail , pending appeal.

In the worst case, he will spend a maximum of a few weeks in jail , get bail , while his appeal in the higher courts will go on for another decade.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

I don't care for the verdict itself either way, but I do care that it took our judicial system THIRTEEN years to reach one, that too subject to further appeals.

Instead, the court should've paid 13 years worth of court costs/expenses as compensation to the victims, that would probably be fairer than the farce we're witnessing now in the name of justice. Not to mention all this nonsense being paid for by the taxpayer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th May 2015 at 16:43.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 17:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

And now he got two days interim bail. So much for justice!
Old 6th May 2015, 17:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

I find it amusing that the High Court which has a huge backlog of pending cases has the time to hear a bail petition on such short notice. I wonder what makes this petition a high priority/emergency case in the eyes of the court.
Old 6th May 2015, 17:19   #14
BHPian

The rule of law is paramount, and if the judge found that he should be jailed for 5 years it is just.

But can't ignore that people are extracting pleasure from the sight of a rich and powerful man going to jail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Here is a study:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...envy-them.html

Quote:
The study found that people took pleasure when they were shown pictures of a rich business enduring difficult times
It is an act of negligence and there was no intent to kill. Culpable, yes. Punishable, yes. Yet I feel sorry for him.

Last edited by blacksport : 6th May 2015 at 17:21.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 17:19   #15
BHPian

re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run case. EDIT: Now acquitted

A bit harsh I would say considering that he is already into charity and social work. Agreed he was driving under influence (if indeed he was driving), and had no license but is his offense more serious than that star's who was fully aware of the plot and lent logistical support to anti national elements who were plotting against the nation which resulted in a significant loss of life, property and not to forget the scar it left on the nation.

This star helping anti nationals gets a meagre 42 months jail term with repeated furloughs while Salman gets 60?

Kudos to the judge and our judicial system.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2015 at 13:50. Reason: Hi Wheeledsoul, let's avoid posting these 'reaction GIFs' on the forum, else it becomes an epidemic :) Thanks.
wheeledsoul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks