Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2015, 19:15   #1
BHPian

High crime rate: Road from Dobhi town to Barachatti block (Bihar)

Hi friends,

Found this news article from Hindustan Times.

"A 40-kilometre stretch on the National Highway-2 in Bihar has become notorious for disappearance of loaded trucks and high-profile persons, according to the police officials, who say a special surveillance plan is being readied for the "hijack zone".

The stretch, which is called the 'Bermuda Triangle’ of Bihar for having a high number missing and kidnapping cases, runs from Dobhi town to Barachatti block in Gaya district. Police sources said that for every reported kidnapping or disappearance from this stretch, “at least three others go unreported.”

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1345779.aspx

Are any of our TBHP members familiar with this route?
chevyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 19:49   #2
BHPian

re: High crime rate: Road from Dobhi town to Barachatti block (Bihar)

I have driven a couple of times from Dobhi to Gaya and Gaya to Dobhi on my way to and from Delhi. However, Barchatti appears to be on the right (towards Kolkata) on NH2 when heading from Gaya to Delhi. Thankfully, never had to cross it. Now, if I ever go to Delhi by road again, I will try to avoid taking the Gaya route till the time the law and order situation in Bihar is better. I am sure Sheel will be in a better position to sight more on this issue.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 00:02   #3
BHPian

Bihar's bermuda triangle - mysterious stretch of 40 KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I have driven a couple of times from Dobhi to Gaya and Gaya to Dobhi on my way to and from Delhi. However, Barchatti appears to be on the right (towards Kolkata) on NH2 when heading from Gaya to Delhi. Thankfully, never had to cross it. Now, if I ever go to Delhi by road again, I will try to avoid taking the Gaya route till the time the law and order situation in Bihar is better. I am sure Sheel will be in a better position to sight more on this issue.

Im from Gaya and its always been notorious. A lot of mass murder cases happened there in those days. Guess small crimes are still prevalent. Its always advised to cross that route in daytime even for locals.

Last edited by ckranjan : 11th May 2015 at 00:11.
ckranjan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 10:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a stupid, sensationalizing news article, using the term 'Bermuda Triangle' to capture eyeballs. Law and order had always been an issue on the NH2 through Bihar as well as Jharkhand (as also many other highways in the country), and this news article says nothing new.

Kidnapping for ransom is much different from mysterious disappearances.

Basic safety measures like not stopping on the highway for prolonged periods at night, travelling in the daytime through this stretch, making sure your car is in good condition so that it doesn't unexpectedly break down, etc. are essential to minimize risk.

I've been familiar with that route since 1988, crossing that section at least twice every year on an average. If anything, things were much worse in the days before the NH2 became part of the Golden Quadrilateral.
SS-Traveller is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I travel through that section at least a couple of times every year. Almost all times during the day. Never felt anything wrong with the section as a traveler. There are a few check posts and police posts in the section and there is absolutely no need to compare that with the Bermuda Triangle! The roads are terrific, being a part of NH-2. Security might be an issue which the locals may explain better (but I haven't felt so ever) and to correct this, you do not need fancy GPS systems but just some jacking up of law & order.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 18:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: High crime rate: Road from Dobhi town to Barachatti block (Bihar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I am sure Sheel will be in a better position to sight more on this issue.
Not much apart from what SS-Traveler says.

The highlighted case of the doctor couple put limelight on this issue [road] else I don't think, any one was remotely bothered.

There was a case or two of kidnapping of businessmen as well and I think that is it. Haven't heard about CV's gone missing.

Kidnapping or looting is different from missing. Do the newspapers have any evidence to claim it as a bermuda synopsis?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 18:52   #7
J.Ravi

I drove on this dreaded stretch on 18 April 2015 evening, while returning from Bodhgaya to Bhubaneswar without knowing the high crime rate prevailing in those areas. But, to be frank, everything looked normal on the road.

Old 11th May 2015, 19:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Offhand, I can count off at least 50 sections of highway across India where I have personally travelled, which are known for kidnappings and looting of travellers especially at night. Why malign this particular section of NH2 as a 'dreaded road'?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:10   #9
J.Ravi

Quote:
Why malign this particular section of NH2 as a 'dreaded road'?
People need not jump the gun. I described it as dreaded stretch because of the news report. My perception is in the last sentence.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th May 2015 at 19:16.

Old 11th May 2015, 22:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
People need not jump the gun. I described it as dreaded stretch because of the news report. My perception is in the last sentence.
Hey J.Ravi, apologies - my rant had nothing personal in it, not especially against you. I ended up using the same pair of words you did ("dreaded road"), to rant against some idiotic journalists who have probably never travelled on that (or any other) section of that (or any) highway.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

One startling confession by the man who had planned that kidnapping :-

As per them, there were on the road looking for target and this being an Audi [points to a soft, rich target] they aimed at that.

But neither police, nor me is buying the story. He is lying to shade the middlemen who informed about the whereabouts of the doctor couple as well as their choice of cars/timing/occupants etc.

The story -
Attached Thumbnails
High crime rate: Road from Dobhi town to Barachatti block (Bihar)-img_20150512_090417.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 10:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
But neither police, nor me is buying the story. He is lying to shade the middlemen who informed about the whereabouts of the doctor couple as well as their choice of cars/timing/occupants etc.
You are right. Its definitely an inside job. Some one known to the Doctor planned all this. Also note the UP Connection. UP is one big drag on Bihar in improving the law and order situation. The situation has improved a lot in last 10 years. Hope that it becomes what it was before 80s.
Old 12th May 2015, 10:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One startling confession by the man who had planned that kidnapping :-
Any idea why the terms 'reiki' is used in such articles as one posted above by Sheel? I have read a few other articles where this term is used in such crimes. What I know is reiki is an un-proven healing technique. What has reiki to do with such crimes? Please enlighten me.

Thanks!
Old 12th May 2015, 10:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any idea why the terms 'reiki' is used in such articles as one posted above by Sheel? I have read a few other articles where this term is used in such crimes. What I know is reiki is an un-proven healing technique. What has reiki to do with such crimes? Please enlighten me.

Thanks!
recce :Short form of reconnaissance pronounced as Raeki thus written so in Devnagri.
Somehow Hindi newspapers following tabloid channels such as Aaj Tak these days try to use English terms instead of proper Hindi words. In this case could have used "Toh" instead of recce written in Devnagri.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
recce :Short form of reconnaissance pronounced as Raeki thus written so in Devnagri.
Somehow Hindi newspapers following tabloid channels such as Aaj Tak these days try to use English terms instead of proper Hindi words. In this case could have used "Toh" instead of recce written in Devnagri.
Thanks a lot Amit. You have cleared a long grown confusion.
Huh, once newspapers used to be epitome of good writing skills and reading one was suggested just to improve your own language skills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks