Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!

The incident that I am going to talk about is a factor which can be observed almost everywhere amongst drivers (Two wheelers in majority).

The non-usage of side mirrors and indicators when shifting lanes.

Few weeks back, by noon approximately 14:00 hours the roads were relatively traffic free, on the road to Porur (Chennai) from Guindy (Chennai),
And this incident happened on my adjacent lane.

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 20506
Size:  487.0 KB

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture2.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture3.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture4.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture5.png

Name:  Picture5_2.png
Views: 20231
Size:  795.7 KB

Name:  Picture5_3.png
Views: 20028
Size:  861.4 KB

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture5_4.png

The lady had a great escape from the rear wheel of the lorry (which the lorry driver didn’t know).

The only immediate response from the lorry driver was to peep out of his window immediately !

I guess thinking about the possible death he might have caused on wheels, blocked all his cognitive abilities to first stop the vehicle and then look back to see what happened to the biker.

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture6.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture7.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture8.png

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-picture9.png

Name:  Picture9_2.png
Views: 19265
Size:  1.01 MB

** (Following are the real time pics clicked on the accident spot) **

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-acc_spot1.jpg

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-acc_spot2.jpg

Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-acc_spot3.jpg

By the time I helped the biker and went running to check the people inside the Indica, a crowd gathered and started to help. With the taxi driver, there were a couple of passengers whose face appeared blank inside the Indica. I guess, at their 40+ age it was too much shock to take!
Since it got rammed on both sides, none of the 4 doors were operational. The occupants were evacuated through one of the driver side windows.

After sorting out the Indica, I went to its left to the TATA Ace, and as you guessed, apart from paint scratches and small dents on its front (bull) and rear bars – it suffered no damages.

I then went ahead of the Ace, to the Etios that got hit by the Ace.

By that time the occupants of Etios were already outside inspecting the damages. Damages were sustained at both front and back. The driver was confused and asked me “Sir what to do now ?”
I told him to get an FIR from the police who should be arriving here in few minutes (When speaking to him I saw Greenish liquid flowing from his front side of the car all over the road).
So I urged him to immediately stop the engine which was still running, and never start it back till it reaches the service center with the help of a tow.

Once he returned back after turning off the engine, I explained to him that it might be the radiator coolant and any further running of engine will lead to seizure. And again emphasized to him to get a copy of the FIR for his insurance claim before moving out from that place.

The Fortuner which got hit by the Etios was the leading vehicle at the traffic lights so he sustained damage to his rear bumper only (in spite of his rear bar - I might add). He left the scene!
May be it was some politicians vehicle and it was of very small money to him to get it repaired out of his own pocket!

- - -

All these things happened within ~ 30 minutes, by this time the public got hold of the lorry driver and I saw and heard him regretting for his speed and absence of mind to hit the brakes, to all.

After which I went back to my vehicle to clear it off the road, then thought I should take pictures of whatever scene is left, to show the bigger picture of one single mistake of an unruly driver and the cascading effect it had !

Seeing these damages and to think it started off with a simple mistake of not using side mirrors and indicators is appalling. Thanks to mother nature, there was no blood shed! Even the lady biker had a swollen elbow, might be a fractured arm but I am happy that she got out alive in the first place!

Insisting on the usage of side mirrors and indicators while changing lanes, I sent these pictures to my friends and family with the title,
Please use side mirrors and then indicators while changing lanes : For all that you will know you might not be the only sufferer of your actions!

Now, I'm sharing the story with this bigger family with the hopes that it will at least reduce further such happenings.

And I put forward a request to you, to share these to your friends thereby expanding the circle of learning!

Name:  Picture10.png
Views: 18623
Size:  4.0 KB

Last edited by manson : 25th May 2015 at 20:19.
Tamarind is offline   (127) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think aga

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing this well illustrated thread!
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think aga

Dude, we need more people like you on planet and we all should come forward for help. What if your near ones [the bystanders] were in the Etios? Thanks

And I really enjoyed the cat pics
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite911 View Post
Its funny how many car manufacturers still sell lower variants of their cars without a Left hand side mirror.
And it's funnier how many people buy cars worth an arm and a leg with electrically moving mirrors, but drive with them folded most of the time. Talk about buying stuff for show

This thread is a well-illustrated example of how one idiot, unknowingly, can trigger a chain reaction that could've caused major loss of life and property.

Most people on our roads just don't understand cause and effect, or simply don't care as long as they are not the ones affected by it. A small, seemingly insignificant act (seen in isolation) can cause major havoc when NOT committed in isolation.

Even here, how many people actually blamed the idiot scooter rider for causing the whole mess?

P.S. Love the LOLcats!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2015 at 14:33.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:32   #5
BHPian

The pics told the story nicely! Thanks. Eeven in my 20 year old KB100 Bike , I cannot drive without left mirror. But I have seen car drivers with both RVM 's folded (worried about hits on the valuable RVM's than their life )and the Parcel tray filled with soft toys, so that they need not see the IRVM also! Curious, with what software you did all those drawings? the cat is cute!
srikanthns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the truck driver was new, because nowadays it is best to see the head of the biker to see which way he is going to turn. I have found it more accurate than their indicator lights.

I would love to see the day when everybody does follow these simple steps of glancing at the rear view mirror & using the indicators provided by the manufacturers at no extra cost.

EDIT: Maybe these should be charged separately and compulsory. Once Indians spend on something, they remember its use.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 22nd May 2015 at 14:36.
vinit.merchant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
I guess, at their 40+ age it was too much shock to take!
Quietly slipped in a 40+ jibe. #Sneaky.

Don't think we oldies haven't noticed; we will get back.

On a serious note, good illustration.
reverse_gear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After which I went back to my vehicle to clear it off the road, then thought I should take pictures of whatever scene is left, to show the bigger picture of one single mistake of an unruly driver and the cascading effect it had !
A small confusion. Did we just put the entire blame on the tanker driver or by 'driver' you meant the lady rider?

The way I look at it wouldn't have happened if the rider didn't change lanes without seeing behind and am sure without indication. Also u shouldn't overtake from the left anyways.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely narrated

Another very annoying trait of two wheelers or for that matter even 4 wheelers is when they drive on the left lane and another hero comes out from a lane to join the main road without stopping, the guy in the left lane automatically starts veering towards the right without checking their side. It is like they have to go around the vehicle that is joining from the lane whatever may be.

Only when you honk do they realize they are not the only ones on the road.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2015 at 12:12. Reason: Typo
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Now ,howz that for a pictorial representation . Simply too good .
Thanks for sharing .
India needs more people like you.

Sad but true, i find our roads to be the most dangerous ones across the globe.
-The driving licenses are issued without any tests (on many instances)
-No rules being followed by even the educated lot, leave aside an illiterate rickshaw driver.
-Its hard in today's time in Mumbai to find a sight on the roads wherein every vehicle is following the rules.

Anyways, will not take the thread OT.

That was a wonderful pictorial . The cat pics and emotions were fun.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Curious, with what software you did all those drawings?
Crafted with MS Paint individually and put together with MS Power-point,
And Of course with some help of google.

PS: Personally, not a fan of proprietary products but these were the only platform & tools which i had access to when i created this !
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:55   #12
BHPian

What a wonderful way to teach lane discipline and the importance of RVMs. Kudos!

We need more creative people like you in the field of road safety awareness. Great work!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... to show the bigger picture of one single mistake of an unruly driver and the cascading effect it had !
  • Very well illustrated! How did you do that?
  • I think there were two mistakes by two drivers, one by the biker and the other by the lorry driver.
  • Will definitely share this with as many people as possible. I am too lazy to go into such detailed description. Than you for providing the material.
  • To add this, I have seen many drivers with folded side view mirror and busy texting while driving. I come across at least one such driver every day. They put in danger all the cars around them (cars in front, rear or at sides). Hope they also read this and keep roads bit more safer than they are.
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Wonderful explanation.
I don't know how much time can one save when he/she changes the lane when it is red light ahead?

At first, she should have either be driving in left lane. But even if that is not possible in our jam packed roads, she should have continued with middle lane as it was red light ahead.

The biggest mistake is of course changing lane without signalling and viewing ORVM.

The driver should have stopped and applied N gear and parking brake rather than viewing backwards while driving.
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The non-usage of side mirrors and indicators when shifting lanes.
Excellent pictorial narration, Tamarind and thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
...nowadays it is best to see the head of the biker to see which way he is going to turn. I have found it more accurate than their indicator lights..
Very true, vinit.merchant ! I have been following this too, and it is definitely more accurate than the indicator lights.

Most Viewed